Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 convertible Ghia body on 74 convertible Ghia chassis?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: 65 convertible Ghia body on 74 convertible Ghia chassis? Reply with quote

I've got a 65 convertible that's in great condition, and I have a 74 convertible that has a great chassis. Can the 65 body fit on the 74 chassis without too much modification?
Canghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 65 convertible Ghia body on 74 convertible Ghia chassis? Reply with quote

I had a similar issue. But mine was only a year or two. I had a 69 chassis and got a good 70/71 body. I had no issues swapping the body onto the pan. In the case of a 74 you have a different bumper set up in the front and I believe the rear bumper mounts are different in the rear, gas tank filler, vents at your feet would be different, wiring. Its not like trying to put a 69 vert poor on a 74 or vice versa. Im sure someone here has done it.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 convertible Ghia body on 74 convertible Ghia chassis? Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the response! Those are good points about the bumpers and all. The 65 is stored in a garage 3 hours away so I can't crawl under it to compare the mounting with the 74 that's in my garage. That's the main reason I have the question.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 convertible Ghia body on 74 convertible Ghia chassis? Reply with quote

You will also most likely have to register it as a 74 since they go by the number on the pan tunnel. But at least you'll have all the cool look of a 65 with the upgraded running gear of the 74, ball joint front end, IRS rear, etc. But I am sure there will be a few other mods you may need to make. Will be nice to see your work if you go for it. Be sure to post pics.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 convertible Ghia body on 74 convertible Ghia chassis? Reply with quote

Doing that swap will destroy the value. Early Ghia convertibles are valuable and worth doing right, including having the pans replaced.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 convertible Ghia body on 74 convertible Ghia chassis? Reply with quote

Quote:
Can the 65 body fit on the 74 chassis without too much modification?
Yes. The most involved modification is to cut and slightly raise the body mount in each rear wheelwell approx. 2" because the IRS' pan has a higher casting for the mount's bolt threads. This raising can be done in a few ways. Here's a good photo of the mount on a '63 Beetle (Ghia is same) which has been raised for mounting on an IRS pan (dnielsen gallery). But since the mount carries a significant portion of the body which cantilevers out rearwards, it needs to be securely welded to the body in the new position. There should also be an approx. 1/4" thick rubber spacer between the underside of the mount and the pan, missing here.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One of the only other modifications will be to replace the plastic single-chamber brake fluid reservoir with one that has 2 chambers, because the IRS' master cylinder is a dual-circuit.

After doing this body swap, your Ghia will look like a '67 due to the wider rear track, the flat hubcaps, no side reflectors (started with the 1968 model year) and the 4-bolt wheels that have the larger cooling slots.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 65 convertible Ghia body on 74 convertible Ghia chassis? Reply with quote

Since you have to take the body off anyway, just replace the floorpans. As mentioned you'll have to modify the rear mounts to put the 65 on a 74 pan, so you have metal work and welding to do in either case. Replace the floorpans, put the body back on, and you won't have ruined the car's value.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: