Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket 3 piece intake - trimmable is the solution?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Aftermarket 3 piece intake - trimmable is the solution? Reply with quote

72 1600 DP.
From the looks of my situation I'm guessing the generator has to go before I can change out an OEM style intake.
Are these trimmable three piece jobs worth a crap?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket 3 piece intake - trimmable is the solution? Reply with quote

Personally: I would remove the entire fan shroud first.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket 3 piece intake - trimmable is the solution? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Am I correct in assuming it is a complete pain to do that with the engine in the car?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket 3 piece intake - trimmable is the solution? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Am I correct in assuming it is a complete pain to do that with the engine in the car?
Next Winter when I'm bored I would like to visit that angle. For this Spring / Summer I want to get the car on the road unless these three piece jobs are a piece of sh*t.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket 3 piece intake - trimmable is the solution? Reply with quote

Do you mean this one?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm using one of those in my '74, haven't had any problems with it. The plating quickly burned off of the left heat riser but it didn't really hurt it. I do believe you could install it with the generator in if you had to, if you can get the old one out.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket 3 piece intake - trimmable is the solution? Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
Do you mean this one?

I'm using one of those in my '74, haven't had any problems with it. The plating quickly burned off of the left heat riser but it didn't really hurt it. I do believe you could install it with the generator in if you had to, if you can get the old one out.

That's the one!
I would cut the heat riser off with a saw on the right side that way I could probably slide it off to the left without a problem.
Do they come with a sealant to seal the riser tubes?

Pictures are worth a thousand words. This is what the skilled mechanic / brain surgeon who last worked on the car did.

beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket 3 piece intake - trimmable is the solution? Reply with quote

I just used some high temp RTV sealant on those heat riser tubes.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket 3 piece intake - trimmable is the solution? Reply with quote

That hole looks familiar, that's what happened to my original one also. It doesn't come with any sealant. I trimmed mine to size and installed it without any, doesn't seem to leak any noticeable amount. I have read that some people do seal them. I would probably just try some high temp rtv silicone if I were to, that way it could be taken apart easy if needed. I did need to use a longer throttle cable, I don't know if the manifold is set back more or if it is because of the aftermarket carb I'm using, probably the carb. I used a cable for a bay window bus and trimmed it to size.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket 3 piece intake - trimmable is the solution? Reply with quote

All I have to do is find one.
Moore and Jbugs is out of stock.

Bug City is a go.
Lemons 4 Gigi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket 3 piece intake - trimmable is the solution? Reply with quote

Bug53 wrote:

Bug City is a go.

Check Amazon...
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket 3 piece intake - trimmable is the solution? Reply with quote

Cip1 has them in stock.

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-129-701-M
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket 3 piece intake - trimmable is the solution? Reply with quote

Lemons 4 Gigi wrote:
Bug53 wrote:

Bug City is a go.

Check Amazon...

Since the cancel culture Amazon gets not one more penny from me
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket 3 piece intake - trimmable is the solution? Reply with quote

No Amazon for me either, the richest person on earth and zero philanthropy.
SVdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket 3 piece intake - trimmable is the solution? Reply with quote

X2
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket 3 piece intake - trimmable is the solution? Reply with quote

Bug53 wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Next Winter when I'm bored I would like to visit that angle. For this Spring / Summer I want to get the car on the road unless these three piece jobs are a piece of sh*t.

In 2019 I removed a pair of Kadrons on my near-stock 1600 dual-port to retrofit a stock single-carb intake manifold for a temporary repair. Removing a dual-port fan shroud that has the thermostat and the air flaps' connecting rod on the back face of the shroud is nearly impossible. The connecting rod passes underneath the doghouse oil cooler and its two attachment points to the air flap axles cannot be reached with the engine in place.

What I did was to remove the alternator only, leaving the shroud in place. The only special tool you need is a 36 mm socket for the fan attachment nut.
-Disconnect the battery
-Remove the fan belt, pulley tightness shims, outer (rear) pulley. Keep the inner/front pulley with its shoulder on the gen shaft.
-Place your 36 mm socket and a possible short extension onto a breaker bar, then position the socket onto the fan nut that's inside the fan shroud
-Place a large adjustable wrench onto the gen/alt shaft inner pulley's shoulder which should have 2 parallel surfaces
-Hold the wrench steady, and with your right hand pull the socket/breaker bar to the right to break loose the fan nut
-Remove the fan nut and large wavy washer
-Loosen the gen/alt strap and push it frontwards so that the bottom of the strap no longer contacts the stand
-Disconnect the wires from the gen/alt
-Remove the 4 small bolts (should be M6 wrench size) or screws (not stock) that hold the gen/alt backing plate to the fan shroud. At this point the gen/alt is loose, but the backing plate is still firmly attached to the gen/alt.
-Pull the gen'alt slightly rearward so that the center shaft pulls off the fan that remains inside the shroud. You should be able to also lift the gen/alt upwards to remove it from the engine. The large shouldered hub on which the fan center sits will come out with the backing plate. Make sure it does not fall off and you lose it. Look at the hub to observe the 2 parallel straight raised sections.

Installation is in reverse order, though you must be careful to fit the fan back onto the hub so that the straight sections of the fan center fit onto those on the hub. Place the wavy washer onto the hub, then the 36 mm nut. When you have the gen/alt back on the shroud face, spin the gen to make sure that the fan is not cocked inside due to misalignment on the hub. Tighten the fan nut to spec, and make sure your adjustable wrench does not slip off the gen pulley hub.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket 3 piece intake - trimmable is the solution? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Bug53 wrote:
Cusser wrote:

In 2019 I removed a pair of Kadrons on my near-stock 1600 dual-port to retrofit a stock single-carb intake manifold for a temporary repair. Removing a dual-port fan shroud that has the thermostat and the air flaps' connecting rod on the back face of the shroud is nearly impossible. The connecting rod passes underneath the doghouse oil cooler and its two attachment points to the air flap axles cannot be reached with the engine in place.

What I did was to remove the alternator only, leaving the shroud in place. The only special tool you need is a 36 mm socket for the fan attachment nut.
-Disconnect the battery
-Remove the fan belt, pulley tightness shims, outer (rear) pulley. Keep the inner/front pulley with its shoulder on the gen shaft.
-Place your 36 mm socket and a possible short extension onto a breaker bar, then position the socket onto the fan nut that's inside the fan shroud
-Place a large adjustable wrench onto the gen/alt shaft inner pulley's shoulder which should have 2 parallel surfaces
-Hold the wrench steady, and with your right hand pull the socket/breaker bar to the right to break loose the fan nut
-Remove the fan nut and large wavy washer
-Loosen the gen/alt strap and push it frontwards so that the bottom of the strap no longer contacts the stand
-Disconnect the wires from the gen/alt
-Remove the 4 small bolts (should be M6 wrench size) or screws (not stock) that hold the gen/alt backing plate to the fan shroud. At this point the gen/alt is loose, but the backing plate is still firmly attached to the gen/alt.
-Pull the gen'alt slightly rearward so that the center shaft pulls off the fan that remains inside the shroud. You should be able to also lift the gen/alt upwards to remove it from the engine. The large shouldered hub on which the fan center sits will come out with the backing plate. Make sure it does not fall off and you lose it. Look at the hub to observe the 2 parallel straight raised sections.

Installation is in reverse order, though you must be careful to fit the fan back onto the hub so that the straight sections of the fan center fit onto those on the hub. Place the wavy washer onto the hub, then the 36 mm nut. When you have the gen/alt back on the shroud face, spin the gen to make sure that the fan is not cocked inside due to misalignment on the hub. Tighten the fan nut to spec, and make sure your adjustable wrench does not slip off the gen pulley hub.

I like this
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: