Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone tried KGRP / Airhead Parts Front door seals ?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
a57oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried KGRP / Airhead Parts Front door seals ? Reply with quote

I bought Airhead door seals and am very happy with them. The first set I received must have been the "factory seconds" as the were too stiff.
The second set, which is now installed on my 72, are excellent. The doors still require a good push to close but they are way better than the German seals I bought from Wolfsburg West. with those installed the doors would actually bend before completely closing. To thumbs up.
Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grantspensley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried KGRP / Airhead Parts Front door seals ? Reply with quote

I bought the factory seconds and tried to install them on the passenger door. It’s binding and not fitting right in the lower front corner. I’m hoping I can fix it. Definitely harder foam in the corners than the rest of the seal.
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried KGRP / Airhead Parts Front door seals ? Reply with quote

I have factory seconds from airhead on my 71. I called to ask what was the deal with the seconds and was told the seals came out to stiff for Airheads specs but still usable.

They are THE best fitting seals I have used. Almost 2 years later I still gotta pull hard on door to close but they seal right and tight.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried KGRP / Airhead Parts Front door seals ? Reply with quote

Have you called them and asked them when the seals will be available? Might be waiting on materials in a ship lying offshore of long beach.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried KGRP / Airhead Parts Front door seals ? Reply with quote

Listed as out of stock but factory seconds available.
Any suggestions for a nice fitting seal that is not too stiff? If not, I'll try the "factory seconds."

Just a regular guy
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried KGRP / Airhead Parts Front door seals ? Reply with quote

Awesome replies guys, it is appreciated. Will be ordering the KGRP ones for sure tonight
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyman71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried KGRP / Airhead Parts Front door seals ? Reply with quote

Similar experience here.

My 73 Westy had a Brazilian right front door seal on it when I got it.
Did not fit well.

Got a German seal. Better fit than the Brazilian, but very stiff. Took a lot of effort to get door closed. Spent a lot of time adjusting door, but still not right.

Then I purchased and Airhead Parts seal. Fit perfect. Adapted very well in a short time. If I ever have to do another, without a doubt, it will be this seal.

Take care all, best wishes and happy trails!!
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried KGRP / Airhead Parts Front door seals ? Reply with quote

I’ve installed two sets of Airhead Parts bay front door seals in the last few months. They’re pretty good, no complaints. They will be a tad tight at first, but they break in perfectly.
pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried KGRP / Airhead Parts Front door seals ? Reply with quote

Best ones I have tried, and I tried two others but can't remember which vendors exactly.
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried KGRP / Airhead Parts Front door seals ? Reply with quote

I had purchased them for my 72 recently. They seemed to fit good. I have never tried any other seal so I have no comparison.
Recently sold the 72 but gonna buy them again for my 69.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried KGRP / Airhead Parts Front door seals ? Reply with quote

I bought one door seal from BusDepot and another from JBUGS. I threw them both in the trash and bought Airheads seals. They are shaped properly and fit perfectly. I very highly recommend them.
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried KGRP / Airhead Parts Front door seals ? Reply with quote

Worked great for me. A little black adhesive in the corners, doors closed right away unlike the other seals that take a long time to break in.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried KGRP / Airhead Parts Front door seals ? Reply with quote

I put the Airhead cab door seals on my bus. They fit great. For the first few months they held themselves in place. After they were broken in I applied a small amount of cement in the corners and below the door checks. I couldn't be happier with the way they fit and work. After a year installed the doors still require a strong pull to close tightly, but the fit and seal are way better than other "German" seals I tried.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried KGRP / Airhead Parts Front door seals ? Reply with quote

I just installed the Airhead front door seals on my ‘71. They are super nice! Although the doors are a little tight, I did not have to adjust the door strikes. I used German seals on my last bus and I like these ones better. They are nice and soft and I don’t think it’ll be long before the pack down.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried KGRP / Airhead Parts Front door seals ? Reply with quote

Sounds like the best thing since sliced bread, the rest of their stuff is usually pretty good, I'd take a gamble on them.
Please report back with your findings if you do get them, my German ones are still not quite right 4-5 years on, great fit, but too dense and stiff.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Anyone tried KGRP / Airhead Parts Front door seals ? Reply with quote

My son is fixing up a `70 dlx bus and we have bought all the rubber we need from West Coast Metric but we held off on the front door seals. From our reading on the forums we see there are 4 various door seals available.

-Brazil non VW (which are said to be garbage)
-Brazil VW OEM (which have so-so reviews)
-German (have the best reviews of the 3 but have read a LOT of people who still have severe issues with them and at the high price has kept us from buying)

-The last style, I recently read on KGRP Airhead Parts web site they are making their own bus front door seals in the USA. Says they did this because all the others have issues. So has anyone tried these seals and do you have a critique of them? How are they compared to the German seals? They are both comparable in price but want to choose the best out of the two. Any info, comments, pictures on the KGRP seals is appreciated.

Here is link to their ad and description.
https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/bay-window-bus-door-seal-front-door-type-2-211-831-722-d/
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: