Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should I do with this?
Restore to original as much as possible.
58%
 58%  [ 17 ]
Modern restomod is a fine new life for a classic VW
41%
 41%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 29

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

YetAnotherConrad wrote:
Those rear wheels are super rusty!

Bus needs new tires and I figured I should take care of the wheels first.
Thoughts?
Thanks!

If rusty, best to repaint the rims.

"Split Bus FAQ and How Tos - *Read before posting*"

The above is at the top of the stickies of the split bus forum, tis a must to go thru over and over. In the "Brakes/Tires/Wheels" section is several threads on the wheels and tires. Important stuff so you do not get tires that will not do well on a bus. Sucks to be on the highway and a side wind or semi passing, pushes you in the next lane over....
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

YetAnotherConrad wrote:
Clara wrote:

oh... have you ever driven a split bus?

Does a '70 bay window count?

It ain't a Miata.

THanks guys! Excited to get started this weekend.

Experience with a long time relationship with a 70 bay window? About 3/4 of the way there to the unique experience of driving a split bus. Splitties are a little lighter and geared lower, so perhaps a litter perkier (is that even a thing with 44 hp?) given they had the same motors. They drive rather nicer on bad conditions like forest service roads, etc. They have even more rear weight bias than a bay window, so it makes them like a mountain goat in bad road conditions.
WRT your rusty bus? That is NOT VERY RUSTY in the universe of rusty buses.
The front floor patch is not all that pretty, but I'd just put a little sealer under the back edge, then screw it down with self drilling pan heads every couple inches.
You've got a half dozen other commentors that are literally the best in the western hemisphere telling you to just clean it up, fix the brakes and the tires, then enjoy it while working to make it better gradually.
Keep us posted.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YetAnotherConrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet "Rusty". What should I do with it? Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:

You've got a half dozen other commentors that are literally the best in the western hemisphere telling you to just clean it up, fix the brakes and the tires, then enjoy it while working to make it better gradually.
Keep us posted.

This community is amazing! I'm starting to like this internet-thing. We are living in the future!

Thanks all!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: