Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. Almost done!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

Is the plenum off the engine?, if so water inside is OK, just dry it out soon after.
As for the TB, if the butterfly is sticking in the bore it's worn and should be replaced, unless you enjoy driving with a gas pedal that sticks closed.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

Haven't had a problem with pedal sticking, butterfly seems to be moving much better now.

Plenum is off and going in the ajax/dawn tote. I'm assuming if oil breather is off I can clean it up in the same fashion?

Thanks!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

There are two throttle arms/return springs on most bus throttle bodies. One moves independently of the main lever, try moving the throttle exactly where the cable attaches, not where the return spring or EGR attach.

If you ever plan on reinstalling the EGR, clean out its distribution pipes inside the plenum now. (Soak in solvent and a ten pack of pipe cleaners, plus some elbow grease. Smile

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

still cleaning and painting bits-manifold, breather box, tin etc.

I want to remove fan shroud to clean and paint it and fan.

Do I need an open ended wrench for that alternator mounting bolt?

Is is a must to remove the exhaust to pull off the shroud? i'd rather not disturb the non-leaking exhaust.

If I must remove the exhaust has anyone with ceramic coated or ceramichrome exhaust cleaned and shined it up? After 10 years mine is getting some surface rust.
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

I just discovered something I want to share with you. I am almost ready to
Install the aluminum kit for sending unit access... so doing the final cleaning of the vapor lines, and replacing the fuel hose pieces that connect them. Lots of attention is given to replacing these connections, but I have never read that anyone recommended checking and cleaning the inside of the metal piping of the vapor system. There are two long metal vapor lines across the top of the fuel tank. I started wire wheeling the one to the front, and “just for grins” blew thru the tube.... except NO air made it to the other end. I ran a piece of bailing wire thru it.... ran into a clog about half the way thru. Took a while to break thru, then pushed a heavy gauge electrical wire thru, combined with carb cleaner. The clog and other deposits of surface rust and black granular deposits broke free and came out. So now , I think it wise to check as much of the vapor plumbing as I can. So, I would add this routine to you list!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

Thanks! Thankfully I havent replaced the vapor lines yet. Its on the list.

Next on this list is getting the damn exhaust off the driver-side head bolts. Sad
Zeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

The Volkswagen Ranch, you mentioned ..."The clog and other deposits of surface rust and black granular deposits broke free..."

Did you take a picture of this mass/mess? Could you share?

Thanks for bringing this up.
Z
Single Weber Carb
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

Didn’t take pics, but it just looked like black powder dust, and a little of rust powder as well . Sprayed carb cleaner into each of the long tubes, closed with fingers on both ends and shook like a cocktail ! Then blew out with compressed air, forced bailing wire through quite a few times, then thick red electrical wire. The only clogs were in the top 2 lines that run above the gas tank. Blew thru the other lines , all clear ... except the joint behind the spare tire wheel well. That one was “ pinched” closed. Pics to follow. Bob
Zeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

Thank you Bob. Will add this step when I get to this. The methodology described is plenty and better than the picture in this case.
Sinc.
Z
Single Weber Carb
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

The 1/2” copper tubing is a sheath over the vapor hose. This joint won’t come apart again ... at least for quite some time. Bob
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

Lookin good Bob.

i have some pics from my progress on my phone. Ill try to post them tomorrow and some commentary.

What started out as a "drop the engine to change the tank" task has turned into something more. Detailing the engine and painting the engine bay and surroundings, had the fuel lines from Scott so Im putting those in. New plugs, seals, CV boots, shift rod couplers and seals etc.
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

Yep, know the drill.... I started with the same plan, but “‘while I was there” collateral damage just kept happening. Oh well , she is at a shop in Phoenix to get the very nicely rebuilt engine installed .... and probably a couple of additional repairs I just can’t do! You are doing the right thing. If you don’t “ do it all” while the engine is out you will look back and wish you had.
Zeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

brownbus2 wrote:
Lookin good Bob.

What started out as a "drop the engine to change the tank" task has turned into something more. Detailing the engine and painting the engine bay and surroundings, had the fuel lines from Scott so Im putting those in. New plugs, seals, CV boots, shift rod couplers and seals etc.

Indeed and exactly what I am guessing will happen to me. My original objective is the same as yours, brownbus2, ... While I am learning on the 'how tos' and planning the approach I am anticipating curveballs and detours along the way.

Currently, at the stage of getting to know the engine status before removal to have baseline data.

These threads, sharing from community and assistance are crucial for noobs like me.
Single Weber Carb
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. advice wanted Reply with quote

made a bit of progress.

cleaned up engine a bit, cleaned and primed and painted some of the underside of the bus

painted tin, manifolds and some tin are being painted again today (tip:if painting engine tin etc. outside, dont do it during a pollen storm)

underside so far

can ya see the pollen?

more pics soon.

i like a dumb azz took apart my fan....Sad anyone have one that is OG not taken apart?)

shroud painting this week.
Zeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. Reply with quote

Brownbus2,

Excellent. I am enjoying your journey and learning along the way. As I said before I am anticipating all these steps to fall on my lap as I get going on mine. Thus, going through yours it is extremely helpful. Thank you.

You mentioned, "i like a dumb azz took apart my fan....Sad anyone have one that is OG not taken apart?)" Why is that? I wasn't planning on doing this, but also did not know it is problematic to do so. Could you share why?

Also, did you only use the ATV jack to drop engine/tran as a unit without any other support (2nd jack to support trany while lowering)?

Thanks,
Z
Single Weber Carb
Zeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. Reply with quote

OK Brownbus2, I found a recent chat regarding the fan/shroud and potential issues if not taking care to keep it balanced...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Now I see the potential problems....good to know.
Z
Single Weber Carb
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. Reply with quote

Zeta

I used the ATV jack for both... but I lowered trans portion onto a furniture dolly ($8 at HF).

ATV jack is now extended and I am using a cinder block to support tranny portion.

When cleaning my fuel rails and the intake plenum I pulled the wires into the CS valve//one came out without the spade end. So when i went to take off the little boot I noticed what seems to be a very clogged CS valve

also like a dummy my labels came off of my cs valve wires...where do the two wires lead? TS2 and hot? or?

Zeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. Reply with quote

brownbus2 wrote:
Zeta

I used the ATV jack for both... but I lowered trans portion onto a furniture dolly ($8 at HF).

ATV jack is now extended and I am using a cinder block to support tranny portion.

Thank you! This helps.

Sorry, cannot offer suggestions regarding your new finding. I am at the receiving end when it comes to information/knowledge. Not much I can offer at this stage, aside from encouragements and best wishes to successful outcomes with your project.
Single Weber Carb
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/tran out, cleaning up, PM, painting etc. Reply with quote

trying to get fan shroud back on.

Having trouble lining up the dipstick tube with boot.

If I line those up the bolts dont line up-- and vice-versa.

Is there a trick anyone has used?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: