Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should I do with this?
Restore to original as much as possible.
58%
 58%  [ 17 ]
Modern restomod is a fine new life for a classic VW
41%
 41%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 29

YetAnotherConrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

This is the 1965 EZ Camper I got from my dad.
Not sure what to do with it. Quite Rusty. Interior has lots of water damage. Dad reports the engine is a 1500cc beetle engine, not the original.

Is it too nice to make a #vanlife restomod camper out of it? Modern camper interior, perhaps with slideout kitchen, modern penta-canopy? Disc brakes for the Colorado mountains. Perhaps a non-turbo Subie conversion motor? Safari windows! Two-tone paint like a deluxe!

Or is the "right thing to do" simply to restore it to original as much as possible, even getting someone to make one of those cheesey striped canopies to attach to the roof runner? Back to the original plain gray color.

THoughts?
Thanks
Conrad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

YetAnotherConrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

Maybe it's a Caravelle now that I compare with others.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

i personally like the look of those windows. i say put on a good top, and a modern interior that suits your needs. I personally would never do the subi thing, but i get it. i like the whole aircooled part of these old VWs. I would prolly build a 2 liter or so. plenty fast. Subi is not cheap unless you can do it yourself.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

If you don’t have enough cash to repair the metal properly, then I wouldn’t consider a radiator. It’s a hacked panel, and originality isn’t really paramount at this point. So have fun!

.. Also... not trying to be mean, but the chances of you finishing the project you have in your mind is possibly not very realistic. Consider starting small... get it running and moving/stopping again... throw in a funky z-bed for now.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

welcome- hate to break it to you but that bus doesn't look that rusty to me all things considered.Smile get it stopping and driving (In that order) and chip away at the metal work. if you finish that long rocker and paint blend it would look good enough to me for now. interior is a blank slate- if you are not obsessed with originality you can come up with a decent interior for now. those style of vent windows generally made poorly in my experience and are prone to leaking.

Take your time and enjoy the experience- read lots and you can leverage a lot of fellow members knowledge/experience and dare i say wisdom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

great to just keep, as is or restore over your lifetime - i'd appreciate just looking at it and tell others about your old '65 EZ - sheesh, i'd probably never drive it - just enjoy ownership - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

Let's see some pics of the rust and the underside.

Subaru engines are for subarus and vanagons, not split buses.

That bus is mostly original paint, and most people here would agree that it should remain original paint. It can clean up really well.

You are new to buses, take it simple and slow. Don't go for the high dive into the deep end of the pool right off the bat, or you will get in over your head and likely end up giving up before you even get to drive your bus. Make it run in stock form first, and you will have much more fun.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

Personally refuse to vote. It is your bus, but as others have posted, better to start by just getting what you have running, reseal the windows/doors and get bus experienced.

You will find once you have it running reliably, and cleaned up that you will get plenty of notice from the public and fellow drivers without needing to pimp your ride.
YetAnotherConrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:

.. Also... not trying to be mean, but the chances of you finishing the project you have in your mind is possibly not very realistic. Consider starting small... get it running and moving/stopping again... throw in a funky z-bed for now.

Thanks--that sounds like sage advice to me.
YetAnotherConrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Let's see some pics of the rust and the underside.

Subaru engines are for subarus and vanagons, not split buses.

That bus is mostly original paint, and most people here would agree that it should remain original paint. It can clean up really well.

You are new to buses, take it simple and slow. Don't go for the high dive into the deep end of the pool right off the bat, or you will get in over your head and likely end up giving up before you even get to drive your bus. Make it run in stock form first, and you will have much more fun.

I'm hearing a recurring theme of 'start slow'! Very Happy

So original paint is way better? Wonder if I can get that brown off that some prior hippies applied!

Here's shots of the underside. I think the floor is ok, but the floor cross members and jack supports are sad. Can they be replaced from the bottom without taking the whole interior out?

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

Floor looks great, except for the rust that needs to be treated. Avoid sand blasting, due to that causes more rust problems later from sand being packed into crevices. Sand acts like a sponge to hold moisture for a nice long time... Might see if there is a place near enough to you to do soda blasting. Then use a phosphoric acid metal prep to get out most of the last of the rust and it washes out any last soda from the blasting.

Outriggers can be replaced pretty easily, but best to get a setup to flip the bus on its side or a full rotisserie.

Brown paint can be removed with 3M Safest Stripper and a little experimenting on how long to leave it on to remove that and not melt off the original paint under it.
YetAnotherConrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I'll keep you all posted as I progress.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

Great advice given. I would get it running, then attack the frame & paint it. You have a lot of work ahead before deciding the type.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

Rusty?
That looks like its a weekend away from enjoyment
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

If it is an EZ camper you should find a couple of plates attached to the body somewhere.

Sometimes they're on the dogleg under the door, sometimes behind the seat. Depends on who was attaching them that day.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

norcalmike wrote:
Rusty?
That looks like its a weekend away from enjoyment

Malokin Martin wrote:

Depending on where you are, any bus project can be a slippery slope. Whether to do a complete restore with getting rid of all rust, or just clean it up (like a bath ) and get it driving is up to you.

It does look like you can drive it w/o rust repair, so that is an option to seriously consider.

Start with a battery and a can of gas, see if the engine will run.
see this:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=247682&highlight=ages

Does the hand brake work?
Air in the tires?
Oil the hinges and door mechanisms.
Then you can drive it round the yard and check the trans to see if it pops out of gear or makes horrible noises.
Then re-build brakes, get new tires. new axle seals. Clean out gas tank.
You may want to check the steering for slop.
wiper motor
etc.

Slide out kitchen is not such a good idea, sorry. Just pack a folding table and campstove.
An awning on a camper is actually very nice, FWIW.
If the interior is trashed, a new one is not a bad idea. But I can't see it from here.

oh... have you ever driven a split bus?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

those jack stands were recalled. I'd get some better ones and return those to harbor freight

agree with slow down. get it stopping and driving first
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

I wish I could find a bus that rusty! Laughing Laughing Laughing
58 deck lid?
Cool bus, have fun with it!
YetAnotherConrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

oh... have you ever driven a split bus?

Does a '70 bay window count?

It ain't a Miata.

THanks guys! Excited to get started this weekend.
YetAnotherConrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

Since I'm going to follow that fine advice and just get it running and take it from there (and most-likely minimally restore it), is it a good idea to repaint the wheels? Those rear wheels are super rusty!

Bus needs new tires and I figured I should take care of the wheels first.
Thoughts?
Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: