Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dying battery
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Dying battery Reply with quote

Have had a slow dying battery for a month now. Could be the battery has had enough or there may be a slow draw on the battery.
Ive connected my test lamp between the neg cable and the battery and dont get illumination. Is this a legit test of a draw? For example if the draw was less than 12v would it still trigger the light?

I was thinking this had to do with wiring of a radio recently installed but I disconnected the radio and still the battery dies from 12.6v to 12.v in 48 hours. 12v will not turn my starter.

I took the battery to the auto parts joint and they did their tests and told me it tested good. Not sure how much faith I have in this.

Im going to reconnect the radio so I can drive today. Cant drive without a radio right? Correct.

Is it ok to jump to the cigarette lighter for the constant current and no 8 in the fuse panel for the key-on power? Got a better idea?

Thoughts appreciated?

Jay

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Dying battery Reply with quote

A decent write up.......

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/car-technology/a5859/how-to-stop-car-battery-drains/

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Dying battery Reply with quote

EDIT: the below fuse 3 is for a '90, not an '85. The cig light is #8 in an '85

The cig lighter is on fuse #3, always hot, which is the same circuit as the always hot radio circuit do that should be fine for the radio memory.

I'm not certain about #8 for key in power. I tapped the ignition switch for that.

Do you have a multi meter? That's what I use to measure current draw by putting it inline between the neg batt post and the net batt cable.

Others will be along to correct my errors. Confused

Does this look like your fuse panel?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Dying battery Reply with quote

Do you know how old the battery is? Tucson summers take a toll.

I agree - a simple ammeter is the best test for a phantom draw - then it is quantified.

Is the 12.6 volts you mention just after charging the battery? If so you might want to turn on the headlights for a few seconds before measuring to get rid of any 'float' charge that may overstate the battery condition.

Usually the load test at a FLAPS is fairly fool proof - all the more so as they want to sell batteries - but it is not absolute proof.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Dying battery Reply with quote

Testlight between the ground and the battery is a good test. If there is a big draw, the light will be bright. A small draw will be very dull.

Another test is if you get a small arch when you attach the battery ground to the post. From memory a fully charged battery with the surface charge drawn off is 12.9 volts.

A volt ohm meter will give you a precise load amount, but many meters can handle only 2 amps max. So, you need a little caution. Based on your testlight testing, I’d say if there is a draw, it’s well under an amp which should not kill a good battery over night.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Dying battery Reply with quote

my advice would be to go to a store and buy yourself an inexpensive multi-meter. you're just guessing with a test lamp and really need to know some hard numbers during the testing phase.

then you can start pulling fuses one at a time and narrow the problem. lastly, disconnect the alt.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dying battery Reply with quote

Ok. Maybe a dumb Q but
I’m
Not electrically inclined on many levels.

Is this meter set to the correct setting to quantify a draw on my battery.
If so... I’ve put the meter in line w the battery negative terminal and the negative cable and pegged the meter.

As Mark suggested the draw maybe more than the meter can handle or I as I’m suggesting I may be using the wrong setting.
Anyone familiar w this style of meter and the 250a setting in regards to vanagon battery draw.

The biggest reason I’m doubting myself is the meter pegging on the top end of amperage reading and .....no change from removing fuses. Removed them all in an effort to locate a culprit.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dying battery Reply with quote

That’s right, you’ve got it.

Full scale is 250 milliAmp or 0.25 Amp

If it pegs you could have a 1-2 amp draw, more than that would probably burn the meter out or blow the fuse.

A 1-2 Amp draw will kill a weak battery overnight
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dying battery Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That’s right, you’ve got it.

Full scale is 250 milliAmp or 0.25 Amp

If it pegs you could have a 1-2 amp draw, more than that would probably burn the meter out or blow the fuse.

A 1-2 Amp draw will kill a weak battery overnight

ayup. notice the red lettered mA just above your red lead. that means all ampere readings are in milliamperes, and that range is maxed out a 1/4 amp. no offense, but that's a cheap meter that is thrown in for free at Harbor Freight or something. spend $25 and get yourself a bottom line DVM that can measure 2-10 amps.

have a good friend that had a "Sperry Rand" cheapo meter that he thought was good because of the 1950's reputation of the computer giant. it was an offshore POS that i suggest he just bin. he bought an entry level Fluke after not being able to make adequate basic measurements on his 1947 Indian Chief.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dying battery Reply with quote

Sounds like an interesting bike.

I do believe you are correct. Free HF meter. I was afraid I was gonna get that answer at the same time I want answers and will buy a better meter manana.

What about the fact that the needle never dropped while I pulled fuse after fuse? Is there something obvious I could be missing there ?

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Dying battery Reply with quote

Get a hygrometer and test the battery after charging, test 1. Then remove the ground from the post and test again the next day after it's just been sitting there unconnected. If one cell tests low, then the battery is junk, test 2. If OK, reconnect the ground strap and test it again 24 hours later, If one cell is lower than the others, it is junk, test 3.

If OK, get an auto ammeter and connect it with heavy wire between the battery ground post and the disconnected ground strap. If nothing is on in the car and the key out of the ignition switch and the needle of the ammeter moves, even the tiniest bit, you have an electrical leak and need to take it to someone who is good with auto electrical issues. Electrical problems can be difficult and expensive to find and resolve. Even if you get a new battery, you will soon kill it too because of repeated total discharges. If you buy a new battery, you can use the car, but will need to disconnect the ground strap from the battery after parking it until you an get it fixed. Given your electrical skills, I doubt you could fix it yourself.

Get a decent multimeter and test the voltages just before any hygrometer test.

Battery age is very important as is the number of times it has measured 12 volts. 12.0 volts is an almost dead battery. 11.8 is completely discharged. If you see any of these numbers after test 1, 2 or 3 the battery is junk.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Dying battery Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:

I do believe you are correct. Free HF meter. I was afraid I was gonna get that answer at the same time I want answers and will buy a better meter manana.

What about the fact that the needle never dropped while I pulled fuse after fuse? Is there something obvious I could be missing there ?

How’s the inventory of PO wiring? It’s likely someone wired in an accessory of some kind, hopefully on its own fuse , that could be sucking current.

Stereo, alarm, key fobs, gauges, usb charge ports are the usual suspects
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Dying battery Reply with quote

Exactly, and probably not even fused.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dying battery Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:

don't forget to disconnect the main, large stud on the alternator as you are eliminating things. do so with the negative battery cable disconnected for safety. then do the blue wire.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Ronzo_volvo_guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dying battery Reply with quote

Jay;

Good info from others...to that, let me add the practical experience, that some audio sys power amps are notorious power consuming pigs (even when allegedly OFF!!) See: https://www.sw-em.com/Battery%20Notes.htm#high_parasitic_load_audio_amp

Another passive way to verify it was either the Batt or something draining, is to fully charge, and measure V (should be 12.6V) and disconnect in the evening, and measure V, and reconnect before starting in a day or two...V should not drop very much at all overnight (as there are absolutely NO loads on it), and if it is able to start engine, that means its capable of holding a charge...if V drops significantly, Bat can suspect...free Batt test at Pep Pills Boys or similar are typically storage and load tests, and they have said it is OK...

The active way to check for a phantom load is to measure current (meter in series) with everything OFF...Stereo memory, and Alarm system, and other incidentals should not draw over 100mA...if you are measuring more than 250mA (you said meter goes to over-range!) that is WAAAAY to much phantom load...locate this and understand how and why (if necessary post back with findings), and eliminate this!

See also: https://www.sw-em.com/Battery%20Notes.htm#overnight_battery_discharge ).
Good Hunting!
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dying battery Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Given your electrical skills, I doubt you could fix it yourself.

Yeah thats what I needed to hear. Ill be wrapping this up myself with a little help from the interwebs. I appreciate all the info and that little bit of incentive.

Charging it up now. Will pull the cable before I close up the garage. Ill report back in 48 hours w the voltage and whether it starts the engine or not. Pretty sure theres a phantom in the van and its associated with one of my most recent projects. 1. Front brakes Confused or 2. Mechless stereo Rolling Eyes For what ever reason the radio fuse doesnt effect the draw seen on the cheapo meter thus my reason for stepping back and tossing a wider web.

Back soon w more info.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Dying battery Reply with quote

Hmmm, the coincidence of he radio add is suspicious. Does the radio have two power connections: one to always hot to keep the memory hot and another to key-on or key-in power? If one of those is connected to a non-fused source that may be an issue. What does the ammeter read if you disconnect the radio from power?

Edit: Nevermind.

Quote:
I was thinking this had to do with wiring of a radio recently installed but I disconnected the radio and still the battery dies from 12.6v to 12.v in 48 hours. 12v will not turn my starter.

You're not making this easy. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Dying battery Reply with quote

I’m not that far yet Jim but likely will be manana. I just bought a better meter. Capable of 10a readings. I got a reading of .09 when placed btw the neg terminal and the neg cable. I know now this is 90mA. Seems 50mA is normal but is 40mA difference that detrimental? I guess it might be if we have a bad cell. FYI this is a Napa battery from 2018 thats never been maintained but never had any issue either.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Dying battery Reply with quote

Have you removed the big wires on the alternator yet? In trying to find a high-amp replacement alternator, two that I received via Ebay had high parasitic current draw, that would flatten my good starting battery within two days.
Ronzo_volvo_guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Dying battery Reply with quote

Jay;

A bad cell is not going to cause that measurable current draw on the Batt...only external loads tied to it!...and 90mA is still on the high side for me!... what could possibly need that much stand-by power?...I would still want to inform myself where it was going, what load was using it, and convince myself that this was not an error condition. If it was me, I'd pull all Batt power fuses one at a time, while monitoring that current...if no difference is noted when all Batt power fuses are pulled, it must obviously be an unfused load...I'd still want to know...but that's the curious engineer in me...!

A Lead-Acid Batt cell can go bad several ways, but noticeable differences while charging (one cell does not produce as many H2 bubbles, or final fully charged Voltage is less than 12.6 (which is equal to each cell's contribution of 2.1V X 6, or hydrometer Specific Gravity measurement of acid is weak for one cell, etc). A cell can be shorted by a conductive flake if Lead sulfate...that's why it is not uncommon to give a Batt like that a good whack, by dropping it from a couple of feet...this disturbs and can "fix" a short...kinda violent, but it has worked, and more than once...but that is not your issue! Find where your phantom current is going!

Good Hunting!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: