Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Noisy Relay (?) Behind the Dash
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Noisy Relay (?) Behind the Dash Reply with quote

My '87 2.1 has what sounds like a relay behind the dash somewhere that makes a clicking noise from time to time. There does not seem to be any pattern to when this happens. It can be quiet for a few days, then out of the blue it will rattle. No noticeable effect, just a random clicking for a few moments then quiet again. I don't think its around the fuse panel, as it sounds more central behind the dash. Anybody had this happen?
AceTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Noisy Relay (?) Behind the Dash Reply with quote

If you have power windows, one of the switched may be stuck in position.
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Noisy Relay (?) Behind the Dash Reply with quote

All seems well with your cooling system? I was having some issues recently which I attributed to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Noisy Relay (?) Behind the Dash Reply with quote

Could it be speedometer unit or the cable?
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Noisy Relay (?) Behind the Dash Reply with quote

Manual windows. Cooling system fine although lately, occasionally I do hear the radiator fan come on for a short time on a cold start. Speedo is smooth.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Noisy Relay (?) Behind the Dash Reply with quote

Mice chewing your wires as you roll along?

An object in your blower fan that randomly moves about?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Noisy Relay (?) Behind the Dash Reply with quote

jgh3rd wrote:

That was my first thought as well.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Noisy Relay (?) Behind the Dash Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
Manual windows. Cooling system fine although lately, occasionally I do hear the radiator fan come on for a short time on a cold start. Speedo is smooth.

Sounds like it's time to take things apart and see what's loose. If you have a borescope you could do a partial disassembly.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Noisy Relay (?) Behind the Dash Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
jgh3rd wrote:

That was my first thought as well.

And mine. Easy to test, just remove the DS front bearing cap that drives the speedo cable. If the noise now disappears, the speedo cable may need a slight tweak to its path - and squirting some grease down it wouldn't hurt.
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Noisy Relay (?) Behind the Dash Reply with quote

My new flasher relay will do that sometimes since it was replaced. The new one will be quite until i use the blinkers the first time then it will continue to click until the car ignition is turned off.

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Noisy Relay (?) Behind the Dash Reply with quote

X3 with Eric.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Noisy Relay (?) Behind the Dash Reply with quote

It's definitely not a speedo cable noise. It's a random clicking that happens while driving...I'll look at that flasher relay.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Noisy Relay (?) Behind the Dash Reply with quote

While it's doing it, turn on the flasher switch and see if the indicator light is steady or blinks or it it stops the clicking.
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Noisy Relay (?) Behind the Dash Reply with quote

I had a similar issue at one point. I feel like it may have been attributed to grounds or corrosion of the connects of the relays. But that was a while back and I can’t fully remember. Might be worth looking at.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Noisy Relay (?) Behind the Dash Reply with quote

One thing to do if you have not tried it and if you do not have the cover over the relay panel is to reach down there while driving - palm up with the back of your fingers to feel the relays to see if you can feel any vibration.
Don't look at them - keep your eyes on the road!

Another thing you can do is when you hear it clicking is to turn something on that uses a relay to energize the relay fully. It might help to id it if the clicking stops immediately.

A relay is not going to activate unless it is getting power so that means a bad switch or a short in the wiring.

Or the negative ground for that relay is corroded and -12v power is having a hard time getting to it.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
fleetwood41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Noisy Relay (?) Behind the Dash Reply with quote

I have an intermittent and inconsistent clicking near the fuse panel in my 1987. It seems to be related to the brake lights because the clicking mostly happens just as I apply the brakes. If I recall correctly, a search on here (years ago) led me to believe that the brake lights and flashers may share a relay or something like that. I bought a new relay to replace it but lost the entire Vanagon tool/parts bag before I could get around to it.

Anyhoo, since everything seems to work fine, I never replaced it and it still clicks occasionally.

Happy Hunting!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: