Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broken front syncro shock
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Broken front syncro shock Reply with quote

Anyone ever see a shock break like this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by tjet on Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken OME front syncro shock Reply with quote

Yes I have seen that. I recall there was a thread about it. The shock and suspension must move so that the shock sees linear movement. Likely your suspension is moving in such a way that the shock shaft is being forced off center. Bummer.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken OME front syncro shock Reply with quote

Yeah. I think also the shock is either over-extending, or too stiff for my application (van is lighter than stock)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken OME front syncro shock Reply with quote

Your van is really lifted, so I suspect that the shock is fully extended at full droop. Either get some shock extenders or limiter straps that don't allow that much droop. I added extenders to my rears, but I never could settle on a plan for the fronts on my van, so I haven't lifted it up to the same level.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken OME front syncro shock Reply with quote

I do have extenders on them. I hope I'm able to remove it from whats left.

Yeah I should look into some type of limiting straps. To be honest, I shouldn't be all that supprised about this. I've been taking a shortcut to work through the desert almost every day (saves me about 10 min). I've been getting a little too bold on my speed lately while off roading. The "air time" has increased.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken OME front syncro shock Reply with quote

I'll bet it broke right at the last thread where the shock shaft enters the extender. I'm guessing the suspension geometry puts a side load on the entire length of the shaft and that's the weak point.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken OME front syncro shock Reply with quote

Do you think I should go back to the stock syncro shocks instead of ___?

_____has _____for 80 each

edit: I went ahead and ordered the front _____ I also ordered another pair of extenders from_______.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken front syncro shock Reply with quote

So I installed the Bilstein shocks in my Syncro to replace the broken one. The ride and feel is better now (vs the hd ome ones) I havent been off road yet. One thing I wanted to point out is that the Bilstein front shocks have a different thread on the top end, meaning that the new shock extenders wont fit. The new shock is on the left

So I had to remove my 40mm lift spacers.

This is how I was able to install 40mm lift spacers and 2" lift springs.

I cut the spacers in half and installed them last.

Last edited by tjet on Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken front syncro shock Reply with quote

Autozone parking lot. Love those guys

syncroanddestroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken front syncro shock Reply with quote

This happened to me with my shitty stock shocks with threaded extensions after a weekend of hard wheeling.

I welded the shock back together as a temporary fix (which ended up being a perminant fix Laughing for now) still holding together! Can't believe it to be honest. Hopefully it holds until I can fit some big coilovers
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken front syncro shock Reply with quote

Nice.
Here's my broken one on the right. It snapped right at the extension. The shaft on these shocks is too narrow.

jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken front syncro shock Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Nice.
Here's my broken one on the right. It snapped right at the extension. The shaft on these shocks is too narrow.

Is the extension not machined to bottom out on the shock shaft shoulder? Looks like it threads on leaving more threads exposed.. Not ideal. Have a pair machined properly.

J
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Broken front syncro shock Reply with quote

The shock shaft extender looks to be a poor design and a poor idea. You are putting side loads on a part of the original shock shaft it was not designed to handle.

I've mentioned this before, its likely the shock is not moving square to the suspension travel. The rubber mounting can only absorb so much of these out of range forces.

Assuming proper suspension geometry, a better design of that extension, would be to have the bottom of the adapter machined to extend over the stock shaft about an inch to reinforce that weak spot where the shock shaft is machined to a smaller diameter and then threaded.

A truly better design would be a custom length shock vs trying to extend a stock shock. The geometry still needs to be sorted.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken front syncro shock Reply with quote

Yeah I agree the design could be better. It needs to be much deeper. As for checking the suspension travel, I was running out of daylight, so I concentrated on getting it all back together - along with the extra task of pulling all the lifting spacers out. The van is a lot lower now.

The good news is that I've discovered a really nice spring compressor. The only issue with it is that the Acme bolts are too long. I'm going to order a new kit & cut down the bolts. It will be small enough to keep in the van.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: