Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My single owner 1959 Ghia
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: My single owner 1959 Ghia Reply with quote

Hey guys!
Little bit of a back story, in 2010, I was 17 and was asked to come and put together a 1959 Ghia that had been sitting for 30+ years for a couple who'd owned it since new. The car was given as a graduation present in 1959 to its owner and he dis assembled it in the 60's or very early 70's for a refresh. There was an earthquake in California that caused the parts to go into disarray and he just never got around to putting it back together.

Fast forward to 2010, it was simply a body on its chassis. Its wIrIng harness had been removed along with all the running gear and interior. I got to work, rewiring it with the original harness, doing the brakes and putting the engine back in. Low and behold I had it running again. That was my last interaction with the car. In 2013 I enlisted into the Army but remained in contact with the couple as they had always been wonderful hosts and wonderful people.

Fast forward again to last night. While scrolling through my emails, there was one from the couple that I had over looked from January. Upon reading it, they had stated they were down sizing and offered me their beautiful car free of charge. They had a beautiful restoration done to it. It still has its original engine, a newer swing axle transmission and the original 6 volt system. The car is one in a million and I couldn't be more honored to be the cars next care taker.

I go home to Washington next month and will be picking up the car sometime in April! I couldn't be any more honored or lucky to have been chosen to keep this beautiful piece of history. Eyes peeled for this thread to grow in time. Being that I live in Texas and the car is in Washington, work will be few and far between!

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 Standard Beetle
1969 Cessna 172K Airplane
1959 Karmann Ghia
US Army CH-47 Chinook Helicopter Repairer

Last edited by PatterBon on Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My single owner 1959 Ghia Reply with quote

Reading that story leaves no doubt... life is wonderful! Applause
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My single owner 1959 Ghia Reply with quote

Isn't it? I worked on the car for a grand total of 3 or 4 months and got it going again before school and eventually work took over and I wasn't able to go back up to it anymore. Carl, the original owner, is a vietnam Army veteran so I was pleased to inform him I had enlisted too. I've kept up with them every few months since leaving in 2011, never imagining I'd ever be the owner of their car.

The email stunned me, I had to re-read it several times to see whether or not I understood it correctly. I told them I'd be honored and they said the bill of sale and title would be prepared upon getting up there. I'm still stunned to have been asked to be the owner of this incredible car.

I've been a long time Samba member, joining in 2008 and own my fathers 1973 beetle that he bought in 1997 and drove me to pre school in. 23 years later, it's still my daily driver. I worked at a VW shop and learned how to maintain and trouble shoot them and have a huge passion for them. I drove my beetle from the Seattle area to Fort Carson, Colorado in 2014. I still drive it daily, being stationed down in Fort Hood, TX and take it on a 35 mile daily round trip drive and *knock on wood* haven't had a catastrophic failure since finishing the engine rebuild in 2010. I love these cars and am beyond excited and stunned to have another gorgeous VW to.make my.collection grow. Please don't mine the typos, I'm doing all this from my phone.
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia

Last edited by PatterBon on Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My single owner 1959 Ghia Reply with quote

Wow! Such kindness of you to work on it and them to pass it on to you. Thanks to you and the prior owner for your service. Hope to see several updates.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My single owner 1959 Ghia Reply with quote

That's awesome, congratulations!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: My single owner 1959 Ghia Reply with quote

Wow...a great story with just reward, not often you can say that. Smile

A car with a personal backstory is something you can't buy...I'm the second owner of my Ghia but it will always be "Betty's Baby"

Can't wait for the continuation of the story. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: My single owner 1959 Ghia Reply with quote

What an awesome story and a once in a lifetime opportunity! Welcome to the Ghia world, you've got one of the best and most sought after models.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: My single owner 1959 Ghia Reply with quote

Congratulations. Wonderful story. It reminded me of when I was 16 and I helped an elderly lady in the neighborhood
who owned a beautiful VW Dasher. Once I got my license she would have me drive her around for errands.
Love the color! Can't wait to see more pictures. It's always a joy to see another Karmann Ghia.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: My single owner 1959 Ghia Reply with quote

After I had left, they had sent it off to get the paint cleaned up and the interior done. The weren't able to get the mechanical fuel pump to cooperate so it currently has an electric fuel pump (I'll fix that) but other than that, it's a good working car. The engine picture is from 2010 so I don't know if they had it refreshed at all. I plan on trailering it back home since it has known issues and 36hp and I-5 doesn't sound like any fun.

This is one of those situations I'd only ever dreamed about. My beetle is a blast and has a lot of fun history but is far from restored and it's history prior to the late 1990's is unknown. This Ghia's history is entirely known and has been wonderfully taken care of through put it's life and will be a stunning head turner when it's taken out!
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: My single owner 1959 Ghia Reply with quote

PatterBon wrote:
This Ghia's history is entirely known and has been wonderfully taken care of through put it's life and will be a stunning head turner when it's taken out!

You'll have to get used to spending a lot of time talking about your Ghia to strangers. A lot of them will tell you they're not car people but they just love yours. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: My single owner 1959 Ghia Reply with quote

Cool story! Reach out to Bill at Sparkwerks regarding your fuel pump, he can restore the original if you still have it. Tim at Volksbitz in Yelm is a wiz with carburetors if yours needs a refresh.

PatterBon wrote:
After I had left, they had sent it off to get the paint cleaned up and the interior done. The weren't able to get the mechanical fuel pump to cooperate so it currently has an electric fuel pump (I'll fix that) but other than that, it's a good working car. The engine picture is from 2010 so I don't know if they had it refreshed at all. I plan on trailering it back home since it has known issues and 36hp and I-5 doesn't sound like any fun.

This is one of those situations I'd only ever dreamed about. My beetle is a blast and has a lot of fun history but is far from restored and it's history prior to the late 1990's is unknown. This Ghia's history is entirely known and has been wonderfully taken care of through put it's life and will be a stunning head turner when it's taken out!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: My single owner 1959 Ghia Reply with quote

Super cool. Just don’t slam it and put Fuchs on it.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: My single owner 1959 Ghia Reply with quote

I worked at Morris Race Engines in Port Orchard for a little bit and trust John Morris beyond a shadow of a doubt. He taught me these cars and is very thorough and good at his trade and has all the tools and equipment to keep up with a 36er.

The plan is to leave it as is. I love stock VW's and though a 36hp engine isn't practical for highway driving, the small town I grew up in is slow and quiet so it'll perfect to drive around there and maybe the occasional trip to a show if it's not too far.

I surprisingly get a lot of attention with the beetle down in Texas. Whether it be at a stop light or gas station, there's usually one or two people who want to inquire about it and wants to discuss how I got it down here. There is a 1943 Kubelwagen around town so it'll be fun to link up with him and take the classic cars out. I am beyond excited to start driving it and taking care of it. It'll recieve the same love and attention my beetle has.
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: My single owner 1959 Ghia Reply with quote

Dave in Bremerton here. Thanks for sharing your story - good to hear from more NW VW folks! John Morris recently built an engine for my long-off-the-road '63 Ghia. I've been here since 2002 - it's possible our paths have crossed before!

So are you staying in Texas or moving back here?
Good luck with the '59 ! Super-Cool Cool
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: My single owner 1959 Ghia Reply with quote

dc wrote:
Dave in Bremerton here. Thanks for sharing your story - good to hear from more NW VW folks! John Morris recently built an engine for my long-off-the-road '63 Ghia. I've been here since 2002 - it's possible our paths have crossed before!

So are you staying in Texas or moving back here?
Good luck with the '59 ! Super-Cool Cool

I was there frequently from 2010 until mid 2011. I personally believe his work is unmatched and without his patients, I wouldn't know what I do today. I do currently live in Central Texas but am hoping inbthe next two years to move back to Washington. I'm originally from the Kingston area and the Ghia is up on Orcas Island at the moment. I'll be on leave for the month of April for the first time I'm two years so I'll make a plan to run up there and pick it up and if I can get it to cooperate, you may see me running around Kitsap in it! And then infrequently in the Poulsbo/Kingston area as a grocery getter once I return to Texas.

Some old photos I took of it in 2010/2011. It was a shell with the body on its pans but nothing else was installed.

1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: My single owner 1959 Ghia Reply with quote

Dream car and what a cool Story!

Well done!

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: My single owner 1959 Ghia Reply with quote

April 10th is the dates I'm headed up to go get it. My birthday is two days later so it'll be a pretty cool birthday present. In one of their emails they'd mentioned that they believe it has a fuel delivery issue and it has an electric fuel pump. I'd live to have a working mechanical fuel pump and eventually someday put the correct transmission back into it so everything is at least period correct.

Hoping Morris Race Engines has some 36hp stuff so I can give it a quick tune up and then enjoy it! I've also never driven a 36er for a prolonged amount of time or for anything more than just a mile or two so I'm sure, even after driving just a 1600 that it's going to be a bit of a change! With each day going by, I get more excited and realize just how lucky I am to have been picked.
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: My single owner 1959 Ghia Reply with quote

PatterBon wrote:
I've also never driven a 36er for a prolonged amount of time or for anything more than just a mile or two so I'm sure, even after driving just a 1600 that it's going to be a bit of a change! With each day going by, I get more excited and realize just how lucky I am to have been picked.

It certainly requires a different mindset but not difficult to get used to when you're driving such a beautiful continental cruiser. There is the danger of taking your eyes off the road as you watch yourself driving past stores in town with large reflective windows. Wink
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My single owner 1959 Ghia Reply with quote

What a great story! Can't wait to hear more. Congratulations!
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My single owner 1959 Ghia Reply with quote

Lucky MF
It goes to show, that you can actually reap what you sow.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: