Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying a Bay Window
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

I did it y'all!

Over the weekend, my gf and I drove down to meet Tim and Bubba, a '73 that's been owned by Tim since 2013. The pictures of it looked great, but it looked even better in person. It was significantly better than any of the other busses we've taken a look at.

A lot of the work I was expecting to do to it had already been done, and I took the advice of trusting my gut and basing some of my decision off of the feeling I got from the owner. Tim was a down to earth guy, VW owner for quite a long time. His first car was a karmann ghia, then bubba, and now a Vanagon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There was basically no rust, and the type 4 seemed in good working order. For transparency's sake ( and for anyone else also in the process of buying a bay window ) I paid $14k for it. I think I got a really good deal, and I think that was entirely because the PO wanted it to go to someone who's going to keep it and not flip it. I honestly couldn't be more excited. I have the bentley manual, Muir's idiot guide, and How To Rebuild Your Type 4 Engine, so I have a lot of reading to do.

I was going through the Bentley manual and reading up on the carburettor, as I was trying to figure out why the idle seemed to be a little too low on cold starts ( it idles fine after warming up ). Apparently, the OG dual carb setup had an automatic choke. It looks like the OG carbs have been replaced with a weber, which I'm personally stoked about, because I don't have to worry about syncing carbs, but I was wondering if any of you could tell me the following based on the images below:

1. What model of weber is this? I want to do some reading up on it
2. Can anyone tell me what the spring highlighted in yellow might be for? It seems that when I take it off, the idle goes up a bit. I was thinking it might have been put there because the accelerator cable was sticking?

I'm curious what the hive mind's thoughts on this is. What's the spring for? What are the first things I should do to it ( i was thinking spark plugs / tune up )? Did I get a good deal?

I also noticed the oil dummy light on the dash doesn't appear to be lighting up. Muir seems to think that's a top priority, and I can see why he'd think that. I was planning on figuring that out before digging into any projects.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:
I did it y'all!

I love it. Great color. What's the interior like? Congrats
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Woo hoo!! Love it - congratulations!
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:
I did it y'all!

I also noticed the oil dummy light on the dash doesn't appear to be lighting up. Muir seems to think that's a top priority, and I can see why he'd think that. I was planning on figuring that out before digging into any projects.

With the ignition on (engine not running) take the wire off the oil switch and earth it to the engine - the oil light light should illuminate. If it does not, it's probably the bulb in the cluster.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

cellobus1 wrote:
I've been following this for a while. I've been a bus owner for 42 years, and have never owned a camper, yet I've camped in 41 states and 4 provinces. You set up a tent (or two) and then you still have a vehicle to use. It's a different experience. I can't imagine having a bus that's only used for camping. I also love that my roof has never leaked.

I know campers are the bomb and a half when they're being camped in, but what about the other 48 weeks of the year? That's when campers sit and rot. Fuel lines clog. Mice set up shop. "Lot rot," dealers call it. But if you had a transporter, you could be hauling home sheet rock, railroad ties, firewood, a Christmas tree, most anything a truck could do. Hell, I've fit two dirt bikes into the back of a bus.

All I'm saying is don't be suckered into the Westy trappings, because believe me, camping in a transporter is AT LEAST as much fun as in a Westy.

Andy

Clearly you have never owned a Westy. My first 79 Westy was my drive to work, hauled drywall, lumber, trash and everything else plus was awesome for camping. That's the beauty of them. And the roof never ever leaked.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:
I did it y'all!
There was basically no rust, and the type 4 seemed in good working order. For transparency's sake ( and for anyone else also in the process of buying a bay window ) I paid $14k for it. I think I got a really good deal

Congrats! It looks like a nice clean bus. If there is no rust, the $14K is worth it. Enjoy!!!!
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

i also have the single progressive. on mine, when you take off the spring, the gas pedal loses its "return" from the floor. it is also hooked to the breather box. feel free to unhook it and jump in and flutter the gas pedal (engine off)
you will feel/see what i am getting at. 1973 bus as well
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Nice, '73 is a good year. See ya at lucky labs in July?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Nice, '73 is a good year. See ya at lucky labs in July?

Absolutely! Is july when you're starting that back up because of covid? I'm hoping to be back in Portland by June. We'll see how that goes Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Well you are in deep now Very Happy

Doesn't look like a bad bus from here, of course time will tell....
The color of that fuel filter concerns me a little, as for the carb and the trhotle return spring here's some reading: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217070

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:
Absolutely! Is july when you're starting that back up because of covid? I'm hoping to be back in Portland by June. We'll see how that goes Very Happy

Nah, that's just when I'll be up there so they best be hanging while I'm in town. Looking at you Xevin Wink

Bus looks okay from the outside, hows the underside? Lets see some interior shots too.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Alright, here's the photo dump for everyone. Sorry about the interior... all my camping stuff is in there right now and I haven't had a chance to organize it yet Smile. And I took the bed apart to get a good look at the top of the motor.

Last edited by theguyryry on Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Well you are in deep now Very Happy

Doesn't look like a bad bus from here, of course time will tell....
The color of that fuel filter concerns me a little, as for the carb and the trhotle return spring here's some reading: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217070

I'll start reading through that! I was thinking about tackling the fuel lines as one of my first projects. I have a fire extinguisher already, but I'd rather not have to use it. Please let me know if you see anything else of concern! I'm hoping to compile a list of todo's so I can start researching.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

I had that "big foot" gas pedal on my bus when we bought it - it drove me crazy for some reason. I went on the hunt to find an original gas pedal. Just before buying a pedal, I accidentally discovered the "big foot" was just a bolt on cover - the original pedal is underneath
Just sayin' in case you're not a fan either. Smile
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:
I had that "big foot" gas pedal on my bus when we bought it - it drove me crazy for some reason. I went on the hunt to find an original gas pedal. Just before buying a pedal, I accidentally discovered the "big foot" was just a bolt on cover - the original pedal is underneath
Just sayin' in case you're not a fan either. Smile

Funny you mention that... Earlier today I was scrolling through busdepot trying to find a replacement for both that and the window crank handles Very Happy
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Damn, yea everything looks nice. Very interesting interior choice, but I dig it. I want to do flooring similar to what you have, just a big sticker yea?

You'll be on the lookout for a pedal pan, I can't remember what late bays look like
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597785

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Looks like a solid bus. The frame and front beam look great. Looks like factory paint under original undercoating. The original heater tubes look to be all there. That’s usually the first thing that rusts to bits.
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Looks like a solid bus. The frame and front beam look great. Looks like factory paint under original undercoating. The original heater tubes look to be all there. That’s usually the first thing that rusts to bits.

the PO did mention that the heater isn't working. I was planning on asking the hive mind about that once I figured out the idle, fuel lines, and oil light. He did mention that the only rust on the bus when he owned it was the front floorpan, and he cut the whole pan out and replaced it with a new one
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Damn, yea everything looks nice. Very interesting interior choice, but I dig it. I want to do flooring similar to what you have, just a big sticker yea?

You'll be on the lookout for a pedal pan, I can't remember what late bays look like
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597785

Pretty sure it's all laminate, clip together floorboards! Yeah, really stoked on the interior. It was originally a transporter, but the PO built the bed and the cabinets himself. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the purple upholstery... my gf is in charge of the interior for now. I think the plan is to remove the purple bits, add memory foam padding underneath, and reupholster with something with a bit more 70's vibe / feng shui Very Happy
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

yea make the quality of life improvements as you go, but I'd say get a really good idea of how you want the final product of the interior to be before you get to money sinking. Those clip together laminates are heavy af, if you ever feel like you need some extra power I'd start there.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: