Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Number Help
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
questrov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Engine Number Help Reply with quote

Any clue what this Engine Number decodes to? Maybe a 65 40HP but I can’t work it out Crying or Very sad

I was told the D stamped next to VW meant it was factory rebuilt at some point?

It came installed in a 67 Baja Bug with a H30/31 PICT carb.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Number Help Reply with quote

April '65 1200 according to these pages. The "D" was normal after January 1965.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/engine_letters.php

Odd that the generator pedestal spells Firing Order in English, not German. Aftermarket alternator stand, maybe?

Rebuilt (exchange) motors were marked with the "VW in a circle" remanufactured symbol and/or an "X".

questrov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Number Help Reply with quote

Thanks for the links, found the first one but never saw the ‘letters’ page, now it makes sense.

Strange on the firing order numbers in English but probably a good thing as my German is terrible Laughing
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Number Help Reply with quote

I have a question concerning the "VW in a Circle" symbol.
The engine number in my '66 matches the number on the Warranty Voucher
from the factory when the car was new. The letter "F" is followed by the numerals. Barely visible before the "F" is the VW logo in a circle. It does not look like what we now often see as meaning "recycled"----arrows rotating counter clockwise ----but it is pretty hard to tell.
Also, below the distributor the letters "WH" are stamped. Does that mean anything?

61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Number Help Reply with quote

You no doubt remember seeing my '66 at the Funfest right? It still has it's original 1300 and it too has the circled VW mark before the engine number so that is not out of the ordinary.
However, under the distributor is stamped WG. Seen them before on other engines but have no clue as to what those digits indicate, perhaps a code for which line they came off of?
For reference the chassis number is 116808XXX/April '66.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Number Help Reply with quote

Yes, I remember your car well Bruce. It is a gem. So---I guess the VW logo is nothing to fear. The "WH" ("WG" in your case) must have meant something to someone somewhere along the way----but probably not a date code because ours (116083xxx) is from August of '65. Maybe the initials of the engine builders-----Wilhelm and Gerhardt built yours but Wolfgang and Heinz built ours.
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Number Help Reply with quote

I know the original topic/question is kind of old, but it is most probably a exchange engine (or factory rebuilt).

Up to September 1968 exchange engines and engine blocks kept the original engine number and got an additional exchange engine serial added.

Exchange engines
Got a exchange symbol and a exchange serial engine number. For rebuild used engines that were manufactured before August 1965 (start of the use of engine letter codes) are identified by an added engine letter according to Hp.

Where this letter can be found

Exchange engine blocks got a exchange symbol, Letter code for Hp, "R" for replacement engine block and exchange engine serial. It was stamped at the same place as exchange engines got there exchange engine serial stamped.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Number Help Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Odd that the generator pedestal spells Firing Order in English, not German. Aftermarket alternator stand, maybe?

My 65 engine has an English alternator stand too:

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Number Help Reply with quote

Do the above images mean that a 36hp engine with an "A" stamped is an exchange engine block with the same serial number as original and no other markings to indicate it's not the original engine?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Number Help Reply with quote

An exchange engine (rebuilt) up to september 1968 kept it's (from the engine/core that was rebuilt) original engine number but also got an sequential "exchange engine" number stamped. For the 36hp the exchange serial number usually was on the side of the generator tower. Engines rebuilt after August 1965 (where the rebuilt core was older) got the added engine "hp" letter code ("A" for 36hp) in the location in first photo. Exchage engine blocks also got a "R" before the exchange engine number (I don't really know why they needed to be extra pointed out). Not noted in the workshop manual, but I think if a new replacement block where used for the rebuild it got the exchange engine serial stamped in the original spot for engine numbers.

From October 1968 to Mars 1972 they removed the original (core) engine number and they only had the exchange engine serial number. For the 36hp it would have got the exchange stamp, letter code "A", exchange serial and a "X" (followed by a "R" if exchange block) in the milled off area.

From April 1972 they also milled of the core engine numbers, but it only came with the exchange stamp and letter code and you transferred the (to the car) original engine code to the new engine. Usually they also stamped the X (and R ) at the end on the new engine as well. This were to be done at an authorised workshop and the old replaced original engine should have got it's (apart from letter code) engine numbers stamped over with "X".

Same with new exchange engine blocks. As a side note 13-1600 blocks (rebuild or exchange) only came with an "A" and cold be made into AB, AE, AS.. engines.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: