Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good Website/Distributor for Touch Up Paint?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Good Website/Distributor for Touch Up Paint? Reply with quote

I need to source a can or two or aerosol touch up paint for my LA5B "Marine Blue" van. Amazon has this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6QKU6J/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_KOWICbQ6EZRQK
There's a handful of other paint websites that pop up in a google search. Looks like an 11.5oz can is about the same $$ shipped from all of them.

Does anybody have a go to distributor for paint? Does $40 for a can seem like a fair price?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Website/Distributor for Touch Up Paint? Reply with quote

Haven't been there for the van yet, but this place FLAWLESSLY matched the blue metallic on my real DD ('08 Pontiac Vibe, FWIW)...

http://www.automotivetouchup.com

I'll be placing a van order when I get to work on my window rust later this spring... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Website/Distributor for Touch Up Paint? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Haven't been there for the van yet, but this place FLAWLESSLY matched the blue metallic on my real DD ('08 Pontiac Vibe, FWIW)...

http://www.automotivetouchup.com

I'll be placing a van order when I get to work on my window rust later this spring... Cool

- Dave

Right on. Thanks. I actually had just started a cart on their site, exploring their offerings Cool . Do you think it'd be worth buying their clear coat too, or any garden variety clear would get the job done? (I, too, will be using this for window seal touch up).
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Website/Distributor for Touch Up Paint? Reply with quote

Meh, I'm a little wary at this point: https://www.resellerratings.com/store/AutomotiveTouchup_Microfinish_LLC
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Website/Distributor for Touch Up Paint? Reply with quote

I have had good results with

https://www.paintscratch.com/

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Website/Distributor for Touch Up Paint? Reply with quote

Aerosol can touch-up paint review based on my experiences:

AutomotiveTouchup.com = perfect match to my Orly Blue Metallic van with high quality paint and spray.

PaintScratch.com = good match for my Alpine White convertible, but subpar paint quality and spray. Since it was used on a battery tray, didn't really care.

(As for little bottled touch-up paint, both companies offer good matches and paint quality.)
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Good Website/Distributor for Touch Up Paint? Reply with quote

Or check locally, we have a FLAPS here called Weaver Auto that sells matched paint a variety of ways. I'm not entirely sure where they source it from but it's typically been an overnight thing, pick up next day. Saves on shipping and I like saying hi to a guy behind the counter vs. clicking a button to who knows where.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Good Website/Distributor for Touch Up Paint? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I have had good results with

https://www.paintscratch.com/

same, for a number of different old cars, including paint for the van

though admittedly ive only used them for spray-can versions, never the small brush on touch up bottles

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
howler9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Website/Distributor for Touch Up Paint? Reply with quote

Hi all, I received a paint can from paintscratch.com that does not exactly match with my Vanagon, I assume it's due to age. Their website says they can do custom paint matching by sending a part, but I'm not sure what part to mail. What can anyone recommend?
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Website/Distributor for Touch Up Paint? Reply with quote

howler9 wrote:
Hi all, I received a paint can from paintscratch.com that does not exactly match with my Vanagon, I assume it's due to age. Their website says they can do custom paint matching by sending a part, but I'm not sure what part to mail. What can anyone recommend?
. I had a batch a few cans of Samos Beige from them not match, and then the next batch matched perfectly. The Assuan Brown from them has always matched perfectly. Could be they just need to try again.
But, is your paint faded around the area you’re trying to touch up?
That could affect your outcome as well.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
NorCalbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Website/Distributor for Touch Up Paint? Reply with quote

I have also used Paintscratch.com, (aerosol cans of Titian Red Metallic)
It matched pretty well.

However I've also had aerosol cans mixed up at my local Napa auto parts (Tracy Calif.) and that was good too.

I'd recommend buying clear and paint from the same vendor for compatibility .

1987 Westfalia Vanagon - "Clifford"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Good Website/Distributor for Touch Up Paint? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2361480

Just got a can of LH5G Med blue from Kevin.... Damn near perfect match on my Sinka.

He doesn't have an ad for Vanagon colors "yet" but he does have them.

Pete
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Good Website/Distributor for Touch Up Paint? Reply with quote

howler9 wrote:

Where are you located? On the west coast, Wesco can mix up paint to VW code or you could drive to them and have them scan your Van for a custom match.
You my have a similar vendor near you. They can make high quality rattle cans for bigger jobs. Just something to explore.

https://wescopbe.com/locations/

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
howler9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Good Website/Distributor for Touch Up Paint? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Where are you located? On the west coast, Wesco can mix up paint to VW code or you could drive to them and have them scan your Van for a custom match.
You my have a similar vendor near you. They can make high quality rattle cans for bigger jobs. Just something to explore.

https://wescopbe.com/locations/

Unfortunately I live in the Northeast. Anyone know something similar around New York? I would to drive up and have my van scanned.

In the meantime I ordered from Automotive touchup and see if it was just a bad mix.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: