Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Bluetooth
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fireguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Project Bluetooth Reply with quote

I have been on this site for a long time. I have read and followed so many builds. I rarely comment, but I have learned a ton from all of your builds and knowledge. I figured it was time I shared my California Clipper build.
This has been a work in progress for a long time. I bought the body when my second son was born and as sad as it is, he is old enough to drive is a couple of months. The car has survived two moves, a job change, four kids, and a back injury that almost put me in a chair for the rest of my life.
It is actually getting pretty close and I hope to drive it this summer. The body had been wrecked before I got it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I took it to a boat shop and had a guy in the fiberglass shop do the repair after hours.

I got the pan from a farmer that used it as a quick way to get around the farm. It was actually in pretty good shape. My buddy helped me shorten it. I cleaned it up and prepped it for POR15.

The POR15 is great stuff, it went on smooth and easy. I was really happy with how the pan turned out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fireguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Bluetooth Reply with quote

I have been working on this thing for so long that I have changed things a lot. I was going to use a body wrap, but I didn't like how it went on, so I decided to paint it. I have no experience with most of what I did, so it was all a learning process.
The body didn't clear the rear shock towers so I had to put on a body lift. I went with a 1.5" lift and it gave me the clearance I needed.

This is the body wrap I was going to use. I wasn't able to get it as smooth as I wanted, there are too many contours on it, and honestly, I didn't really know what I was doing.

So off came the wrap and the body work started.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fireguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Bluetooth Reply with quote

I had been quoted over $3000 for body work and paint, so I decided to give it a try myself. For not really knowing what I was doing, I think it actually turned out really good.

I shot the primer myself and it orange peeled really bad. I sanded the primer smooth and cleaned up a few spots that I didn't like.
I used pvc pipe to mock up a roll cage and borrowed a jd2 bender from a friend. I bought the tubing and watched a ton of youtube videos. I started measuring and bending and slowly it came together.

I can make two pieces of metal stay together, but it isn't pretty, so I had my nephew finish weld the cage for me.

I was really happy how the cage came out, and I only screwed up one bend, but I was able to use that piece on another part. While I had the bender I bent two nerf bars for the sides.
Fireguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Bluetooth Reply with quote

I wanted to have some kind of storage in the car so I decided to build a box for the back seat area. I used some MDF for the box and some marine vinyl for the covering. I added in some boston 6X9 speakers that I have had forever. I added some tie down points as a way to secure the lid that I can use to secure a top or a small travel bag.

I have since added a stereo and charging point.
Fireguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Bluetooth Reply with quote

Once the body work was done I talked to my friend who had access to a paint booth and we were able to use the booth to shoot the color.

The color turned out awesome. Three coats of color and four coats of clear.

I got the nerf bars welded onto the body lift and got it all painted.

made a battery box from some angle iron and a couple of muffler clamps. I used an AGM battery for a harley, it was just the right size and i could mount it any way I wanted to. Don't judge the welding on the battery tray, I told you my welding isn't pretty.

Fireguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Bluetooth Reply with quote

I started wiring last weekend and that is one of the things that really make me worry. I don't very much about it. I bought a wiring harness and spent Saturday sorting out wires and running them to front and back of the pan. I will start at the back and work my way forward. I want to be able to start it and test my wiring before I cut any holes in the dash to make sure everything is going to work how I want.
I will update as I get things done. I am so glad I found this site and the people who are on it. Your knowledge and experience have helped me a lot. My dad had a buggy when I was a kid, I barely remember it, but I have wanted to build one ever since. It is nice to finally be able to see it coming together and possibly even see a little light at the end of the tunnel.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Bluetooth Reply with quote

Very good looking build!

Stay on it, you are close!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Bluetooth Reply with quote

Nice build. Take your time with the wiring, use fuses, relays, and quality connectors. If you mount everything properly, and test each circuit as you complete them you should be successful and have a reliable setup
Busted Knuckle Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Bluetooth Reply with quote

Nice job. Keep doing what you have been doing and success will be yours.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Bluetooth Reply with quote

Really nice build, and terrific work on the body, paint and cage. The results don't look like a first time effort at all.
Fireguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Bluetooth Reply with quote

As of today she is finally legal!!!! Got the plates from the DMV and took her for her maiden voyage all the way to the gas station.

JMCFAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Bluetooth Reply with quote

Fireguy wrote:
I started wiring last weekend and that is one of the things that really make me worry. I don't very much about it. I bought a wiring harness and spent Saturday sorting out wires and running them to front and back of the pan. I will start at the back and work my way forward. I want to be able to start it and test my wiring before I cut any holes in the dash to make sure everything is going to work how I want.
I will update as I get things done. I am so glad I found this site and the people who are on it. Your knowledge and experience have helped me a lot. My dad had a buggy when I was a kid, I barely remember it, but I have wanted to build one ever since. It is nice to finally be able to see it coming together and possibly even see a little light at the end of the tunnel.

Did you take any pics of the wire runs? I am getting ready to start as well....
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Project Bluetooth Reply with quote

Awesome! And good luck with it. Looks well sorted.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Project Bluetooth Reply with quote

Looks sweet. I love that blue! Awesome idea on the nerv bars.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Project Bluetooth Reply with quote

Good job! Enjoy driving it.
dhubz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Project Bluetooth Reply with quote

tcmia wrote:

If they are pool noodles, the UV from the sun will deteriorate them pretty quick if it spends a lot of time outside. They are cheap and easy to replace, so it might not be a problem. Little bits start flaking off, and they get brittle, I know from personal experience.
bugvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Project Bluetooth Reply with quote

Applause Nice Job! Looks Great!!
Fireguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Bluetooth Reply with quote

dhubz wrote:
tcmia wrote:

If they are pool noodles, the UV from the sun will deteriorate them pretty quick if it spends a lot of time outside. They are cheap and easy to replace, so it might not be a problem. Little bits start flaking off, and they get brittle, I know from personal experience.

It is actual roll bar padding, very dense material. Hopefully it will hold up in sunlight conditions. My kids thought they were pool noodles and decided to have a pool noodle sword fight. The first swing confirmed they were not pool noodles.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: