Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. Almost done!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. Almost done! Reply with quote

Got the engine and trans out. Trans is just coated with years of muck as is the under side (axles etc.)

I want to replace the cv boots that are cracking. I also want to get the right seals etc. On the spot pointed out below, what seal or flange do I need?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am also going to clean up and paint the areas imaged below:

and a before pic before I sand and prime and paint the bay.

For the wheel hub, how much sanding is ok? and should I prime before using a wheel hub paint? Do the hubs need to come off to paint or just the wheels?

Not in a time crunch, other than a camping itch. I want to do all the trouble spots...anything apparent that I might be overlooking?

Last edited by brownbus2 on Thu May 27, 2021 11:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

I replaced my entire axles which came with new boots from Rockauto. Easy swap. Make sure you use washers under the bolts to prevent them from backing out.

Painting undercarriage can be done about anyway you want. If you're looking for protection, you can get spray cans of undercoating. If you want pretty, you're going to have to disassemble and do tens of hours of prep and then spray some Chassis Black or similar.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

It’s a lot of work. The undercoating is tough to get off. I used mineral spirits, Dawn and hot water, every kind of brush and scotchbrite, followed by sandblasting and Master series. It took me all winter but it was worth it because I was repairing or replacing so many things at once.

SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

This is what you are looking for:

https://weddleindustries.com/products/091-301-197/091-301-197

There are a couple of other seals/washers etc that you can replace while you are at it - here is the list of parts I ordered from Weddle when I did mine a couple of weeks ago (091 trans).

Dont pay attention to the qty's - I ordered enough to do 2

'78 westy, '64 sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

Nice! Is the gray just primer or a top coat?

I am using Dawn on the tin. Put it all in a large tote. ~~They use Dawn to clean wildlife after big oil spills.~~

Using Gunk and nylon brushes on the trans.

I also plan on cleaning up the engine -painting manifolds and fan shroud, breather, intake etc.

brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

Thanks SlvrSrfr!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

brownbus2 wrote:

I am also going to clean up and paint the areas imaged below:

and a before pic before I sand and prime and paint the bay.

For the wheel hub, how much sanding is ok? and should I prime before using a wheel hub paint? Do the hubs need to come off to paint or just the wheels?

Not in a time crunch, other than a camping itch. I want to do all the trouble spots...anything apparent that I might be overlooking?

I’ve cleaned up and undercoated the bottom of 2 buses. I used a 6” wire wheel on my drill to clean the undercarriage, then I used rusty metal primer and rustoleum spray on undercoating to finish the job.

Here’s a pic of my ‘71. You can see the wheel wells some of the frame with the undercoating and I used high temp engine paint for the drums and back plates.

I’ve had a lot of good luck with the EMPI CV boots, they seem to last the longest. You might want to also consider replacing the shift coupler and rebuilding your shift rod while everything is out.
’65 Deluxe Build
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

What parts do I need for the shift rod rebuild?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

I would look at the Bentley or your shift rod to figure out which bushings and how many you need. But here’s a couple of links. I know many people in the forum hate BD, but I haven’t had any issues with them. I’ve also ordered plenty of stuff from CIP with out issues. Looks like they have the red coupler with the urethane inserts.

https://www.busdepot.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Shift+rod+

https://www2.cip1.com/searchresults.asp?Search=Shift+rod
’65 Deluxe Build
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

cip1 has the HD orange one as well. Not sure how much 'better' that is than the empi
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

On the tranny, you want to replace the two output flange seals, the input shaft seal, and the shift rod seal in the nose come. The shift rod seal varies with the nose cone design, there is also a dust boot. A later bus would have come with a 091 "6 rib" transmission, so you probably needs the parts for a '76 and later bus.

Unless they have been damaged, you likely do not need the lock rings for the side bearing nuts. You might remove them for inspection before ordering parts.

Your grease build up may well just be from the CV joints oozing the oil out of their grease, this is absolutely normal and not a problem. If you don't get around to cleaning and relubing the CV every few years then use a long grease needle under the small end of the boot to force a bit of new grease into the CV bearing. Note, you want to get the grease all the way into the bearing and not just pump grease into the boot.

Personally I would just scrape away any loose undercoating and paint and then use something like Waxol on the underneath side of the body. Painting that area well is a ton of work.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

When you clean up your tins, see if you can save the OG marking seen at the top of this photo (the drivers side rearmost tin)

You don't see many original Inspector Otto marks anymore.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

If you really lucky you will have the rare made in Ordnung tin, labeled IO, of course.
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

is the output flange seal https://www.ssaircooled.com/vw-seal-transmission-to-drive-flange-left-or-right-091301189a

?
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

Brown bus, I am in the middle of doing the engine compartment and the ceiling above the transmission . I used dish soap , Fantastic, Simple Green, wire brushes , nylon brushes , wash cloths..... whatever it took to get the “ muck off”. Then used POR 15 metal ready followed by POR 15 on the ceiling and and surface rust spots after sanding them. The project has taken on a life of it’s own and has been “ stop and go” with many interruptions as our winter weather has been longer and colder than usual. Make sure you clean and refurbish the heater bellows as well as cleaning the shifter rods and replacing the shifter bushings. Replace ANY questionable wiring and terminals, and of course all of the vapor line connections and fuel hoses. Several posts going on right now for reference. Not a job for the “ faint of heart”. You look to be doing an excellent job! Bob
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

brownbus2 wrote:
is the output flange seal https://www.ssaircooled.com/vw-seal-transmission-to-drive-flange-left-or-right-091301189a

?

Yes
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

Looking at cip1 and their shift rod couplers they have a few different choices.

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D311%2D711%2D245%2DGR
which has as hex nut (Im assuming no wire to wrap)

and
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D311%2D711%2D245%2DHD

which has the set screw.

will either work? or is it imperative that I use the set screw and wire wrap?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

If it were me I would buy the HD one with the urethane bushings and the grub screw with the hole for the wire. The wire insures the screw won’t back out on you.
’65 Deluxe Build
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

brownbus2 wrote:
Looking at cip1 and their shift rod couplers they have a few different choices.

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D311%2D711%2D245%2DGR
which has as hex nut (Im assuming no wire to wrap)

and
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D311%2D711%2D245%2DHD

which has the set screw.

will either work? or is it imperative that I use the set screw and wire wrap?

I would be more inclined to buy whatever CB Performance is selling.
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

in the process of cleaning and painting the tins etc. Can water/soap get inside the air intake dist.? Or should I just clean the outside as best as I can w/o getting water inside?

Also how freely should the flap inside the throttle body move? When i removed it from the air dist. I noticed the spring wasnt moving it when the spring was pulled. Pressing my finger on it did not move it until a bit of pressure was applied.

Im assuming that would make it run very erratic if it was sticking? What is suitable to lube that flap if needed?

Pics later of the progress.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: