Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear bumper bracket attachment to mount
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DHVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: rear bumper bracket attachment to mount Reply with quote

I had some guys sand my 56 and help with prep for painting this weekend. I didn't realize until after they had left that they had removed the rear bumper brackets. In looking to reattach them, I see that the left quarter panel has bolt holes matching the holes in the mount, but the right quarter panel has no holes whatsoever.

So how, exactly, are the brackets correctly attached to the mounts? And with what size hardware?
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: rear bumper bracket attachment to mount Reply with quote

If I understand correctly what you are talking about is the pressed sheet metal channel with two weld nuts on it, those are spot welded precisely to the rear quarter. No hardware whatsoever.

There are several threads on here for repairs in this area. Perhaps search for some of those for better understanding. They can be plug welded on too.

If you are talking about the brackets that protrude through the fender holes, those of course bolt on (to that channel).

Enjoy! Post some pictures too!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: rear bumper bracket attachment to mount Reply with quote

The fasteners are M8 x 1.25 pitch Hex Head Cap Screws.

The rearmost ones are about 22 mm in length.

The frontmost are about 28-30 mm in length, they are longer because they also secure the overrider brackets along with the bumper brackets (the round/pinched overrider brackets stack against the outside faces of the bumper brackets).
DHVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: rear bumper bracket attachment to mount Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out whether the bolts which attach the bumper bracket to the bracket mount, as shown in the pic from the Bentley manual, also go through the quarter panel.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The driver side quarter panel has holes that line up with the holes in the bracket mount.

The passenger side does not.

Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: rear bumper bracket attachment to mount Reply with quote

I see. No they did not originally go through. The channel bracket has an internal weld nut they thread into. Drilling through was likely done due to a broken weld nut or stripped out. As you can see, bolting through just smashes the quarter panel, and can never result in a tightly mounted bumper.

I would recommend a proper fix is to replace the weld nuts somehow, either by replacing the nut itself, or the whole bracket which are available. Keep in mind the generic aftermarket type are the design for later cars, and not for early ones like your 56, if you want exact duplicate of original.
DHVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: rear bumper bracket attachment to mount Reply with quote

I see the problem. Thanks.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: rear bumper bracket attachment to mount Reply with quote

These from Autocraft are great!

http://www.autocrafteng.co.uk/shop/beetle_63/panel...52-60_290/

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
DHVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: rear bumper bracket attachment to mount Reply with quote

Thanks! I also see that WW sells a quarter panel with the mount attached. Is replacing the full quarter panel easier than just replacing the mount?
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: rear bumper bracket attachment to mount Reply with quote

I purchased a driver's rear mount from Wolfparts and it was excellent. In my case it was much easier to replace only the mount as my 1/4 panel is in perfect shape. In my opinion it should be similar in your case (unless there is rust lurking under the old mount) with the exception of plugging the two holes in your quarter panel.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: rear bumper bracket attachment to mount Reply with quote

DHVW wrote:
Thanks! I also see that WW sells a quarter panel with the mount attached. Is replacing the full quarter panel easier than just replacing the mount?

Not easier. Those are Klokermann panels. You need to fully reshape them to resemble a 1950s Bug. I used them and documented most of the manipulation in my current build thread. Since installing them, I have circled back to them a few times due to poor craftsmanship. Have ended up wedge cutting the panel to get the decklid to land where it should. May need to cut it again, as of right now it is still off a tiny amount. Still hammering and bending, but really think that cutting and welding my be a better option.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
DHVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: rear bumper bracket attachment to mount Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for the warning.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: rear bumper bracket attachment to mount Reply with quote

You can not do better than wolf parts. I have replaced a few rear bumper bracket mounts and they are 99% flawless.

Don
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: