Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Termite bait
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Termite bait Reply with quote

Once upon a time I built a buggy and ran it around town for a couple of years. It weighed close to 1000 pounds and with a warmed over 1641 was fun. The bad part about it was folding up my 6'-3" body in and out of the almost lay down seating. It got parked and I sat around doodling cars.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The quick drawing that started the next go around .

So, I take the chassis from the buggy and the front clip that has been decorating the iron pile out in our grove for a while and create a reason to go out to the shop.

Some of you might remember this from the Volks rod site, but Photobucket screwed up any updates and I decided to throw the build over here. I will try to add more pictures as I can until I am up to date.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Termite bait Reply with quote

Started with a pile of leftover 5/8 OD x .090 wall steel tubing and a lot of standing back and looking. Welded together a basic frame that is going to be covered with either VW tin or custom tin.

The way this sits on the buggy chassis requires me to move the firewall/dash foreward. That means the hood has to shrink and get narrowed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Termite bait Reply with quote

I like the new body lines way better than the old ones. Looks great. Keeps the pictures coming Wink
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Termite bait Reply with quote

Here we are filling in the spaces between the lines. I'm trying to carry the swooping lines of the wheel wells and the doors in the inner panels.

The rear of the body cantilevers over the wheels, so the framing was designed to cover that as well as allow for door hinging, compartments, and gas tank support.

Suicide doors now have bear claw latches bought from the street rodder crowd.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Termite bait Reply with quote

Great work Cool
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Termite bait Reply with quote

With the VW part of this thing narrowed and the windshield posts rolled back and the idea of how to build this a moving target, the gasket line of the windshield was not flat anymore. So, split the tin and reweld back to flat using a fake blandex glass substitute.

At the same time the original dash section was scrapped and a new frame built to at lots more structure.

A shot of "So far"

In the rear structure was added in the package area along with storage .

Dash skinned and just enough room for one of those new fangled 8-track players in the middle.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Termite bait Reply with quote

Very cool build.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Termite bait Reply with quote

Tonight things will be getting more finalized.

There is a lockable box under the the tail section for tools and what-ever. There is a shelf for the battery under the other side. There are lids that when closed provide flat storage behind the seat.

More structure welded into the doors and a second attempt at a hood. The first one was a '67 that got chopped and sectioned a half dozen times into a hood. This one is a later '69 that was split down the middle and tried on for size. By taking about five inches out of the center it makes for a flat center with no raised rib and makes the nose look like the earlier rounded profile.
Here's a shot of the wood structure started on the body.

The outside is skinned with 1/8" five ply plywood screwed to the tubing. One inch pine is glued and nailed to the plywood, and 0ne inch foam in fit into the voids for stability for an inside sheet of plywood.
A pair of views of the base for what's to come for finish carpentry.

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Termite bait Reply with quote

Nice work, it's looking really cool!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Termite bait Reply with quote

Impressive originality, looks fun! But it begs the question...... On this type of build, same as fiberglass buggy bucket on pan, is there no necessity for additional support? I have often pondered building a contraption of a body on an open pan (with extended length?!). I was under the understanding that at the very least a boxed rail would be needed at the heater channel area.
I am always impressed with originality of these kind of projects, such as a Topolino etc., body shell on a bug pan. I guess after seeing those Boonie bug and Phoenix camper in the wayback got me started!!
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Termite bait Reply with quote

An artist, that's what you're sir. A metal shapeshifting artist.
Bravisimo!!!
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Termite bait Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
Impressive originality, looks fun! But it begs the question...... On this type of build, same as fiberglass buggy bucket on pan, is there no necessity for additional support? I have often pondered building a contraption of a body on an open pan (with extended length?!). I was under the understanding that at the very least a boxed rail would be needed at the heater channel area.
I am always impressed with originality of these kind of projects, such as a Topolino etc., body shell on a bug pan. I guess after seeing those Boonie bug and Phoenix camper in the wayback got me started!!

The issues you have were some of mine as well. The pan was constructed with this in mind. First off, the chassis is the usual dune buggy 14" shorter than a stock pan. The VW pan sections were replaced with an outside rail of 1"x2" 14 ga. rectangular tubing. Welded to that are fabricated 18 ga. dropped pan sections for lowered seating and an additional stiffening web. The body also is welded structure of both tubing and bent sections bolted to the chassis. I've jumped up and down in this thing and can not see any flex showing in the door gaps. That said, I don't think I will try jumping any fountains out in Vegas with is little guy.
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Termite bait Reply with quote

Now comes the part that took so long. 1/8" strips of recycled cedar siding ripped and planed and glued and trimmed and sanded.

Just because I thought it needed some kind of accent, aluminum strips epoxied in place with some pine to differ from the cedar.

Built a new tool for the next part

Steaming and bending and clamping pieces of ash for all the edging. I just about gave up on the whole thing during this part. I won't even tell you how many feet of mistakes got thrown in the burn pile.

2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Termite bait Reply with quote

I'm ready to presume you like ChrisCrafts,( sp?) or maybe have some boat building experience? The fact that you are doing wood rather than fiberglass or sheetmetal really stands out. Nice stuff. Keep it going!I have crazy thoughts of doing a build on an extended pan, on the order of a sedan delivery or woody, just dreaming.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Termite bait Reply with quote

This is cool stuff. I like the reimagined VW body lines! I was kind laughing to myself that the California buggy members would NOT be under threat of major law breaking and car confiscation for keeping this buggy registered as a Bug. It is CLEARLY a Bug.

Up here in Washington we are not facing such dire threats for altering a titled car. We are supposed to do KITV (kit vehicle title) but into the early 1990's it was just a "type 1 special motor vehicle" (kit car based on a titled car) and no inspection was even required. With the modern change there appears to not even a way to re-declare an older kit car (it is all about source of parts) so we just buy some old clapped out buggy and built it again, while feeling a little sorry for good people in other places.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Termite bait Reply with quote

Damn you have some skills! Not to mention a killer vision! Keep up the great work.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Termite bait Reply with quote

Dam nice skill set there! Are we planning some wood on the hood as well?
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Termite bait Reply with quote

A couple of coats of poly on the woodwork and the body back on the chassis. Sorting out small stuff before tearing the whole mess back apart for bodywork and more poly to the wood.

Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Termite bait Reply with quote

Time to come up with something to sit on that is in the same vain as the rest of this car. Grab some more ash and a stop at Hobby Lobby.

Two bottom and two backrests.

I'm thinking any trips more than 50 miles will require some some sort of cushion but, otherwise not too bad. At this point everything stopped on the woody while the next shiny thing caught my eye. And then another!
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Termite bait Reply with quote

Your talents continue to amaze. Great job on the seats.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: