Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

do only bugs with vents behind each side window have this
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: do only bugs with vents behind each side window have this Reply with quote

My bug looks good considering the age of its paint job. Like 25 years old.

It is a 73 and has the side vents behind each side window and last year I noticed paint bubbles just behind and below the vents on each side and down to the top of each rear fender.

If it is only on later model vents then I can assume I better seal them up.

Is this a problem with bugs without the side vents.

I took it to a body shop and the guy said it is not as simple as it looks. He is an up scale shop and checked out the inside of bug, I do not have any head liner and the rear seat is out so he could see that area is double walled and could not get to see the area.

He said to do it right he would have to do a lot of cutting.

I went to another shop shop that was massive and he give me 3 choices,

1 He does it like the other guy said --- Big bucks.

2 he cuts just the area were the bubbles are out.

3 I do #2 ( not that #2 ) and have him match the paint.

He said no matter how old a car is he can match the paint, you can't just buy can of Porsche Guards Red and expect it will match a 25 year old paint job.

So is this common??
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: do only bugs with vents behind each side window have this Reply with quote

From what I understand there’s spray foam inside there applied by the factory on bugs with the vents behind the rear side windows.

Rusting is a very common issue in that area and repairing it isn’t easy or cheap.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: do only bugs with vents behind each side window have this Reply with quote

B-Man you totally jarred my memory, I remember that !!!!

Some I think I saw when I took off the vent grille years back and sealed the vent with body filler.

After all these years, that is a perfect storm for rust.

OK so what do you think about paint matching. These photos were taken at least 2 years ago except the front on photo I took last year when I replaced my front apron.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: do only bugs with vents behind each side window have this Reply with quote

Yes. Just years with the vents rust there. Salt-water/water gets in the vents. The 'Dealth Foam" absorbs it and you get a rust issue there.

If the foam is removed and just regular water gets in there occasionally, it is not a problem.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: do only bugs with vents behind each side window have this Reply with quote

It can get pretty ugly back in there! If you're seeing paint bubbles, it's rotted through from the inside out.

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: do only bugs with vents behind each side window have this Reply with quote

Can I get at the foam from inside the car or is it in another wall.

I have to really see what I can see from inside the car, if I can see anything!!

Any suggestions on how to attack the rust. I would think cutting the section out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: