Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12v 600watt Cabin Heater for '76 bus
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v 600watt Cabin Heater for '76 bus Reply with quote

Quote:

As far as the electric heat goes, seems like it may not be cost effective. In the case posted the poster has 2 batteries under the rear seat, a solar panel, controller, all that wiring, an inverter and the heating unit. That shit ain’t cheap and it takes up a lot of room inside the bus. .

It isnt just cost ineffective it is ineffective ineffective. You arent heating your bus with electric. Two batteries arent enough. (Solar vs alternator is just how you fill the batteries.)

Bigger watt heater just means a dead battery faster.

UNLESS you are shorelined to 110v.

One of the physics guys can do the math for you based on the volume.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v 600watt Cabin Heater for '76 bus Reply with quote

A couple of notes on refilling 'disposable' propane cylinders (which I do, and yes, they are illegal to transport):

1) 20 lb propane bottles tend to accumulate wax and other contaminates which, if given a chance, will plug the small orifices on small lanterns, heaters, and torch heads. Every once in a while, when the 20 lb cylinder goes 'empty', purge out all the remaining gas and crap through the bleed screw (tank inverted; found on most 20 lb cylinders).

2) When refilling small cylinders, put them in a bucket of ice water. They will fill MUCH faster.

3) DO NOT OVERFILL small cylinders. Unlike the large 20 lb cylinders, the small ones can be filled to the top. You MUST have expansion space, otherwise the cylinder can be deformed from expanding liquid (ask me how I know...) Better to fill only 3/4 full and avoid this issue.

4) DO NOT let the moron at the gas station fill your new style 20 lb cylinders completely full! The 'idiot-proof' float valve inside can get jammed shut, and you can't get the gas to flow out. You have to purge a lot of gas that you just paid for through the bleed screw then bang the cylinder on the ground to un-stick the float. This obviously doesn't do the cylinder any good.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 12v 600watt Cabin Heater for '76 bus Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
wagohn wrote:
...use refillable 1LB cannisters - cannisters that are both legal to refill (from a 20lb with an adapter) and transport. This seems by far the most economical and works out much cheaper than diesel if using refillable 1LB bottles the economics of it all.

I had no idea this was possible. Just looked it up and the filling adapter is only $8.99. Seems reasonable when a 2 pack of filled 1lb canisters is $7.99. We just got a camping propane fire pit. So, ultimately I’m gonna go with a 5lb propane bottle to run the fire pit, grill and stove. Then I’ll only carry one or maybe two 1lb canisters to run the Buddy heater, instead of carrying a 6 pack of them around.

Well, not really. You may be OK using the $8 adapter to fill the bottles (I'm not sure, you would have to verify) but the issue is transportation. It's illegal to transport a "refilled" bottle that is not DOT authorized - those little Coleman canisters are not refill approved. If you have a wreck and the thing explodes, guess where they will come looking for an "out" on coverage.

We are using this linked system. The bottles are approved by DOT for refill and transportation. Initial outlay is a few dollars more but we've refilled the bottles many, many times. Not to mention the ease of having the ability to refill at home before a trip (20LB bottle source) and not having to hit Targets for a bunch of $6 Coleman throwaways.

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-Refillable-Propane-Cylinder/dp/B07F9LCYRT

PS - They come and go into "available" on Amazon. Other stores stock them though.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 12v 600watt Cabin Heater for '76 bus Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:
...use refillable 1LB cannisters - cannisters that are both legal to refill (from a 20lb with an adapter) and transport. This seems by far the most economical and works out much cheaper than diesel if using refillable 1LB bottles the economics of it all.

I had no idea this was possible. Just looked it up and the filling adapter is only $8.99. Seems reasonable when a 2 pack of filled 1lb canisters is $7.99. We just got a camping propane fire pit. So, ultimately I’m gonna go with a 5lb propane bottle to run the fire pit, grill and stove. Then I’ll only carry one or maybe two 1lb canisters to run the Buddy heater, instead of carrying a 6 pack of them around.

As far as the electric heat goes, seems like it may not be cost effective. In the case posted the poster has 2 batteries under the rear seat, a solar panel, controller, all that wiring, an inverter and the heating unit. That shit ain’t cheap and it takes up a lot of room inside the bus. If you actually travel and camp in your bus, you know that there really isn’t that much room for all your gear. Personally I wouldn’t want to give up all that storage room for batteries and everything you need to make them work properly. Also, for the price of all that stuff you could just buy the parts needed to complete your factory heating system. My factory heat works excellent and yours could too with the correct parts in place, especially when a T2b has the booster fan.

I see how the diesel heater would be nice, but again it takes up much needed space. I use the Buddy, it’s small, easy to pack, easy to use and you can take it out when you’re not camping. All the years I’ve used one I’ve never had an issue with fumes and haven’t noticed much condensation. If I use it at night, I usually use a mostly empty canister and let it just run out.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 12v 600watt Cabin Heater for '76 bus Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Electrical heating is actually the most efficient there is - 100% of the energy is converted to heat.

The frustration comes from the continued rehash by those who didnt take thermodynamics, and thus we have 20 years of discussion of why 100 Watts of heat wont heat a Bus. The science of this is all worked out >100 years ago.

Once you tell me how much heat your are putting into your Bus,what the outside temperature is, and what the desired inside temperature is, and a few other things, anyone who took thermo can tell you if it will work. There is no 'space age polymer' or 'miracle battery' that will change this.

And then how much outside air intrusion you anticipate Smile.

Anecdotal evidence (N=1): We wintered in an 18th century farm-hands' apartment for the winter due to the drought and no water at our house. 8" of Owens-Corning's finest in the walls and ceiling in two of the rooms, the third completely uninsulated, unused, door shut but unfortunately unable to completely seal it off due to door and frame design. None in the floor.
Front door weatherstripped, unable to completely seal due to structural settling, Windows shrinkwrapped. Despite this, when the wind would crank up, the bathroom door on the opposite side of the room would slam shut. When there was no wind, the heat would run non-stop. This was for two 10x10 rooms.
Primary heat: Monitor 65,000 BTU. It took two additional 18,000 BTU propane heaters to drop the primary cycling down from constant to every 15-20 minutes to maintain 66F with 20-25F outside temp. When the wind was blowing 25MPH, forget it.
So while the metal box discussed here is smaller with less air space, it has minimal insulation, lots of air gaps (even the best sealed car has air exchange), and going 50-60mph. A little electric heater isn't going to cut it. Get it sealed up the best you can, get a fossil fuel heater, and gloves.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 12v 600watt Cabin Heater for '76 bus Reply with quote

Electrical heating is actually the most efficient there is - 100% of the energy is converted to heat.

The frustration comes from the continued rehash by those who didnt take thermodynamics, and thus we have 20 years of discussion of why 100 Watts of heat wont heat a Bus. The science of this is all worked out >100 years ago.

Once you tell me how much heat your are putting into your Bus,what the outside temperature is, and what the desired inside temperature is, and a few other things, anyone who took thermo can tell you if it will work. There is no 'space age polymer' or 'miracle battery' that will change this.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 12v 600watt Cabin Heater for '76 bus Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
small woostove ?

been done a few times. My fave also has a trap door on the floor for ice fishing.
edit-it MAY have been a split..
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 12v 600watt Cabin Heater for '76 bus Reply with quote

small woostove ?
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: 12v 600watt Cabin Heater for '76 bus Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

At 52 degrees F, we wouldn’t even turn our heat on in the NE

Once the Bus is moving, the intrusion of outside air will cancel that heating in 3 minutes. Once the temp goes down to freezing , the temperature delta, which drives the rate of heat loss, will likewise render that impotent.

250 watts heat is like 4 household incandescent light bulbs worth

Just my experiences with low watt heaters. I think the more actual, real-life data we get the better. Do with that what you wish.
We all know that electricity is inefficient but few post actual numbers and rely on "like a fart in the wind" type replies - which helps nobody.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: 12v 600watt Cabin Heater for '76 bus Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:
wagohn wrote:

As far as electric heaters, we tried a 250w MyHeat(?) personal electric fan heater but it blew through our 300w Jackery in an hour.
All in all, we are sticking with the Mr Buddy for now and cracking the two front windows for vents. Mr Buddy REALLY cranks out the heat. Condensation does gather so Im trying to convince myself of drilling a hole for the diesel heater and the economics of it all.

Update on this: We were at an all-morning event today and I decided to do some more testing. Our tintop bus came with two 90ah sealed batteries under the bench. I have since fitted a 300w inverter and a 100w solar panel.
Today, when I hooked up the 250w heater to the 300w inverter, the temp in the bus was 52 degrees. I left the heater on high (which is pretty weak) and left it alone. 45 mins later the temp in the bus was noticeably warmer - the thermometer stated 65 degrees.
I think that's pretty good. Assuming for the battery available 180ah I will have 100ah usable (they were fitted by the PO so not sure of the age) that gives me 1200w to burn. On high heat, that would be almost 5.5 hours of use because the heater uses 225w when always on. In reality, I may have more ah to use, I'm being conservative.
Just something to think about. Also, I left the bus on the driveway at home and the solar panel has almost recharged the batteries. Pretty slick.

At 52 degrees F, we wouldn’t even turn our heat on in the NE

Once the Bus is moving, the intrusion of outside air will cancel that heating in 3 minutes. Once the temp goes down to freezing , the temperature delta, which drives the rate of heat loss, will likewise render that impotent.

250 watts heat is like 4 household incandescent light bulbs worth
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v 600watt Cabin Heater for '76 bus Reply with quote

One of my suppliers has the self contained Chinese heater for about $155, I’m thinking of picking one up soon. I think it’s a better deal than the smaller mounted ones for only $5 more.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v 600watt Cabin Heater for '76 bus Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:

As far as electric heaters, we tried a 250w MyHeat(?) personal electric fan heater but it blew through our 300w Jackery in an hour.
All in all, we are sticking with the Mr Buddy for now and cracking the two front windows for vents. Mr Buddy REALLY cranks out the heat. Condensation does gather so Im trying to convince myself of drilling a hole for the diesel heater and the economics of it all.

Update on this: We were at an all-morning event today and I decided to do some more testing. Our tintop bus came with two 90ah sealed batteries under the bench. I have since fitted a 300w inverter and a 100w solar panel.
Today, when I hooked up the 250w heater to the 300w inverter, the temp in the bus was 52 degrees. I left the heater on high (which is pretty weak) and left it alone. 45 mins later the temp in the bus was noticeably warmer - the thermometer stated 65 degrees.
I think that's pretty good. Assuming for the battery available 180ah I will have 100ah usable (they were fitted by the PO so not sure of the age) that gives me 1200w to burn. On high heat, that would be almost 5.5 hours of use because the heater uses 225w when always on. In reality, I may have more ah to use, I'm being conservative.
Just something to think about. Also, I left the bus on the driveway at home and the solar panel has almost recharged the batteries. Pretty slick.
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 12v 600watt Cabin Heater for '76 bus Reply with quote

Ryan P wrote:
I use a Mr.Buddy propane heater heats the bus up quick. We do not run a constantly. We will run it for about 30 minutes before sleeping then pile the blankets on and turn it off while we sleep. We keep it in reach from the bed so in the morning we can turn it on without getting out of the blankets. We just came back from a trip the one night came real close to freezing.

I do nearly the same.

I preheat the interior of the bus for about half an hour with the Mr. Buddy before I am ready to sleep. I have a small vent screen on the passenger window for ventilation and I crack open the pop top screens. I have never had condensation in the bus from the heater. I also have a battery operated CO detector in case I ever decide to try to run the heater overnight, but thus far I have never tried that for fear of waking up dead. Having the heater fired up before getting out of bed is nice too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 12v 600watt Cabin Heater for '76 bus Reply with quote

Those 12v heaters...Don’t even bother. You might as well sit around a cigarette and pretend it was a camp fire.

Do the Chinese heater thing or refurbish an Eberspacher heater if you like to tinker.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v 600watt Cabin Heater for '76 bus Reply with quote

the factory had zero qualms on making holes for accessory heating.

and if you study the CDH installs, some good, some iffy
you should come to a palatable solution.

one can also spend the extra $$ and buy a gasoline heater from the Russian republic and skip the dual fuel issues. in the long run it's not that much more $
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v 600watt Cabin Heater for '76 bus Reply with quote

I've been pondering all of the above options but for camping. For diesel heaters, It seems a 2kw would be the way to go with the 5kw and 8kw being too powerful. However, I don't want to drill holes for the exhaust vents and don't want 10L of diesel in the cab - especially when trying to fill without spilling on the carpet.
We currently use a Mr Buddy and use refillable 1LB cannisters - cannisters that are both legal to refill (from a 20lb with an adapter) and transport. This seems by far the most economical and works out much cheaper than diesel if using refillable 1LB bottles.
cpatrice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v 600watt Cabin Heater for '76 bus Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Much appreciated. I have a feeling we’ll be trying the Chinese heater as well...will update as we get closer to install Very Happy
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v 600watt Cabin Heater for '76 bus Reply with quote

uhh yeah, that's nice and special like, used a buddy heater in my younger years. but now I'm too old for that crud.
the Diesel heater has a remote.. I preheat the camper from the campfire.

has a thermostat. like my house does.. so it maintains a comfortable temp while I'm lulled by the soft drone of the circulating fan... *I always run white noise to overcome my tinnitus.

Ryan P wrote:
I use a Mr.Buddy propane heater heats the bus up quick. We do not run a constantly. We will run it for about 30 minutes before sleeping then pile the blankets on and turn it off while we sleep. We keep it in reach from the bed so in the morning we can turn it on without getting out of the blankets. We just came back from a trip the one night came real close to freezing.

Ryan P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v 600watt Cabin Heater for '76 bus Reply with quote

TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v 600watt Cabin Heater for '76 bus Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I live in a warm climate but I’ve heard great things about heaterbuddy propane heaters
I like mine, but you get water vapor as a combustion byproduct. With the diesel heater you are getting the heat from the exchanger and the exhaust is going outside. Consequently you have much less condensation and you also don’t have to have a window open to vent for Carbon Monoxide.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: