Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying a Bay Window
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Just getting back from checking it out. It’s alright. Definitely a rusty bus. there’s metal welded under the drivers feet, and a couple holes through the paint, i didn’t see any cancer underneath or coming through the paint though.

It was a type 1 motor, painted a weird blue, i guess to try to match the bus. It wasn’t missing the fan shrouding, but it was missing the exhaust shroud. The battery was dead, and we ended up having to jump it. starting cold it took a few tries to get it going.

The interior was a bit rough, but not too bad. the main issue was the top that needed work for sure. it was just strapped to the top of the bus, lol. It did come with a bunch of extra parts though. two sinks, an ice box, a table (the interior was gutted aside from the couch, storage containers and wood flooring).

He also didn’t have a title. he said he’d get one before i bought it, but that’s a deal breaker for me.

Idk. it wasn’t as bad as i was expecting, but it definitely wasn’t worth what he’s asking in my opinion. I’m probably going to pass on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:
Just getting back from checking it out. It’s alright. Definitely a rusty bus. there’s metal welded under the drivers feet, and a couple holes through the paint, i didn’t see any cancer underneath or coming through the paint though.

It was a type 1 motor, painted a weird blue, i guess to try to match the bus. It wasn’t missing the fan shrouding, but it was missing the exhaust shroud. The battery was dead, and we ended up having to jump it. starting cold it took a few tries to get it going.

The interior was a bit rough, but not too bad. the main issue was the top that needed work for sure. it was just strapped to the top of the bus, lol. It did come with a bunch of extra parts though. two sinks, an ice box, a table (the interior was gutted aside from the couch, storage containers and wood flooring).

He also didn’t have a title. he said he’d get one before i bought it, but that’s a deal breaker for me.

Idk. it wasn’t as bad as i was expecting, but it definitely wasn’t worth what he’s asking in my opinion. I’m probably going to pass on it.

Good experience checking it out. Way too many red flags and way too much $, as Im sure you know.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:
He also didn’t have a title.

Big oof. But hey good on you for checking it out to get a better sense of what not to get.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

X2 The more you look at these things the more confident you will be when you make your choice.

The hardest most expensive thing to fix is rust. They are all rusty, but some types of rust are deal breakers. Buy the bus with the least rust.

I recommend this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Transporter-Rest...8800090278

It tells you all the ways these buses get rusty and crusty as well as how to repair.
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
X2 The more you look at these things the more confident you will be when you make your choice.

The hardest most expensive thing to fix is rust. They are all rusty, but some types of rust are deal breakers. Buy the bus with the least rust.

I recommend this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Transporter-Rest...8800090278

It tells you all the ways these buses get rusty and crusty as well as how to repair.

Saved to my list! I'm waiting to buy owners manuals and other books until i actually get a bus, but that definitely seems like a good one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Quote:
for every guy that buys a non runner that just has to put some hoses back on, there are 500 guyswith a dropped seat and only compression on 2 cylinders that requires a rebuild.

Fixed that quote for you.

Paint without prep pictures means a $500 Bus for parts.

Don’t forget to ask history.

You are looking for...we ran her for 15 years taking the kids camping but now we got a Sprinter.

And not..

I bought it from a kid but don’t have time to restore it ( aka I’m a flipper grifting you for 10 large)
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

I've been following this for a while. I've been a bus owner for 42 years, and have never owned a camper, yet I've camped in 41 states and 4 provinces. You set up a tent (or two) and then you still have a vehicle to use. It's a different experience. I can't imagine having a bus that's only used for camping. I also love that my roof has never leaked.

I know campers are the bomb and a half when they're being camped in, but what about the other 48 weeks of the year? That's when campers sit and rot. Fuel lines clog. Mice set up shop. "Lot rot," dealers call it. But if you had a transporter, you could be hauling home sheet rock, railroad ties, firewood, a Christmas tree, most anything a truck could do. Hell, I've fit two dirt bikes into the back of a bus.

All I'm saying is don't be suckered into the Westy trappings, because believe me, camping in a transporter is AT LEAST as much fun as in a Westy.

Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

having done both I can say while yes it is 'camping' either way it is blatently false to say they are the same..
also false to say your roof never leaked, there's no way you've never had one of your tents leave you wet on the inside.
I can say that in my camper I've NEVER woken up with the floor flooded. even when there was 8in of water under the bus from a overnight deluge.

it might work 'satisfactorily' for you. but it is in no way an equal comparison

plus when roadtripping across the US, sometimes one has to (or chooses to) 'camp' in a parking lot of a truckstop/walmart/crackerbarrel/restarea. not sure you'd be doing that with 2 tents..

the beauty of westfalia travel is the minimalistic approach to pull in pop the top and make a meal w/o having to step out into the rainstorm that came on just as you arrived. or the opposite and taking down camp from the inside to get a move on in a rain storm and not having to reset up a tent(s) @home to dry them out for storage..

while I fully agree that one doesn't need a westy for VW travel/camping a tintop can be utilized much the same ways.. with a few minor additions like a rear bed & front pass seat swivel.

anyways.. life's short and VW camping is the best no matter what/how one does it.
hope the OP realizes that much like the perfect dog/cat, one doesn't just find the right bus, that the Right Bus finds them.

cellobus1 wrote:
I've been following this for a while. I've been a bus owner for 42 years, and have never owned a camper, yet I've camped in 41 states and 4 provinces. You set up a tent (or two) and then you still have a vehicle to use. It's a different experience. I can't imagine having a bus that's only used for camping. I also love that my roof has never leaked.

I know campers are the bomb and a half when they're being camped in, but what about the other 48 weeks of the year? That's when campers sit and rot. Fuel lines clog. Mice set up shop. "Lot rot," dealers call it. But if you had a transporter, you could be hauling home sheet rock, railroad ties, firewood, a Christmas tree, most anything a truck could do. Hell, I've fit two dirt bikes into the back of a bus.

All I'm saying is don't be suckered into the Westy trappings, because believe me, camping in a transporter is AT LEAST as much fun as in a Westy.

Andy

oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

To continue the transporter vs camper discussion, I have a transporter that I converted into a tintop camper. I sold the rear bench seat and found an ad for a complete camper interior and put it in mine. I was about to just make the interior but the ad came along in just the right time. He actually did the opposite of what I did (he had a camper and wanted a transporter). My new interior consists of a jump seat and the classic fold down Westy bed/rear seat. I rebuilt the rear seat frame so it is full width and goes from side to side and reupholstered the two... I opted to get rid of the side cabinet and sink. I have a folding wall mounted table as well. The tin top camper set up allows me to have decent cargo room if I fold up the table and remove the jump seat. I sourced some Jalousie screen windows and rear hatch screen, added an interior light over the table, added 120v outlet, made some curtains, bought a sliding door screen, added a roof rack, etc. I think it is the best of both.

To continue the T4 vs T1 in a 72 or later discussion- I have a 72 with a 1600 DP T1. I found a 71 block with mustache mount and sourced a mounting bar then bought the fiberglass panels that fill in the engine bay so you can utilize the stock air cooling system. The gearing of my 72 trans is fine the T1 (I think around 74 or so the gearing changes and you run out of steam using a T1 with that arrangement). I know T1 and I have a lot of parts for them so the conversion was a simple decision. It can be done right. I would not rule out converted buses. I can't go 80 on the highway but I would not want to in a bus.

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5

Last edited by oc92 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

It depends what you want really. Some want an original Westy and others just care about the functionality. I’ve had the same 73 Westy for 30 years. It’s a pretty basic interior as is compared to the late Westies. I sometimes take some of the furniture out on longer trips and everything out if I want to haul stuff. It’s pretty easy to take the interior out...or find used Westy interior stuff and make it look original. It’s all pretty much interchangeable.
themotorhole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
theguyryry wrote:
Would you make the assumption based on your experience that most / many of the busses in that price range are going to be in a similar condition?

finding out that nothing was done to the brakes or suspension, a shiny GEX engine was installed...

heh heh heh....GEX is still getting roasted after a quarter century...I love it.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

I’m a T4 Wanker now but I moved one of the kids to NYC pulling a 5x8 full of stuff, arrived 0900 exhausted from early start, popped top, and caught zzzzzzzs while my work crew arrived an hour later.

Next weekend m used the Weekender in the mountains with the dogs. My camp gear is in three bins which move in in 5 minutes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I’m a T4 Wanker now but I moved one of the kids to NYC pulling a 5x8 full of stuff, arrived 0900 exhausted from early start, popped top, and caught zzzzzzzs while my work crew arrived an hour later.

Next weekend m used the Weekender in the mountains with the dogs. My camp gear is in three bins which move in in 5 minutes.

That’s kind of how I camp too. A few bins with everything I need and the side tent for more people or longer stays. I prefer to cook, clean and sort gear outside...throw the gear in the side tent and drive to a trail head for the day’s hike. I keep all the original Westy stuff stored in good condition in case I ever sell it or do the car show thing.
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

It's the weirdest thing, I'm not really a Vanagon guy, but I dig the square shape of the T4.

They just look cool to me. And with the wide open rear it must be great for storage and gear.

...You could have pushed up the sagging roof seal before taking pic though Abscate. Razz

As for my tintop camper approach, I'm in the same boat. I sold off the big closet cabinet and sink / icebox cabinet, and even the jump seat.

I use coolers and camping gear boxes that are modular and I can move around. Fold down the main table and my small beer table, pull out the boxes, and its in wide open cargo mode.

Do whatever works for you. Different strokes for different folks.

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Quote:
...You could have pushed up the sagging roof seal before taking pic though Abscate. Razz

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Tough crowd - gotta fix that seal.

The T4 is awesome for hauling. Thats a two bedroom apartment in that load - including a king bed, full sofa, 6 peron dining room set, small sofa, and two 36x36x36 cube stuffed chairs.
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

oc92 wrote:
To continue the transporter vs camper discussion, I have a transporter that I converted into a tintop camper. I sold the rear bench seat and found an ad for a complete camper interior and put it in mine. I was about to just make the interior but the ad came along in just the right time. He actually did the opposite of what I did (he had a camper and wanted a transporter). My new interior consists of a jump seat and the classic fold down Westy bed/rear seat. I rebuilt the rear seat frame so it is full width and goes from side to side and reupholstered the two... I opted to get rid of the side cabinet and sink. I have a folding wall mounted table as well. The tin top camper set up allows me to have decent cargo room if I fold up the table and remove the jump seat..

I found one that's pretty similar to this description that I'm checking out later this month. I can't tell if it was initially a tin top camper or a converted transporter, but either way it seems like the perfect baseline for me. It has the fold out bed and some shelving beside it, but everything else is ready for me to add my touch to. Call it blasphemy, but I'm thinking of putting a bubble top on it. There's a company in CA that makes them.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:

I found one that's pretty similar to this description that I'm checking out later this month. I can't tell if it was initially a tin top camper or a converted transporter, but either way it seems like the perfect baseline for me. It has the fold out bed and some shelving beside it, but everything else is ready for me to add my touch to. Call it blasphemy, but I'm thinking of putting a bubble top on it. There's a company in CA that makes them.

We run a transporter with a Westy interior - we love it. I'm not sure we'd want a pop-top with living in the Seattle area and week after week of rain...tintop works best for us Wink

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

why is everybody afraid of rain and a poptop.,.
if the seals need replacing it's ~$200bux.. but with nice canvas (Rivieras have a nice vinylized canvas) it's still better to camp in the rain in a poptop than a tintop.
hightops are fine but the upper bunk is really only good for storage or sleeping kids under #100.. not so much a weight thing but a size of the space vs occupant thing. it's tight up there and claustrophobic for an adult.

the factory tintop campers had a different 'headbanger' overhead cabinet that fit the curved roof.

but we've a transporter with a late westy interior, jalousies + pass seat swivel modification and it's quite nice. the swivel was essential for ~2adults inside since you couldn't stand up. much easier to get out of the way of each other.
of course age , body type and intimacy with your partner all factor in to VW bus camping comfort too.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
why is everybody afraid of rain and a poptop.,.

We owned a travel trailer with canvas sidings for a few seasons up here in WA. With the general dampness up here and limited sunny days, it was close to impossible to store the canvas sidings without some dampness. First year was fine but by year one and two it became a constant battle against mold/mildew and the canvas. We would find ourselves planning our "pack it up before it gets wet" window if rain was forecast towards the end of our camp. It became a chore.

I can't see a VW poptop with canvas sidings being any better.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

well it is better..
the westy weave doesn't leak in the rain if touched. and there fore also isn't really 'wet' when put away wet.

besides even if say you want to air it out.. a VW poptop is in no way a comparative to a pop up tent trailer. it's a matter of 15seconds to put up or put down so it's not like you have a huge issue to deal with like the TT.

add in that say you went with an improved canvas or even the Rivieras which like I mentioned have a vinylized canvas that isn't just water-resistant it's it's waterproof..

but there's a bus for everyone.. drive what makes ya happy.. some even prefer hightops.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: