Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BAT Buses
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

The only thing cheap in the VW world anymore are 68 up Beetles,

And a lot of the people driving them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Quote:
""Maybe but I also believe if half of the owners drove their buses (Not Lind) or VW's instead of just showing them the excitement would bring more draw and curiosity back to the younger generation as it did for us 20 plus years ago, similar to Europe. Our VW market at least here in Texas has gotten more expensive but you can still buy certain pre 67 whatevers for a summers wage at the local water park. It may take 15 summers but you can. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Most 20 year olds are worried about social media, or not missing a TEXT, or riding their E bike faster than traffic !
I did shows when I owned a few very fast cars, and most shows were only for preferred American Woody's and such<boring ! I also wonder IF some of these auctions are staged>(the conspiracy person inside of me). I don't need a crowd, what I do like is to share ideas on keeping these things rolling well & some good Tequilla. We are not the crowd below. I wouldn't let a pair of stilettos near my bus, but I would probably assault her enough to make her mother blush. The only POSE I would like to see is Her handing me a wrench, not a divorce after I've spent half my life in the garage & leaving grease prints on the back of her dress.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
Most 20 year olds are worried about social media, or not missing a TEXT, or riding their E bike faster than traffic !
I did shows when I owned a few very fast cars, and most shows were only for preferred American Woody's and such<boring ! I also wonder IF some of these auctions are staged>(the conspiracy person inside of me). I don't need a crowd, what I do like is to share ideas on keeping these things rolling well & some good Tequilla. We are not the crowd below. I wouldn't let a pair of stilettos near my bus,
but I would probably assault her enough to make her mother blush. The only POSE I would like to see is Her handing me a wrench, not a divorce after I've spent half my life in the garage & leaving grease prints on the back of her dress.

You'd what?
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buspilot67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

German Krew wrote:
Lind wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Lind wrote:
NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
Pay what you like, I drive mine as I have driven buses since 77.
This ego trip paying these prices only makes it harder for the regular guy who just loves buses, harder to own one.
That is a big problem for buses and the bus scene. Since some of them are super valuable and all of them are valuable, nobody can get in on the low end, and many people who are already in are tempted to take the money and run and get out. We lose plenty of good people from the scene and from just general bus ownership (most bus owners are not in our bus scene, they just like the buses). We are left with the most dedicated people and people with the means to get in to be bus owners. All that said, many many people get out of buses and then go blow a similar amount of money on a depreciating modern car. If someone is dedicated and wants to spend regular car money on a bus, they can own one. The poor folks are pretty much out at this point.
The only thing cheap in the VW world anymore are 68 up Beetles, especially Super Beetles. It all seemed to happen in the last couple years. Pretty soon VW events will look like Porsche events made up of mostly super old dudes hobbling around complaining about how no young people are interested in their cars.
Exactly. Unfortunately we are becoming those old guys, day by day.

Maybe but I also believe if half of the owners drove their buses (Not Lind) or VW's instead of just showing them the excitement would bring more draw and curiosity back to the younger generation as it did for us 20 plus years ago, similar to Europe. Our VW market at least here in Texas has gotten more expensive but you can still buy certain pre 67 whatevers for a summers wage at the local water park. It may take 15 summers but you can. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dive em! We have a little breakfast drive thru called The Bus Stop. I drive the bus erry day, open it up and pop the top. Everyone has a VW story and it's awesome to see faces young and old checking it out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Buspilot67 wrote:
Dive em!

I do dive em!

Note: Pic of scantily clad babe below was deleted Wink

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:

Last edited by Busstom on Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
This ego trip paying these prices only makes it harder for the regular guy who just loves buses, harder to own one.
That is a big problem for buses and the bus scene. Since some of them are super valuable and all of them are valuable, nobody can get in on the low end, and many people who are already in are tempted to take the money and run and get out. We lose plenty of good people from the scene and from just general bus ownership (most bus owners are not in our bus scene, they just like the buses). We are left with the most dedicated people and people with the means to get in to be bus owners. All that said, many many people get out of buses and then go blow a similar amount of money on a depreciating modern car. If someone is dedicated and wants to spend regular car money on a bus, they can own one. The poor folks are pretty much out at this point.

With regard to that BAT auction bringing 175k for that particular bus, as far as I can see it was nothing more than 3 people with a LOT of disposable income; 2 of the 3 with a bit more disposable income than the third that decided they'd like to own a VW bus, money not an object.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:
Lind wrote:
NUTSFORBUSES wrote:

With regard to that BAT auction bringing 175k for that particular bus, as far as I can see it was nothing more than 3 people with a LOT of disposable income; 2 of the 3 with a bit more disposable income than the third that decided they'd like to own a VW bus, money not an object.

You're missing the part where it was "built" by one of if not the best VW body shops. I don't think people outside of the scene understand that enough. There are a million body shops but only a handful can do a bus correctly. The rest might as well be a guy with a welder and a grinder in his back yard 🤣
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
BonTonRoulet wrote:
Lind wrote:
NUTSFORBUSES wrote:

You're missing the part where it was "built" by one of if not the best VW body shops. I don't think people outside of the scene understand that enough. There are a million body shops but only a handful can do a bus correctly. The rest might as well be a guy with a welder and a grinder in his back yard 🤣

I think too many people dismiss the work and expense involved in bringing a typically worn out bus to that level. Luckily there are some people who do and are willing to support that end of the hobby by cutting fat checks.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now

Last edited by Braukuche on Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Erik G wrote:
BonTonRoulet wrote:
Lind wrote:
NUTSFORBUSES wrote:

I think too many people dismiss the work and expense involved in bringing a typically worn out bus to that level. Luckily there are some people who don’t and are willing to support that end of the hobby by cutting fat checks.

Totally agree. This bus wasn't even that worn out, but it's still a ton of work to finish a bus to that level. Lots of people (mostly local haters) gave Corey a lot of shit for that bus -> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=533880
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
I’m thinking it won’t get near the money of the shiny buses.

Unfortunately, you are probably right.

$35k or so. Fair price I’m thinking, but no where near what a restored one sold for recently.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
I’m thinking it won’t get near the money of the shiny buses.

Unfortunately, you are probably right.

$35k or so. Fair price I’m thinking, but no where near what a restored one sold for recently.

Sold at just over $35K. Seems like a very fair price, for a very honest bus.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Double cab went for $61k.
Late model, boring color, tore up interior, rough exterior, 1300 Beetle engine…
Porsche logos on a bus sell is the lesson here kids.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

$61,000
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-volkswagen-double-cab/

I've been trying to find the episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, the one with Michael Richards, and the DC that's owned by Old Speed (IIRC), that had Porsche painted on it. I can't find that video anywhere.

Here's pics from another thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=536257&highlight=comedians+in+cars

Imagine what that could sell for.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Split 66' wrote:
$61,000

I wonder is the Porsche company has any problems with people using their name and logos to sell cars without authorization? There are trademark issues which could easily put an end to this with one nasty letter from Porsche's legal department. Try this shit with UPS and see what happens...
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

I don't imagine Porsche would be too concerned over "Trademark issues" with an old VW truck with period correct Porsche lettering, badges, stickers, whatever. I think the family ties between Porsche and VW are a tad bit closer than that.

Now, if it had a 2014 diesel Jetta engine conversion, that might be more of an issue.

I wonder if the truck really has a legitimate previous connection to the Sierra Madre Collection. If so, they were more than likely a licensed dealer by Porsche same as Stoddards and many others.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:
I don't imagine Porsche would be too concerned over "Trademark issues" with an old VW truck with period correct Porsche lettering, badges, stickers, whatever. I think the family ties between Porsche and VW are a tad bit closer than that.

Now, if it had a 2014 diesel Jetta engine conversion, that might be more of an issue.

I wonder if the truck really has a legitimate previous connection to the Sierra Madre Collection. If so, they were more than likely a licensed dealer by Porsche same as Stoddards and many others.

Seller said it was purchased from them, so sounds like it. They probably do have an agreement with Porsche like you said.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Split 66' wrote:
$61,000

I wonder is the Porsche company has any problems with people using their name and logos to sell cars without authorization? There are trademark issues which could easily put an end to this with one nasty letter from Porsche's legal department. Try this shit with UPS and see what happens...

Are you referencing the Swivelseat panel that was a UPS truck at some point and then they dragged the owner through a bunch of litigation crap? What a mess that turned into.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
BonTonRoulet wrote:

Seller said it was purchased from them, so sounds like it. They probably do have an agreement with Porsche like you said.

highly doubt they had anything official with Porsche. they used to literally be a guy in his garage, and are only more recently selling parts. Sounds like they are getting into BMW and Mercedes aftermarket parts as well.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-volkswagen-bus-37/
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=574474&start=0
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 48

Jump to: