Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying and registering a car in Germany
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

My son is attending college in Germany under a student visa. He will be there a few more years. He really wants a VW, ideally an older bus (T2, T3). Right now he relies on public transportation.

I've been thinking about buying one for him. What kind of hurdles might he encounter on purchasing / registering / insuring / etc, a 30+ year old vehicle there? Is the vehicle inspection process difficult?

I will either do a paypal transaction, or transfer the money to him.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

Asking on reddit.com/r/de might be a good idea.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

I suggest talking to someone currently in the military or the ex-pats websites would have the info you need.
I was over in Europe, most of the countries including Germany.
He just needs to talk to the local registration office, I know they will speak English!
It's really not a big deal. It's just like buying a car here.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

https://www.simplegermany.com/buying-a-car-in-germany/

an ex-pat website.

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

Hello!

make sure the TUV inspection or whatever needed is up to date on the vehicle and that it`s up to date with emission standards to be able to drive in some cities, if required for the vehicle.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

That is a very good point. The emmission standards are very strict over there.
My own Syncro was registered in Berlin and had the LPG fuel system installed.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

Quote:
Is the vehicle inspection process difficult?

The process is simple.

Passing the inspection...... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

It’s Germany. There are reasons people have bumper stickers

Till TUV will us part

Jalopnik had a great article on TUV recently. There probably isn’t a car on US roads more than 3 years old that could pass first time
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

You need a permanent residence to have a car registered on your name.
https://www.quora.com/Can-a-foreigner-buy-a-car-in...=104174659
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
You need a permanent residence to have a car registered on your name.
https://www.quora.com/Can-a-foreigner-buy-a-car-in...=104174659

Unless your a member of the military. So there is a solution - get your kid to enlist!
The civilians working on a base in Europe were also driving cars they owned so they were probably included in the NATO agreement.

0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

Short of it is dont do it.

The problem is all the glass in the van and other random items that are a little differiant. Germany standerds are very differiant then amerian and it wont pass inspection for importing or regustration. Buy in germany or buy a differiant type of vehicial in germany.

Also, germany has very high taxs on old vehecials to prevent to many old cars on the road.

If these restrictions whent inplace, every other german home would have a 66 mustang. Razz

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

0cean wrote:

The problem is all the glass in the van and other random items that are a little differiant. Germany standerds are very differiant then amerian and it wont pass inspection for importing or regustration. Buy in germany or buy a differiant type of vehicial in germany.

Also, germany has very high taxs on old vehecials to prevent to many old cars on the road.

If these restrictions whent inplace, every other german home would have a 66 mustang. Razz

Excuse me? Please explain all the imported Syncro 16's imported into the country from Germany that easily passed American standards.

ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
0cean wrote:

Excuse me? Please explain all the imported Syncro 16's imported into the country from Germany that easily passed American standards.

DOT and EU (and DIN) regulations are differ in a lot of ways. The main problems usually are the lamps. DOT standard lamps are not approved in europe as the light projection shape (headlamp) and colors (blinkers, brake lights) are different.
Much easier to approve european in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

American standerds are not the same as TUV. I read it wrong anyways. Sounds like hes purchasing in germany. I wouldent buy one because traveling on the autobahn in a vanagon would be to hard and dangrous. Cars passing you going over 100 and a vanagon doing 60-65. To much stress and to much gas money. Get a truck with a poptop tent.

Cluster Rebuild:

0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
0cean wrote:

DOT and EU (and DIN) regulations are differ in a lot of ways. The main problems usually are the lamps. DOT standard lamps are not approved in europe as the light projection shape (headlamp) and colors (blinkers, brake lights) are different.

Both front and back glass are differiant also. Have to be replaced. There may be a differiance in gas tanks also, but i could be wrong about that.

Cluster Rebuild:

ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

0cean wrote:
American standerds are not the same as TUV. I read it wrong anyways. Sounds like hes purchasing in germany. I wouldent buy one because traveling on the autobahn in a vanagon would be to hard and dangrous. Cars passing you going over 100 and a vanagon doing 60-65. To much stress and to much gas money. Get a truck with a poptop tent.

Driving on a german autobahn is not as scary IMO.
Keep right and give way to faster cars are strict rules, but the faster cars are aware of the slowers who still need to overtake the trucks which are allowed only 80-90 kmph speed. The usual speed is ~120-130 kmph.
For me it was more pleasant to drive on a german autobahn than local hungarian highways as we have 130 kmph speed limits but the inner lanes are dominated by premium cars @150kmph and the wont let you overtake trucks
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

0cean wrote:
ZsZ wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
0cean wrote:

Both front and back glass are differiant also. Have to be replaced. There may be a differiance in gas tanks also, but i could be wrong about that.

Marker lights are not present on european cars

Emission equipments are different, eg. Charcoal canisters on gas cars were not compulsory until EURO2 regulations starting at 1996

Last edited by ZsZ on Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

The problem is the cars being blown around by wind turbelance when passing. Slow cars crate alot of problems for faster cars and vise versa

Cluster Rebuild:

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

I would never suggest someone skirt regulation, but...

I have a friend who keeps a car in Europe for annual summer visits. He found it convenient to register it in Spain. He also stores it there when not in use.

Sorry, no details but just saying there may be some less onerous options available.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

Driving on the autobahn isn't bad at all. Big trucks (LKW's) are limited to around 100-110 kph which is good speed for a T3. I preferred driving on the side roads anyway.

Registering is hard because he's not a permanent resident. He will have an address which is a good start, but it's only temporary.

With public transport as good as it is, you can get "almost" anywhere you want to go without a personal car, it's just not as convenient.

I have the option of buying and registering a car in Germany, but I'm choosing to build one here and send it over and keep it registered in USA. It's going to be cheaper in the long run.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

You can import an american spec car for a short period of time. I Cant remember how long, yet it can run american tags and have euro insurance. Maybe something to look into.

Or just buy an old audi and tent it. Razz Thats what i did when i lived there. Whent everwhere in germany and austria in an audi 90.

I would get a subaru diesel forester with a poptop tent on the roof. That would be epic.

Cluster Rebuild:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: