Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sway bars: T3 Technique, or Addco? Front only or front and rear?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chibicyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Sway bars: T3 Technique, or Addco? Front only or front and rear? Reply with quote

I just added Schwenk springs and Gowesty-modified Bilsteins to my 88 tintop Vanaru. It runs nicely over bumpy roads but is noticeably taller than before and the body roll is a bit worrying. I'm looking into stiffer sway bars: T3 Technique seems to get good reviews, on the other hand the Bus Boys sell a set of front and rear sways made by Addco.

Does anyone have experience with both T3 and Addco?
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars: T3 Technique, or Addco? Front only or front and rear? Reply with quote

+1,000,000,000 for a local guy, enthusiast, Samba member and company that strives to improve our culture. T3 FOR THE WIN!!
JDEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars: T3 Technique, or Addco? Front only or front and rear? Reply with quote

I agree, T3! I purchased the front sway bar from him over a year ago and I love it.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars: T3 Technique, or Addco? Front only or front and rear? Reply with quote

But, there's only a front bar available from Christopher, and he hasn't said anything about a rear bar in a very long time.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Chibicyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars: T3 Technique, or Addco? Front only or front and rear? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I guess the next question is, how much do I really need the rear bar?
Chibicyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars: T3 Technique, or Addco? Front only or front and rear? Reply with quote

Replying to my own post: just found out that the Aadco rear bar hangs _really_ low (I wondered where they found room for that!) and that's a deal breaker. So, I'm going with the T3 and will let y'all know how it goes!
Wish me luck!
tgraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars: T3 Technique, or Addco? Front only or front and rear? Reply with quote

Van Cafe' has the T3 bar on sale right now ...

http://www.van-cafe.com/page_2643_1323/front-25mm-anti-roll-sway-bar-kit
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars: T3 Technique, or Addco? Front only or front and rear? Reply with quote

JDEL wrote:
I agree, T3! I purchased the front sway bar from him over a year ago and I love it.

Just repeating what the others have already said. Fantastic experience and easy install.

You could also reach out to Chris directly with your questions. He is a frequent poster and extremely helpful.

Bill
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars: T3 Technique, or Addco? Front only or front and rear? Reply with quote

I added a White Line rear sway bar to my work van. It made a huge difference when cornering on on ramps and in windy conditions. I would highly recommend a rear sway bar I only wish T3 would release his already!

Hans
Chibicyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars: T3 Technique, or Addco? Front only or front and rear? Reply with quote

Thanks hdenter - did you install only the rear swaybar, or was this in combination with the T3 front bar?
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars: T3 Technique, or Addco? Front only or front and rear? Reply with quote

I have had Whiteline front and rear bars and Koni red shocks on for several years. It handles very well if a bit harsh.
I recently changed to a T3 front bar along with the matching links and Schwent springs. I expect these to be the last change on the front. This combination works well together.
We had had Firestone airbags inside the rear springs which are inflated to about 15 psi when fully loaded. It is a FULL Westy with a larger fuel tank, multiple batteries, dual propane tanks,solar, in other words heavy.
SlowWorks.me make a very nice rear bar that mounts above the transmission much the same as the Ambulances did. They also make a nice set of rear air suspension mounts. I will be installing both of these this summer. The plan is to make the van able to self level when camping. Already have on board air compressor and tank so that is taken care of.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars: T3 Technique, or Addco? Front only or front and rear? Reply with quote

I just added the rear bar with my stock front bar. I've been waiting for the complete T3 set...

Hans
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Sway bars: T3 Technique, or Addco? Front only or front and rear? Reply with quote

my only experience with the addco rear was a lot less than positive.
it didn't fit, the angle of the bends were different side to side, the length of each end after the bends were different, quite honestly the one i had to fit was garbage, i contacted addco to find out why it was so badly made, and they were less than helpful, i am not interested in fitting another.
hopefully chirs at T3 will find the time to get his bar into production.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Sway bars: T3 Technique, or Addco? Front only or front and rear? Reply with quote

+1 for T3 and Christophers support...not that there were any problems-he just answers questions quickly!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sway bars: T3 Technique, or Addco? Front only or front and rear? Reply with quote

T3. No question. Great product, great customer support, great guy. Keep it local.
Chibicyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars: T3 Technique, or Addco? Front only or front and rear? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the prompt and very useful responses! I've ordered the T3 from the Van-Cafe, will let y'all know how it handles. Smile
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sway bars: T3 Technique, or Addco? Front only or front and rear? Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
my only experience with the addco rear was a lot less than positive.
it didn't fit, the angle of the bends were different side to side, the length of each end after the bends were different, quite honestly the one i had to fit was garbage, i contacted addco to find out why it was so badly made, and they were less than helpful, i am not interested in fitting another.
hopefully chirs at T3 will find the time to get his bar into production.

I bought my Addco front and rear sway bars before Chris had any available product. The front bar is a bit too narrow, but a spacer fixes that. The rear bar part number is incorrectly listed on their site. There is a thread here if you search that lists the corrert part #, the rear fit with out issues.
SHOX.COM had the best deal at the time.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars: T3 Technique, or Addco? Front only or front and rear? Reply with quote

Get the T3 bar then flip your front bar around to work on the rear. Check out the Politzie race van thread for pics by TristarEric.
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars: T3 Technique, or Addco? Front only or front and rear? Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
Get the T3 bar then flip your front bar around to work on the rear. Check out the Politzie race van thread for pics by TristarEric.

Factory Rear Sway Bar??
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

The New T3 Technique anti-roll bar - FINALLY!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=614802&start=80
1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars: T3 Technique, or Addco? Front only or front and rear? Reply with quote

i guess you got lucky, the shower of shit i had to deal with did not fit

Wellington wrote:

I bought my Addco front and rear sway bars before Chris had any available product. The front bar is a bit too narrow, but a spacer fixes that. The rear bar part number is incorrectly listed on their site. There is a thread here if you search that lists the corrert part #, the rear fit with out issues.
SHOX.COM had the best deal at the time.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: