Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing radio question & what is this mark ?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Thing radio question & what is this mark ? Reply with quote

I know my 74 Thing once had a dealer installed radio, but unfortunately its long gone. These holes in the sheet metal are under the dash next to the ash tray. Would this be the place the dealer would have put the radio ? What do I need in terms of a bezel/bracket and the correct radio that would be correct for a 1974 dealer install ?

On a side note....what is this writing on the underside of the ashtray ? Does anyone have this on their Thing ? It is in a thick paint almost like nail polish.

Thanks guys
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gene Kisner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing radio question & what is this mark ? Reply with quote

The OEM radios that were dealer-installed were JUNK! Remember, they are over forty years old. IE, forty years out of date!
Unless you are trying to keep your Thing 100% original don't bother looking for an OEM radio. Go to Walmart, or anywhere else, and get a new radio with a mounting kit to hang it anywhere you like under the dash. Dealers mounted them anywhere along the bottom they felt like. Just be certain your antenna cable will reach. There are some glove compartment covers that have provisions for a radio, check The Thing Shop website. I personally think it is a BIG MISTAKE to cut through the firewall and extend the radio into the front bonnet area.
If you really want photos, and details, of an OEM radio let me know and I will take some of our Acapulco installation that is 100% original. Most of the time the dealers mounted them in the center so that the driver could reach them. In our case, it is mounted to the extreme right, passengers side, in order to clear the air conditioner.
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing radio question & what is this mark ? Reply with quote

I am working on a period correct restoration for my Acapulco..I dont mind listening to 1970s technology..lol. I am wanting a radio and the parts to mount it that would have been California dealer installed in 74.
Thanks for the great info
LoveMyThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Thing radio question & what is this mark ? Reply with quote

A Type3 under-dash radio mount is likely to be the most period correct. Pair it with a Motorola Sapphire XVIII AM radio. This would have been approximately what VWoA would have provided the dealers to install in your 1974 Acapulco. (A dealer might install an older model of the same radio depending on what they had in stock.)

Track down a clean example of each. Have the radio serviced.

These radios are 1970s AM radios and sound like it. If you want a modern sound bumping your Thing, you will need a whole different audio install. If you like the insane Vegas clown look of modern radios, go to Best Buy and grab the flashiest you can find.

If you want your Thing to look right and completely orig, then you need a 70s Motorola Sapphire in a Type3 under dash mount.

I modded my orig Sapphire AM radio to accept bluetooth. I installed a bluetooth receiver behind the dash and a hidden switch in the glovebox. In bluetooth mode, the radio puts out great mono sound because the digital signal from my iphone is so much cleaner than an AM radio signal.

The original 1974 speaker (yes, the dealer would have installed only one), on the other hand, may be more difficult to find. And if you find one, you may want to update the actual speaker inside the plastic box.

Or, just install thingshop aftermarket speaker mounts up front.

Anyway, the Type3 radio mount and Sapphire looks like this:

It’ll install cleanly under your dash.

And the speaker:

Check out this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=467710
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing radio question & what is this mark ? Reply with quote

Thanks all for the great info, this helps me out a bunch. Now I will locate a radio and the elusive speaker....fun
The factory instructions are fantastic ! I think this must be for a 73 as I am not sure the radio will fit directly in front of the heater duct on a 74. It must go to the right of the ash tray, or wherever the dealer decided it would fit.

Good stuff / thanks
LoveMyThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing radio question & what is this mark ? Reply with quote

Glad to help. The radio and mount should be relatively easy to find. You might also find the rarer AM/FM model.

The speaker can also look like this:

But good luck finding one of these. I personally recommend installing thingshop front speaker mounts. They look more stock than the stock speaker does because they use the spot that appears to be made for front speakers.

https://www.thethingshop.com/FRONT-SPEAKER-PANELS-PAIR/productinfo/181+RFSP/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: