Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front fender differences
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Front fender differences Reply with quote

Is there a difference on front fenders and if so what year did they change?

I have noticed two types: one that tapers near the bottom near the door and the other is wider at the bottom.

You can kind of see the two different fenders viewing the white and green fender in this ad:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2450847
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Front fender differences Reply with quote

Can't tell much with those pictures. I think it is the angle (position) of the fenders that makes you think they are different.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Front fender differences Reply with quote

The only difference in fenders that I am aware of has to deal with the "island" on top that accommodates the turn signals. Bigger turn indicators, bigger "islands". I may be just me but the yellow fender seems to have the smaller "island"

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Front fender differences Reply with quote

There is yet another variation; early (mostly military) cars had front fenders with the small turn indicators and 3 welded on "tabs" surrounding the headlight buckets to accept the straps for headlight covers.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Front fender differences Reply with quote

I will try to get some close up photos of mine and you can see the differences.
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Front fender differences Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
the yellow fender seems to have the smaller "island"

74 Thing was asking specifically about the white and green fenders in the ad. Do you see any differences between them?

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Front fender differences Reply with quote

I finally got around taking photos of the two fenders to body behind the front tire. The passenger side is a newer fender from The Thing Shop and it wraps around the tire. The drivers side has always been on the vehicle but I do not know the history from the owners before me and the bottom of the fender after the front tire bends inwards towards the body. I measured from the mounting seam to the outer fender and it is some 5" on the passenger side, but down to around 4" on the drivers side.

Were there two different fenders available (when shows are back I will be sure to check closely), or is it possible that my drivers side bottom of the fender was bent inward sometime and never straightened back out?

Thank!

77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Front fender differences Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:

Well played 74 Thing, now you have everyone running outside with a tape measure to get a measurement on their passenger and driver side front fenders.

(by the way, that driver side doesn't look correct)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: