Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Random reassembly questions
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Random reassembly questions Reply with quote

In a couple of weeks I'll begin reassembly of my 67 fastback. This thread is for what I'm sure will be a bunch of questions related to the fact that the car was taken completely apart at the beginning of the pandemic ... by someone else. Crying or Very sad

Assembly will begin under the dash with air ducts and the wiper assembly.

First question. I assume there should be a rubber washer between the indicated metal washer and the cowl?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And yes, I've fitted up later splined shafts. IMO a vast improvement.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Random reassembly questions Reply with quote

IIRC the cowl has special rubber grommets installed in it first, then you install the wiper assembly.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Random reassembly questions Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
In a couple of weeks I'll begin reassembly of my 67 fastback. This thread is for what I'm sure will be a bunch of questions related to the fact that the car was taken completely apart at the beginning of the pandemic ... by someone else. Crying or Very sad

Assembly will begin under the dash with air ducts and the wiper assembly.

First question. I assume there should be a rubber washer between the indicated metal washer and the cowl?

And yes, I've fitted up later splined shafts. IMO a vast improvement.

Max

Max, since you installed some 70-on wiper shafts and bushings, you'll need to open up the body for them if you want to use the stock rubber grommets for them. Another option is to get some rubber washers and sandwich the body with them. Looking at your picture of the shaft/bushing, it looks like you're missing a round nut that sets the height of how much sticks out of the body, along with a thin washer and a thin stainless steel nut (fits under the plastic shaft cover). I believe you'll need to use the later cap, due to the wiper shaft diameter, so keep that in mind. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Random reassembly questions Reply with quote

Yes, missing the 211955275A caps that go over the nuts on the wiper-side. Ordered.

So, dash question. On a 67 the switch escutcheon are 12mm? ACN shows them as 111-941-515 but doesn't say if they apply to non-type1s.

Max

Last edited by Max Welton on Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Random reassembly questions Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Looking at your picture of the shaft/bushing, it looks like you're missing a round nut that sets the height of how much sticks out of the body

Not sure what you mean. Isn't that just to the left of the grommet in this picture?

Max
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Random reassembly questions Reply with quote

How much dynamat is needed to do the roof of a type-3 fastback?

Max
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Random reassembly questions Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
How much dynamat is needed to do the roof of a type-3 fastback?
Max

I was going to bitch about your changing the subject mid-thread.
Then I re-read the topic name. Rolling Eyes sorry

Anyway, you could measure the roof on the outside and cut it a bit short. There isn't much noise that penetrates the roof, but it does act like a speaker cone and moves sound around unless damped. So full corner to corner coverage shouldn't be necessary. I would expect the package shelf to need good coverage. VW put some decent insulation there stock, for a good reason.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Random reassembly questions Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Looking at your picture of the shaft/bushing, it looks like you're missing a round nut that sets the height of how much sticks out of the body

Not sure what you mean. Isn't that just to the left of the grommet in this picture?

Max

Is that a nut? Just asking as it looks like a washer.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Random reassembly questions Reply with quote

Yup Wink

Max
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Random reassembly questions Reply with quote

Next week we'll separate the body and chassis for the last time. The body will be up on a stand so I can work without crawling over the door sills or laying on my back.

Meanwhile I'll bring the chassis back home to hang the engine and do everything else possible.

Paint Guy is moving on the the doors, lids and fenders next week.

Max
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Random reassembly questions Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
Next week we'll separate the body and chassis for the last time. The body will be up on a stand so I can work without crawling over the door sills or laying on my back.

Meanwhile I'll bring the chassis back home to hang the engine and do everything else possible.

Paint Guy is moving on the the doors, lids and fenders next week.

Max

Looks good Max. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Random reassembly questions Reply with quote

Body and chassis separated, hopefully for the last time. Wink

OK, todays question. What is this oval shaped hole for? There's one near the bottom of the each A-pillar.

Max
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Random reassembly questions Reply with quote

Carryover hole from earlier models with a cable-operated catch for the front setbacks?

ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Random reassembly questions Reply with quote

Yep - and I think I have some NOS plugs if you want to plug those holes - let me know.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Random reassembly questions Reply with quote

They fit! And the spacing is right too. Cool

Max
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Random reassembly questions Reply with quote

FWIW, there's a billion and one detailed/finicky picks of pretty much everything related to assembling a '67 in my build thread.

Plus a bunch of great input from members here..

What’s That Noise?!?
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Random reassembly questions Reply with quote

I know Steve. But ... over 200 pages?? An index would be great! Laughing

And a lot of your pictures are just titled "Fastback Build".

You're killin me! Shocked Laughing

Max
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Random reassembly questions Reply with quote

Ps: looks very nice painted like that Cool

Is it possible to add a side picture? i'm going for the same route, painting the insides black and the rest in colour
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Random reassembly questions Reply with quote

The black you see is something called procoat which is a type of spray-on bedliner. The entire car was stripped entirely down to bare metal and a lot of rusty areas were completely replaced. The procoat has two purposes; protect the car and dead the noise that comes from panels vibrating. Used the same stuff top and bottom on the chassis.

Very little of the procoat will be visible when the car is done.

Build thread:
https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=151582

Page 8 has some shots of the procoat.

Max
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Random reassembly questions Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
The black you see is something called procoat which is a type of spray-on bedliner. The entire car was stripped entirely down to bare metal and a lot of rusty areas were completely replaced. The procoat has two purposes; protect the car and dead the noise that comes from panels vibrating. Used the same stuff top and bottom on the chassis.

Very little of the procoat will be visible when the car is done.

Build thread:
https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=151582

Page 8 has some shots of the procoat.

Max

Jep, just the same purpose i'm going for Cool Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: