Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BAT Buses
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Hijinx with the VIN on that Westy. The stamped number doesn’t look to have any relation to the Mcode VIN and there is no mention of air box plate.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Brazilian deck lid. Where are the reverse lights ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

MrPolak wrote:
20-Years-Owned 1967 Volkswagen Type 2 Camper

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-volkswagen-bus-31/

Certainly a pretty well preserved 1967 Westy for living in Michigan. But still some pretty ghastly details. I'm sure it has some bondo in the lower edge.
Why would anybody weld in a new driver's floor and at least not prep and paint the repair panel?
That bus won't drive 10 miles with the fan belt on like that. It amazes me how nearly every dual port 1600 VW engine has an 009 dizzy and yet how bad they perform. Likewise the defroster and headlights are gonna be disappointing. License light missing.
Owner says it had new front end parts in last 5000 miles. The owner must have never read his owner's manual about lubrication. Probably doesn't even own a grease gun.
Pretty nice pile of spare parts. the Eberpaecher heater is nice but not for a bus. Good to have the original documentation.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home

Last edited by Alan Brase on Sat May 08, 2021 11:06 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Hijinx with the VIN on that Westy. The stamped number doesn’t look to have any relation to the Mcode VIN and there is no mention of air box plate.

Better have another cuppa coffee.
I read 23700. That's a correct beginning. Spot on with your comments on the site by the way.
I like your advice: wire brush it.
I'd add: Then paint it satin white. When dry rub your dirty thumb over it to hilite the digits.
Vanagons:
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
There IS a mention of it, that it isn't there!

The drive by video was super lame.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

[quote="Alan Brase"]
Braukuche wrote:

Better have another cuppa coffee.
I read 23700. That's a correct beginning. Spot on with your comments on the site by the way.
I like your advice: wire brush it.
I'd add: Then paint it satin white. When dry rub your dirty thumb over it to hilite the digits.[/quote

Could be a 7 could be a 1,could be a 0, could be an 8, hard to say for sure.
I can see the VIN plate on the air box I don’t know why he doesn’t snap a shot of it.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1973 Ghia convertible
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

I enlarged the photo of VIN number and made out 23700210... the last digit is not in picture.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

MrPolak wrote:
I enlarged the photo of VIN number and made out 23700210... the last digit is not in picture.

Maybe more visible on desktop than a phone?
I'd think that engine will not last 10 miles with the belt that loose, And wow that seems like a big fan pulley? Or is it just perspective? The claims it purrs at 50mph. So did a 40hp.
Problem with turn key bus owners is a precious shortage of qualified air cooled techs.
Vanagons:
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

From the BAT description:

“ The serial number on the M-code tag matches the final numbers shown on the title, which lists the complete VIN as C237002101; the C23 prefix is not shown on the bus. A VIN tag is not present in the engine compartment, and the number stamped into the floor near the engine is partially obscured by paint but does not seem to align with the M-code tag; the stamped floor section is pictured in the gallery. The M-code tag shown above indicates the following equipment”

In the interior pictures you can see the tag on the air box.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1973 Ghia convertible
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
bobrk wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

“ The serial number on the M-code tag matches the final numbers shown on the title, which lists the complete VIN as C237002101; the C23 prefix is not shown on the bus. A VIN tag is not present in the engine compartment, and the number stamped into the floor near the engine is partially obscured by paint but does not seem to align with the M-code tag; the stamped floor section is pictured in the gallery. The M-code tag shown above indicates the following equipment”

You’re right. My brain has been translating “air box” into “engine compartmentment” where of course the plate lives on my single cab.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
bobrk wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Seems a comedy of errors here (did I mention a lack of qualified personnel? Up one post, perhaps?)
I think the bus is 100% okay but with the seller being half right and the BAT listing agent being half right they are gonna have bidders believing there is a good chance this started out as an East German Trabant with the famous Trabbie Westy conversion.
I really do not know how much easier Everett could make it for a newcomer to the site find the right VIN.
And WHERE did the damned "C" in the VIN come from?
Vanagons:
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
bobrk wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Seems a comedy of errors here (did I mention a lack of qualified personnel? Up one post, perhaps?)
I think the bus is 100% okay but with the seller being half right and the BAT listing agent being half right they are gonna have bidders believing there is a good chance this started out as an East German Trabant with the famous Trabbie Westy conversion.
I really do not know how much easier Everett could make it for a newcomer to the site find the right VIN.

😂

widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

as to the VIN in the engine compartment. i'm seeing *237082 9
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

widehatch wrote:
as to the VIN in the engine compartment. i'm seeing *237082 9

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You have to embiggen it.

FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

MrPolak wrote:

You have to embiggen it.

Looks like it's probably a perfectly cromulent serial number. Very Happy
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

FarmerBill wrote:
MrPolak wrote:

You have to embiggen it.

Looks like it's probably a perfectly cromulent serial number. Very Happy

DOH!
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:

I thought this was odd too. The only thing I can guess is MAYBE the title has the C in front of the VIN and MAYBE, and I am speculating hard here, when it was first registered the C was added MAYBE because according to the M-code tag this is a C42 version of the so42? This is the only correlation I can come up with to attempt to explain the C. Still, it doesn't justify it. It only confuses the matter since that not how VINs work but that's where my mind went.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

teahead wrote:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-volkswagen-bus-9/

$73k sold.

NOt bad. >$76k w/all the fees. Plus sales tax (10% where I am in Seattle)!

Good looking driver that just needs the front seat and all new interior.

This one back on the market:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284281806369?hash=item4230841e21:g:kiYAAOSwsthggm0N

Not asking a whole lot more so maybe not an intentional flip, but more like buyer's remorse? High bidder bailed?
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

teahead wrote:
teahead wrote:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-volkswagen-bus-9/

$73k sold.

NOt bad. >$76k w/all the fees. Plus sales tax (10% where I am in Seattle)!

Good looking driver that just needs the front seat and all new interior.

This one back on the market:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284281806369?hash=item4230841e21:g:kiYAAOSwsthggm0N

Not asking a whole lot more so maybe not an intentional flip, but more like buyer's remorse? High bidder bailed?

Interesting. Same seller location on BAT and eBay and same pics. BAT high bidder commented about "bringing it back to Eugene". Maybe they didn't. Wink
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

MrPolak wrote:
20-Years-Owned 1967 Volkswagen Type 2 Camper

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-volkswagen-bus-31/

Sold For $34,750 On 5/14/21
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 48

Jump to: