Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

83 Westy Sliding Door Fitment
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LBC28730
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: 83 Westy Sliding Door Fitment Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

Just purchased a wonderful 83 Westy from California!

Sliding door had come off while they were driving and was only bungeed in place when I got it.

I have all the new bearings on the way but in the meantime I am just trying to see if I can get it to be somewhat functional or at minimum, set in place on it's own when parked.

It got pretty jacked up and I am thinking the whole thing may be a bit tweeked and may need some serious bending/fine tuning to be right again.

Here's the damage:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After getting the folding hinge back in place and mounted, I have a problem with the exterior bolt on the bottom slider hitting the frame as it tries to tuck in:

As well as the top mounting point hitting the gutter for the upper bearing:

I assumed the mounting point for the lower bracket was bent so I tried to bend it in a little bit (about 1mm at this measurement) and that didn't seem to make any difference at all, top or bottom.

Would love to hear if anyone has more suggestions as to what I could do to remedy this.

I do have the VW body repair manual and it is GREAT in the specific dimensions it offers, but I haven't found any measurements to determine how off square these mounting points may be.

Thanks again for any input, I look forward to learning and hopefully can contribute as well, soon, when I become more familiar with this platform.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: 83 Westy Sliding Door Fitment Reply with quote

That side door is very distorted. How does it fit with no brackets held in place? I think your going to need another straight door and hardware. The body could also be tweaked from the hit.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: 83 Westy Sliding Door Fitment Reply with quote

I think you need to locate a used sliding door.

When doors get hit they often get "sprung" and no longer retain the shape they must to close properly.

Sure, you could invest a small lifetime working it back into shape......
once you have a proper door, you will now be able to analyze any body structural damage.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 83 Westy Sliding Door Fitment Reply with quote

A replacement door is definitely the path of least resistance here.

One thing you should ask (as I do not know with absolute certainty) is 'Are the door the same for all years?'.

I know there are differences but do not know if they cam be overcome by swapping parts onto a sound sheet metal door.

Looks like there are 10+ sliding doors in the classifieds right now:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...amp;page=0

They generally do not rust there, so any van being parted out is likely to have a useable one. Shipping, however, will be pricey so hopefully and east coast door can be sourced.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 83 Westy Sliding Door Fitment Reply with quote

It looks to be an early door from what I can see. There are subtle differences between the early and late doors. Someone skilled with a donor chassis, I believe could adapt a late door to an early chassis. But likely not worth the effort.
hihorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 83 Westy Sliding Door Fitment Reply with quote

There's HUGE differences between the early and late doors. When I was looking for mine, 80% of the salvage guys swore to me that they are all the same.
First off, the locking/latching system for the door is reversed. You could adapt that, but some welding and body parts from a later Vanagon are needed. Also the sliding windows are different sizes. Find a replacement early door from another westy, (with hardware) and you'll have a great deal more free time on your hands.
Good Luck!
LBC28730
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 83 Westy Sliding Door Fitment Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
That side door is very distorted. How does it fit with no brackets held in place? I think your going to need another straight door and hardware. The body could also be tweaked from the hit.

That's a great idea. I will check the fit with no hardware.
It's pretty jacked up, I'm also looking for another.

djkeev wrote:
I think you need to locate a used sliding door.

When doors get hit they often get "sprung" and no longer retain the shape they must to close properly.

Sure, you could invest a small lifetime working it back into shape......
once you have a proper door, you will now be able to analyze any body structural damage.

Dave

I think you are right. Overall it is really tweaked.
I'm on the lookout for another.
There's plenty of other aspects I can focus on while that search unfolds!

Ahwahnee wrote:
A replacement door is definitely the path of least resistance here.

One thing you should ask (as I do not know with absolute certainty) is 'Are the door the same for all years?'.

I know there are differences but do not know if they cam be overcome by swapping parts onto a sound sheet metal door.

They generally do not rust there, so any van being parted out is likely to have a useable one. Shipping, however, will be pricey so hopefully and east coast door can be sourced.

I noticed straight away that most of the tutorials/DIYs are the different swing latch for sure.

I've seen a couple prospects within 200 miles, worthwhile day trip!

MarkWard wrote:
It looks to be an early door from what I can see. There are subtle differences between the early and late doors. Someone skilled with a donor chassis, I believe could adapt a late door to an early chassis. But likely not worth the effort.

Definitely the inverted swing latch assembly.
I think it will definitely be time better spent searching for a replacement rather than repair this one.

hihorn wrote:
There's HUGE differences between the early and late doors. When I was looking for mine, 80% of the salvage guys swore to me that they are all the same.
First off, the locking/latching system for the door is reversed. You could adapt that, but some welding and body parts from a later Vanagon are needed. Also the sliding windows are different sizes. Find a replacement early door from another westy, (with hardware) and you'll have a great deal more free time on your hands.
Good Luck!

Agreed, I'm sure it "could" be fixed but I doubt it will ever be right. I think time spent searching for a replacement is the best time spent.

Thanks everyone for you input/insight!
LBC28730
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 83 Westy Sliding Door Fitment Reply with quote

Replacement was the way to go!

Got a great door locally from a buddy for $150!

Probably only 30 minutes to swap out, maybe a couple hours and half a bottle of dish soap to deal with transferring the window assembly!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: