Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BAT Buses
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doveblue3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Feel like this photo says a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

MrPolak wrote:
No Reserve: 1964 Volkswagen Type 2 Double Cab Transporter

This one is easier on the eyes.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-volkswagen-double-cab-transporter-2/

At $28k last time I checked, that’s going to be one expensive cream sickle.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

doveblue3 wrote:

Feel like this photo says a lot.

Yes, it reminds me of someone contemplating a leap from a bridge.
(Disclaimer: suicide is not funny in any way, though the proposition of this Bus staring down the ramp is.)
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
MrPolak wrote:

What did you all think of this final price of $51k?
The DC was well done, but a few weaknesses. I guess the paint was MEH to me. A lot of wasted effort. But not horrible.
Tires ARE horrible to my way of thinking.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

The more I look at the paint, the more I’m starting to like it, so stop reminding me hahaha! The underside could have been tidier to my liking, specifically the loosey goosey wires or lack of splash pan… I’d drive it, if my own DC wouldn’t get jealous.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

The DC looks good, but the placement of the aftermarket gauges would just bother the heck out of me.

If you didn't want to relocate the hazard light and weld up the hole, then don't put a gauge over on the left side.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
MrPolak wrote:

What did you all think of this final price of $51k?
The DC was well done, but a few weaknesses. I guess the paint was MEH to me. A lot of wasted effort. But not horrible.
Tires ARE horrible to my way of thinking.

Colors look dated, like a VW Trends cover bus back in the ‘80s. Overall, not thought out. Custom paint and interior with stock wheels and a 40hp? That has to have a limited appeal.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

1961 Volkswagen Single Cab Transporter Firetruck

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1961-volkswagen-single-cab-transporter-firetruck/

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

I think the ad says it’s a fake fire truck which makes it even more useless than a real fire truck.
The best advice posted so far is to junk the silly fire equipment and buy a set of gates.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback

Last edited by Braukuche on Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Found a super old ad from 2008:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=591927

Description, sounds like a real Fire vehicle from Germany and imported from Belgium based on what he says below
Quote:
Show quality 1961 vw single cab. Have VW birth certificate. Built Feb. 10, 1961, delivered Feb. 13, 1961 to Fuerth, Germany. M - codes : M 078 Pick-up in primer,

M 201 Pick-up with extended wooden platform.

Photographed and questioned for a feature in volksworld magazine or volksworld camper.

The unique history is what has been told from owner to owner. It was brought over from Belgium two owners ago. Supposedly it was owned by a factory for a while, and then converted as their personal emergency fire vehicle. Musterring is the company, (still a large corporation.)

I built this truck to be a unique show vehicle displaying its unique history. It is not exact, but much better than originally done. The original logos and numbers that were discovered in the paint were faithfully reproduced with high quality vinyl. The condition as it was brought over to the states was rusty and poor. It sported an older crude red paint job, (like with a brush) with logos of a famous toy fire truck maker that somebody painted on the sides and front. (Hess)

It shows just over 35,000 KM on the gauge, and a secondary KM gauge under the package tray shows just over 16,000. The secondary one records speeds with times, on a circular graph, that you load by using a key and folding the face down. I guess so the boss could check that you were driving safely throughout the day. Both gauge cables go into a little gear box, and from there a single cable goes to the wheel.

It has a water pump that runs off of a crank start vw 40 horse. I detailed it out to make it shine a little, but this is the one thing I did not restore, as I appreciated it's originality and original lettering. It turns over easy, but I never tried to start it, as I do not intend to put out any real fires. Originally this was mounted all the way to the rear right of the bed, and a rotten wooden box sat on the other side of the rear end, that held more hoses. This made the truck lean a little and was a little more unsteady than where it is now centrally located.

It also had the side of the cargo area cut out opposite of the treasure door, about the size of the treasure door itself. The treasure door was removed as well. They had long rigid hoses slid in the storage area, held in with chains. It was crudely cut, and I did not care for the gaping holes on each side so I welded the side back up and put a door on the other.

The hose reels are in the original locations. Originally there were two. I only got one when I bought the truck so I fabricating the spoked one to match. The hoses are for aesthetics like the pump, and are not coupled with Storz fittings that would plug into the pump. The roof rack is from Greg at Vintage Warehouse. The red light is not hooked up as I have to take the rack off to get into my garage all the time. The stock height and 15 inch rims and brand new Coker classics make it pretty tall.

This truck was taken down, the rust cut out and then the truck was media blasted, top bottom inside and out to bare metal. The following areas where replaced. The front and rear lower nose skin, small section of lower driver door, left and rear floorboard and misc. lower pillar patches, patch of wall between spare tire well and cargo area,patches of both rear areas front wheel wells, patches of the front of each rear wheel wells, left rocker, sections of each side inner rockers, the driver side of the cargo area, all four corners of the cargo area at wheel wells, a section along the cargo edge at treasure door, patches at rear wheel well cutouts, patches of passenger side rocker, patches of rear corners, orignal small tailights were welded back in the oval cut outs, all four jack points, outriggers, center tube, front and rear crossmembers, and rails on the top of the outriggers.

It was etch coat primed, then primed, and finished in a bright red polyurethane with a tint of orange . Very very close to the original color used when it was with musterring, if not exact. It was painted inside and out. The entire undercarriage was undercoated.

The tranny and motor were decent and were spruced up, new boots, seals, points cap rotor plugs wires coil, carb rebuilt, timing, painted, polished up, etc. Runs and shifts good, does not pop out of any gears. The suspension is tight as well.

The rims, emblems, pedals, shifter, gas tank, brackets, red light housing, etc. etc. etc. most all black parts were powdercoated. New interior panels, screws, headliner, seat cushions, covers. The seat is the one year only hump back style. Original floor mat. Original wiring in great shape. New master cylinder, brakes flushed and adjusted. Original european plates. Reproduction front and rear bumpers. New tailights, new headlight rings, wood slat kit cut to fit fire truck hardware.

Tons of other misc. new stuff. All new window rubber and door seals etc. etc. All glass except vent wings is original sekurit. No cracks but the glass has its share of scratches and nicks. Been building it for a year and a half, I cant remember everything off the top of my head.

A beautiful truck, Any questions contact me.

From above:
I do not intend to put out any real fires Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

What about the weirdness with the Mcode plate?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

Can you be more clear?
I see it's not painted there, I wonder if the restorer stripped it down and didn't know to repaint it red along with the Truck?

Or do you think it looks like a fake or repro M-code plate?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Can you be more clear?
I see it's not painted there, I wonder if the restorer stripped it down and didn't know to repaint it red along with the Truck?

People were saying that and also that the info was inconsistent.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Can you be more clear?

This guy posted that this in response to a pic of the Mcode plate.

“Thanks for the photo. Unfortunately, it appears this M code plate is not the original one. I was hoping to see the export code. Also, one of the codes dictates that it should have had a wide bed, wooden. These were made by Westfalia. The other code dictates that it was delivered in primer. Did you happen to obtain the birth certificate? Thanks.”

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
otherbeach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-volkswagen-bus-10

Live now
As I write this six days left and in my opinion bidding already aggressive on this
OTW camper

Comments on BAT include VIN issue
Coming to you from God’s Own Time Zone: Central Time…up near the Illinois/Minnesota border. ** Note I am currently (mostly) INACTIVE in the bus community due to temporary life changes. My price tracking from 2016 to 2021 is now over and data stored offline **
"Cows at the border of the Dairy State and the Land of Lincoln are remarkably honest."
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

otherbeach wrote:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-volkswagen-bus-10

Live now
As I write this six days left and in my opinion bidding already aggressive on this
OTW camper

Comments on BAT include VIN issue

At least the seller is upfront and clear about the VIN issue. My guess is it might not be a huge deal to straighten that out. Or just leave it that way, since the numbers are actually in place on the factory installed tag.

Interesting dilemna.

Also, those dinky tires must really have that engine screaming at highway speeds.
otherbeach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

And then today…this SC. Looks familiar but maybe I am thinking about another SC with this logo

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1959-volkswagen-single-cab-transporter/

And as usual too many irrelevant comments on a dog in photos…it is not “Bring a Kennel”
Coming to you from God’s Own Time Zone: Central Time…up near the Illinois/Minnesota border. ** Note I am currently (mostly) INACTIVE in the bus community due to temporary life changes. My price tracking from 2016 to 2021 is now over and data stored offline **
"Cows at the border of the Dairy State and the Land of Lincoln are remarkably honest."
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

otherbeach wrote:
And then today…this SC. Looks familiar but maybe I am thinking about another SC with this logo

And as usual too many irrelevant comments on a dog in photos…it is not “Bring a Kennel”

The color looks off for dove blue.
And the Porsche logos are lame, like they are stuck on there just cause he heard he’d get more for it from some Porsche nut. If you are going to go the tribute route at least paint it red.
Other than that it looks like a nice truck. Probably will fetch somewhere in the high $30ks.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
otherbeach wrote:

The color looks off for dove blue.
And the Porsche logos are lame, like they are stuck on there just cause he heard he’d get more for it from some Porsche nut. If you are going to go the tribute route at least paint it red.
Other than that it looks like a nice truck. Probably will fetch somewhere in the high $30ks.

So many nitpicks.

No door pockets
Church key bracket is for later model bus
No pedal pan
Oh look, Safaris on a commercial!
Passenger tires with a load rating of 87
Warm air intake to air cleaner not connected
No lower tins on engine
No heat exchangers for heating

But I guess the tool kit with the random tools makes up for it.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

usually, besides the perfect photography, that guy auctions off some nice vehicles
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 48

Jump to: