Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BAT Buses
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Very nicely produced video!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J0HN---H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-volkswagen-bus-40/

Thoughts on this one? I know it's not a pristine bus and already see a few comments pointing out the paint and body work. But is there anything that stands out that make a person pass on bidding/buying this one?
Thanks, John.
mcmmd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

I thought for sure I would see someone comment on my Kombi auction on BAT here! Surprised So, just in case people have been sleeping Rolling Eyes, I am gonna put this up here if someone wants to take a look. The auction ends tomorrow. I feel like I have gotten a lot of great input and help on this site for lots of different topics, so now I am doing a little shameless self promotion. I hope this isn't frowned upon!?!? It is a pretty darn special bus. Probably gonna kick myself for selling, but then I always say that.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-volkswagen-bus-46/
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

mcmmd wrote:
I thought for sure I would see someone comment on my Kombi auction on BAT here! Surprised So, just in case people have been sleeping Rolling Eyes, I am gonna put this up here if someone wants to take a look. The auction ends tomorrow. I feel like I have gotten a lot of great input and help on this site for lots of different topics, so now I am doing a little shameless self promotion. I hope this isn't frowned upon!?!? It is a pretty darn special bus. Probably gonna kick myself for selling, but then I always say that.

That bus is super nice. I hope you get a strong price. The current price is a good start the serious bidding isn’t usually until the last hour and for sure the last two minutes.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

mcmmd wrote:

I can’t believe that turd of a double door panel fetched almost as much money as your bus.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
mcmmd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Yea it's kind of weird but it is what it is! Honestly, I am sort of disappointed but not too much. I had a blast putting the auction together. And there are a few potential buyers who are still "bidding"! I may end up keeping it though. The main reason I was selling is I am moving out of my shop space at the end of the summer but I will be able to make other arrangements. Thanks, for the comments.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Always nice to see another pearl white Komi, mine is pearl also. Interesting that the m-code states rear seat only in the cargo area. I’ll assume the partial camper kit was installed in the 80’s by one of the other owners. You did an outstanding job with the auction and especially your presentation.

Martin can you tell us the story on the human photos? I always love a good story about our buses. Good luck whether you keep her or the next caretaker meets your reserve.

mcmmd wrote:
Yea it's kind of weird but it is what it is! Honestly, I am sort of disappointed but not too much. I had a blast putting the auction together. And there are a few potential buyers who are still "bidding"! I may end up keeping it though. The main reason I was selling is I am moving out of my shop space at the end of the summer but I will be able to make other arrangements. Thanks, for the comments.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmmd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments on the presentation. It was really fun putting it all together. I was kind of in my own little world with the videos, was worried they were a little long. I’m glad some people enjoyed them.

The story on the bus is that the original owners installed the camper kit right after delivery. They were a couple of academics at UCSD. They used the bus to tour up and down the west coast and into Mexico as you can see from the Turista stickers. Honestly, I think it’s a little cheesy, but it’s grown on me just like it did with all the previous owners. The second owner procured the seats, I have yet to install and they’ve just come along with the bus through the two subsequent owners if I keep it, I’ll probably break down and install them.

As far as the human photos, I suppose you’re referring to the high quality ones ones that show that group having such a good time? I admitted to this in the auction, but will probably be chastised here for it for a while. I was leasing the bus on Hagerty DriveShare every time I did I was biting my nails, the whole time the bus was out, but it always went well and I was fine with it because of the “smiles”that were generated.

I guess I was active enough that it caught the attention of the Hagerty people, and they asked to use the bus in a promo for their marketplace. There’s a huge portfolio of that photo shoot and they’ve yet to make the promotion go live. That’s how I met Nick Berard. He is a real pro shoots, a lot of auto related stuff and big national campaigns. We hit it off and he cut me some slack on the deal so I could afford to have him shoot most of my photos for the auction. Actually, he’s not that crazy expensive, but it was a little more than a BAT price and well worth it.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

That is a really nice kombi, almost a twin to my first bus, a pearl white 66 Sundial. Yours looks like they took it to have a caravelle kit installed. Wish it was in my budget...
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crackpotts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Martin, Tony here.

I don't go on the forums on thesamba much anymore, but, had to come on here and vent my peace.

The Austin scene has become family to me. I've been in the Austin Air Coolers almost since it's inception, and now, one of the VWLife crew. I've seen them come and go. Martin's bus, I barely got to know it. Martin isn't the "flip a dub" kinda guy. He loves this bus!

I'm still trying to get him out in it more often!

I'm sorry Martin, but, if you let that bus go for less than 50, I'm gonna lose respect for you.

Everything has a price. If you're gonna let something go that you have emotional attachment too, send it with a smile in your heart.

Tony Potts was known as "darkjuju"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Graysvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1959-volkswagen-bus-12/
‘67 Mustang Fastback
‘82 Jeep Scrambler
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

I’m curious to see what this one pulls, super cool bus. Didn’t take long for the dorks to start posting ridiculous things.
Graysvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

I am curious for sure, doing a no reserve auction with a bus like this is a little sketchy. I paid probably 10 grand too much for it when I bought the bus as a project but I had to have it. No regrets on that, I’ve got some great memories from it the different experiences and adventures with it.
‘67 Mustang Fastback
‘82 Jeep Scrambler
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Graysvws wrote:
I am curious for sure, doing a no reserve auction with a bus like this is a little sketchy. I paid probably 10 grand too much for it when I bought the bus as a project but I had to have it. No regrets on that, I’ve got some great memories from it the different experiences and adventures with it.

I’m curious why you are going with no reserve? I know some of the big sellers do it, like WOB, but he never says why. I have my own theories, but am curious as to your thinking as I know you follow BAT auctions too.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Graysvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

I feel like it’s a special and unique enough bus that it would do well on BaT. Through me sharing it on here and my social media and the network BaT reaches I think I stand the best chance to get the most for it. If it wouldn’t meet whatever reserve I set then how or where would I expect to get even more out of it in a timely manner ya know?

That and honestly I’m closing on a dream piece of property in July so it has to go regardless, something is better than nothing haha. Realistically I’ll still be surprised if I break even on this bus. I have more invested in this bus than any Vw I’ve ever owned. I said when I bought it that it was not a money making thing for me, just for the adventure and fun as well as that I would sell it once I had a piece of property to put it toward.

Braukuche wrote:
Graysvws wrote:

I’m curious why you are going with no reserve? I know some of the big sellers do it, like WOB, but he never says why. I have my own theories, but am curious as to your thinking as I know you follow BAT auctions too.

‘67 Mustang Fastback
‘82 Jeep Scrambler
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Well I for one hope it does really well, lovely Bus 👍
2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
Graysvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Generally speaking I always do no reserve even on eBay. I think it creates more opportunity for more potential bidders to become acquainted with the idea they may actually win whatever they are bidding on rather than wonder if they are aimlessly bidding on something with an outrageous reserve and therefore never bid in the first place. Then next thing ya know, they bid more than what they told themselves they were going to. I don’t know if that’s true but I'm definitely guilty of letting that happen to myself. But me personally, im a put up for sale and move it kinda guy. I’ve never spent more than a couple weeks to sell anything ever. If it takes more than a couple weeks then I’m being greedy bc with the market of vehicles I mess with and marketing available it should never take very long. I specifically avoid super rare stuff that has a super small following for that reason.

Braukuche wrote:
Graysvws wrote:

‘67 Mustang Fastback
‘82 Jeep Scrambler
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Graysvws wrote:
Generally speaking I always do no reserve even on eBay. I think it creates more opportunity for more potential bidders to become acquainted with the idea they may actually win whatever they are bidding on rather than wonder if they are aimlessly bidding on something with an outrageous reserve and therefore never bid in the first place. Then next thing ya know, they bid more than what they told themselves they were going to. I don’t know if that’s true but I'm definitely guilty of letting that happen to myself. But me personally, im a put up for sale and move it kinda guy. I’ve never spent more than a couple weeks to sell anything ever. If it takes more than a couple weeks then I’m being greedy bc with the market of vehicles I mess with and marketing available it should never take very long. I specifically avoid super rare stuff that has a super small following for that reason.

Braukuche wrote:
Graysvws wrote:

Sound reasoning. I hope you make profit off of it. No one should work for free.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Well, this was no big surprise.

BaT is a great place to sell certain buses but a terrible place to sell others because of the nature of the crowd.
If you look at sales, most panels, standards and Kombis seldom get bid up over $38k. Even split campers, unless they are two toned early ones! have a hard time hitting $40k. Bay window campers have gone for more!
Trucks do well, especially double cabs. Nice DCs will hit in excess of $85k.
And of course anything deluxe does very, very well.
Customs do very well too.
Nerd buses though, like that cool panel, there just isn’t the audience. I imagine it would have done better here where the real bus nerds hangout.
Anyway, my sympathies to the seller. Give the amount of work done I imagine he ended up in the red.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Well, this was no big surprise.

BaT is a great place to sell certain buses but a terrible place to sell others because of the nature of the crowd.
If you look at sales, most panels, standards and Kombis seldom get bid up over $38k. Even split campers, unless they are two toned early ones! have a hard time hitting $40k. Bay window campers have gone for more!
Trucks do well, especially double cabs. Nice DCs will hit in excess of $85k.
And of course anything deluxe does very, very well.
Customs do very well too.
Nerd buses though, like that cool panel, there just isn’t the audience. I imagine it would have done better here where the real bus nerds hangout.
Anyway, my sympathies to the seller. Give the amount of work done I imagine he ended up in the red.

cool but you have to like panels and of all my VW fiends, I really only know one guy that likes panels. I have no desire at all to drive one let alone own one
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Page 45 of 48

Jump to: