Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BAT Buses
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Bring a Trailer Buses thread.

I start off with https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-volkswagen-bus-13/

1965 Samba

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1960 Panel M-code plate?

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Bus Reply with quote

It’s real.
Someone in the past cut out the seat pedestal backs probably to put mustang seats in and later someone must have sourced a set of seat pedestal backs from an early panel and welded them in along with the Mcode plate. That’s the source of the confusion. He has the correct VIN in the engine compartment and a COA from VW confirming it’s a real 21. The options and color combination on the COA match those of this bus.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Man that's a whole lot of numbers in that vin on the m-code plate , for a 1960 bus m-plate it should only have six numbers there this one has seven? Confused

Last edited by Busted-bolt on Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Normal... see here, and scroll half way down: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/id.php
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Yeah my pet peeve is folks who don’t read all the comments on BaT before posting.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zbealeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

As much as I would love to bid on this, shipping and BaT fees would easily be more than 7k
Not to mention with the recent BJ prices I'm assuming the reserve is up there
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

If you watch BAT daily like I do, that $35K bid will likely double or triple in the last hour. Don’t be fooled by low bid early in these auctions. Nice looking bus though.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

And don’t forget 5% buyers premium (max $5k) added to your purchase price, then shipping costs. It adds up fast.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Looks like a 1966 mcode plate to me. The vin # on the mcode doesn't include model # prefix. 1965 and up the 3rd digit is model year. And since model prefix 2 digits are missing on the mcode. The first # being 6 is model year. Pretty confusing with pre 65 busses that start off with a 5,6 or 7. But they have less #'s total.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

VW buses notoriously don't do all that well on BAT.

Got a BMW E9? Long nose 911? Mint Pagoda? Ya, sure, but Split buses often do not meet reserve. Unless it's a cheap one from Brazil.

Don't know where to sell high-end buses. BJ? Mecum? Gotta remember the 10% they eat.

I see lots of high end 21/23's for sale, but how many really sell for six figures?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

teahead wrote:
VW buses notoriously don't do all that well on BAT.

Got a BMW E9? Long nose 911? Mint Pagoda? Ya, sure, but Split buses often do not meet reserve. Unless it's a cheap one from Brazil.

Don't know where to sell high-end buses. BJ? Mecum? Gotta remember the 10% they eat.

I see lots of high end 21/23's for sale, but how many really sell for six figures?

My impression is the opposite. Mediocre buses and cobbled together fake 21-23s sell or are bid up for much more than what people generally ask for them on the Samba.
It’s not too often that a really nice real 21 or 23 comes up but I’ve seen mediocre ones get bid up to the mid $100,000s.
Trucks do very well on BAT.
BAT buyers are generally not very discerning especially when it comes to originality and the level of the work. If it shines it sells.
For sure Ghias sell for much more on BAT than anywhere else.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
p horvath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

i got banned from bat for trying to tell buyers certain details that were incorrect on beetles and buses. they let me post now but there is lag time as i guess they read my post before letting it go through.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

p horvath wrote:
i got banned from bat for trying to tell buyers certain details that were incorrect on beetles and buses. they let me post now but there is lag time as i guess they read my post before letting it go through.

That's interesting. I have been pointing out good and bad things, pretty much all on late splits and early bays, for a few years now with no issues.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
Yeah my pet peeve is folks who don’t read all the comments on BaT before posting.

To be fair, if there are over 50 posts, and sometimes in the hundreds, it is just about impossible to know what has already been said.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Even though I love BAT & spend way too much time on it every day, I feel it’s really for those with lots of $$ and too lazy to do the grunt work it takes to find a good deal.
Scan newspapers, car magazines, the internet for sale sites, make phone calls, lots of questions drive to see cars that sound nice but are junk when you see them, dickering on price etc, etc.
Many Buyers are ‘gotta have it now generation’ and will pay whatever it takes.
Do love all the comments by model specific experts though.
dmonger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Braukuche that 21 and 23's generally are bid up higher than what they bring here....just wish it would have happened for my 59' Patina 23 recently....it sold on BAT for right at what I had been asking for on Samba for almost a year....he also makes a great point that "shiny sells"
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

1967 Single Cab in Daytona Beach, FL.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-volkswagen-bus-30/

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

MrPolak wrote:

RNM at $63,000...

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
MrPolak wrote:

RNM at $63,000...

What is consensus on the price? I thought it was close to what it should sell for given the cosmetic details.
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

MrPolak wrote:
bobrk wrote:
MrPolak wrote:

RNM at $63,000...

What is consensus on the price? I thought it was close to what it should sell for given the cosmetic details.
I think it's a good price, but my guess is the seller was looking for OG prices, and this bus is modded.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 48

Jump to: