Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

10mm nut on wiper shaft spins freely
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChronicTiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: 10mm nut on wiper shaft spins freely Reply with quote

85 Vanagon, passenger side.

Has anyone had this issue? Attempting to pull the wiper arms to clean up the splines and add proper washers BUT....

The 10mm nut on the wiper shaft just spins freely, it wont advance in either direction.

Advice?

Thanks!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 10mm nut on wiper shaft spins freely Reply with quote

If you are lucky, its just the nut threads that have failed. If you have access to power tools, a small impact gun while pulling up on the arm, you might get lucky and spin the nut off.

Other option is to try and split the nut, not easy because it's recessed in the arm.

This is one of those jobs the more time you take, the less time it takes. If the threads on the shaft are toast, I believe you can still by replacements, but you are likely looking at pulling the dash for access on your first go around. The other option I've heard of is to remove the threaded piece and then drill and tap the shaft for a bolt. Good luck.
ChronicTiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: 10mm nut on wiper shaft spins freely Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
If you are lucky, its just the nut threads that have failed. If you have access to power tools, a small impact gun while pulling up on the arm, you might get lucky and spin the nut off.

Other option is to try and split the nut, not easy because it's recessed in the arm.

This is one of those jobs the more time you take, the less time it takes. If the threads on the shaft are toast, I believe you can still by replacements, but you are likely looking at pulling the dash for access on your first go around. The other option I've heard of is to remove the threaded piece and then drill and tap the shaft for a bolt. Good luck.

Thanks for the info! I'm taking it to a friends later who has more tools and is a better wrencher than myself. Collecting ideas from the people here will be helpful.
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 10mm nut on wiper shaft spins freely Reply with quote

If you haven't read this yet, it can be helpful:

https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=145
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChronicTiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 10mm nut on wiper shaft spins freely Reply with quote

bobhill8 wrote:
If you haven't read this yet, it can be helpful:

https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=145

Good stuff Bob. I will def put it back together with this info in mind - if I ever get the thing off!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 10mm nut on wiper shaft spins freely Reply with quote

Lever arm up with piece of wood or plastic while turning nut?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 10mm nut on wiper shaft spins freely Reply with quote

Anything you can get between the bottom of the nut and the shaft to put some pressure toward the end of the shaft might help.
You need to be cautious as trying to stick something like a small screwdriver #2 in there can dangerous to you A screwdriver is nothing but a knife with a flattened end.
If you have a small dykes like flush cut might work to get the edges under the nut while turning the nut.

Or as said between the bottom of the wiper arm and the body to add pressure to engage any threads.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
ChronicTiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 10mm nut on wiper shaft spins freely Reply with quote

Heyyyyy! Got it off thanks to the good advice here. Threads on shaft beat down. I think the PO put the wrong nut on. Who knows. I’m going to use a hand die and cut some new threads. Prob not enough meat to recut 10mm threads. I’ll try and then step down. Think this is a decent plan?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 10mm nut on wiper shaft spins freely Reply with quote

If the nut doesn't need much torque--see above posts, I wonder if a coupling nut with JB Weld might be able to restore the threads.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 10mm nut on wiper shaft spins freely Reply with quote

New shafts are available at the venders.

https://www.vancafe.com/251955215-p/251955215.htm

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 10mm nut on wiper shaft spins freely Reply with quote

Run a 6mm die over the suspect threads, it MAY reform them.

It may not.

But it is worth the try.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 10mm nut on wiper shaft spins freely Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

It may not.

But it is worth the try.

Dave

and then wedge a piece of aluminum foil or a thin sliver of stainless steel in between the nut and the shaft. it only needs to hold once <grin>.

be SURE to use a washer that slips over the shaft and presses on the cast part of the wiper arm. this will put downpressure on the splines, which you should clean with a brass brush to remove any trace of wiper aluminum. and then, were it mine with a stripped thread, i'd add some red loctite to the shaft to lock it all in place. removable, but ya need some heat.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChronicTiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 10mm nut on wiper shaft spins freely Reply with quote

Here is the suspect wiper shaft.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ChronicTiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 10mm nut on wiper shaft spins freely Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

It may not.

But it is worth the try.

Dave

Thanks for the advice......Let you know what happens.
ChronicTiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 10mm nut on wiper shaft spins freely Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Anything you can get between the bottom of the nut and the shaft to put some pressure toward the end of the shaft might help.
You need to be cautious as trying to stick something like a small screwdriver #2 in there can dangerous to you A screwdriver is nothing but a knife with a flattened end.
If you have a small dykes like flush cut might work to get the edges under the nut while turning the nut.

Or as said between the bottom of the wiper arm and the body to add pressure to engage any threads.

Used a plastic wedge, and pulled, twisted with vice grips. Wasn't bad. Hope I can cut these threads so the dash can stay put!
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 10mm nut on wiper shaft spins freely Reply with quote

Half ass solution, but it looks like you could put a few washers in there so the new nut holds to the "good" part of the shaft threads. Or if the nut really moves that freely, use two nuts one on top of the other.

The real way to do it is to pull the shaft and put a new one in there. Don't tighten that thing down too hard or you'll strip it again. It doesn't need to be that tight as the wiper arm is torqued by the spline.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 10mm nut on wiper shaft spins freely Reply with quote

I did the old cut it off and drill and retread before I read the GW article. Works really well.

You can change the drivers side ass without pulling the dash. I still think I would cut and drill before I replace the shaft. It was more positive than my stock un modified one is.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 10mm nut on wiper shaft spins freely Reply with quote

Take a metric bolt whose thread pitch and diameter match what the shaft used to have. Degrade them with a wire wheel and sand paper. Then take a nut and thread it on this "compromised" thread. Heat it red hot with a hand held mapp torch and hit it with a hamer and "forge" the nut to the degraded threads. When cool. take the nut and give it a try. Total cost, a ruined bolt from FLAPS or ACE.

Iffy, but better than removing the dash.

Or heat the nut red hot and thread it on the shaft and with Vice Grips, squeeze it down.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 10mm nut on wiper shaft spins freely Reply with quote

I broke a stud off once. Drilled and tapped it too. Didn't want to pull the dash. Worked fine.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 10mm nut on wiper shaft spins freely Reply with quote

As an absolute last resort or possible option in lieu of a nut (edit: or new smaller screw)....

drill horizontal hole at shaft above splines, insert roll pin?

Ideally, though tricky, one might locate the hole a hair lower than where nut seats. i.e. the jam fit and compression of roll pin would force the arm down against the tapered splines.

BUT....

IIRC, the wiper arm part where nut seats is soft (pot metal? like the window roller arms?) so might be prone to cracking.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: