Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cell Phone signal Booster Kit - Weboost
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

If cell signal amplifiers aka boosters didn't work, I wouldn't be typing this message and posting: I use the home version WeBoost system here in the Oregon outback. If the power goes out, I have a 1X signal that drops calls, sometimes flips to a weak 3G. BUT there is 4G is you stand on 'the rock' nearby. This booster, with directional (mini-yagi) antenna aimed towards the nearest tower 30~40 miles away, gives me a solid 4-bar 4GLTE Verizon signal. I have an unlimited [grandfathered] data plan running in a Jetpack. That's how I have internet service out here - far better deal than satellite.
I'll be adding a WeBoost system to my camper when I am out on the road agan long-term.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Kourt, regarding the ground plan I was under the thinking that the ground plan needs to be horizontal so say for example putting the antenna in the middle of a metal roof gives a 360° radiating/receiving pattern.
Yours being mounted on the vertical side is it biased toward the right side of the antenna or does the vertical side work well enough to give the 360° pattern in conjunction with the roof?
Thanks for the info.

Howdy Steve M., regarding ground planes, it certainly helps in all cases if the plane is horizontal, and that is the most ideal type of ground plane.

However, the higher one travels in the frequency spectrum, the less that horizontality matters.

In the case of a Westfalia poptop, I suppose I could have mounted a sheet of something in the poptop, and then mounted an antenna to that. I draw the line at mounting antennas on fiberglas roofs. The spot where I've got mine creates an excellent ground plane (that also serves well for all my amateur radio needs in VHF and UHF), has easy access, and good cable routing. I hope this helps.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Irishcalifornian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

For me WeBoost has been a hit and miss, depending on your cell phone provider and your geography.
For $500 I expected more.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
[ I hope this helps.

kourt

Thanks for the info Kourt.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

I was just given a WeBoost Drive 4G-X RV system from a friend that isn't using it anymore. It's not the latest "Reach" version of this system, but it's free, so...

That takes care of the product selection! Now, what I'm wondering is if anyone has installed this system, or similar, in their Westy and any advise they might have for me. I have a pretty good idea of how I'd mount the system, but would love some feedback if I'm pulling a bone-headed move, or not thinking through such things as ground plane, etc.

I have a rack on my roof (Baja MegaMule), so I'm thinking I'd just use the included mount and attach the outdoor antenna at the front right side of the rack. This way, the antenna would be as high as possible when the top is popped and as far away from the inside antenna as possible. However, the antenna would be at a slight angle when the top is popped, but I'm hoping that would be OK. I've read where antennas shouldn't be mounted horizontally, but can't find any info on having it at a bit of an angle. I can then route the cable across the rack and to the back, and enter the van where I already have some power cables from LED lights mounted on the sides and rear of the rack entering through the vent.

For the main amplifier unit, I was thinking I'd mount that on the side of the closet cabinet towards the rear cabinet door, but not so far as to interfere with that door. I already have a 12v line running through the closet, so there's easy power. I was also thinking about just mounting it inside the closet somewhere instead.

The inside antenna would be around the rear table area, with enough slack to move it around a few feet. It will be feeding a Jetpack MiFi 8800L with a Verizon account.

Anybody see any flaws with my plan or have suggestions? Will this provide enough distance between the two antennas?
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

I have seen these in action down in mexico.
Pretty impressive

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073V5S3T7/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&psc=1
DeLvxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

Vanlife Geek wrote:

I have a rack on my roof (Baja MegaMule), so I'm thinking I'd just use the included mount and attach the outdoor antenna at the front right side of the rack. This way, the antenna would be as high as possible when the top is popped and as far away from the inside antenna as possible. However, the antenna would be at a slight angle when the top is popped, but I'm hoping that would be OK. I've read where antennas shouldn't be mounted horizontally, but can't find any info on having it at a bit of an angle. I can then route the cable across the rack and to the back, and enter the van where I already have some power cables from LED lights mounted on the sides and rear of the rack entering through the vent.

For the main amplifier unit, I was thinking I'd mount that on the side of the closet cabinet towards the rear cabinet door, but not so far as to interfere with that door. I already have a 12v line running through the closet, so there's easy power. I was also thinking about just mounting it inside the closet somewhere instead.

The inside antenna would be around the rear table area, with enough slack to move it around a few feet. It will be feeding a Jetpack MiFi 8800L with a Verizon account.

Mine is mounted pretty similar to this. I wasn't very careful about antenna placement -- it is currently mounted to my yakima rack. The booster unit is mounted in the back of the Westy closet, but maybe the very back closet would be better. For the indoor antenna thing, I ran the wire through the space in the spice rack and mounted it to the on the end of the spice rack. I know the directions are pretty specific about how far your phone should be from the boost thing, but for me this has been a good location.
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

DeLvxe wrote:
Vanlife Geek wrote:

Mine is mounted pretty similar to this. I wasn't very careful about antenna placement -- it is currently mounted to my yakima rack. The booster unit is mounted in the back of the Westy closet, but maybe the very back closet would be better. For the indoor antenna thing, I ran the wire through the space in the spice rack and mounted it to the on the end of the spice rack. I know the directions are pretty specific about how far your phone should be from the boost thing, but for me this has been a good location.
Thanks for the info! Are you happy overall with your booster?
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

Just an update on my install--I chucked the old Anycall system and installed a weBoost Drive Reach OTR. This is a cell booster designed for semi trucks, to support multiple devices, on all networks, including 5G.

For the antenna, I used the weBoost 4G NMO antenna mounted in place of the old whip antenna above the driver side engine vent referenced earlier in this thread.

The inside antenna is mounted on the driver side B pillar, below the seat belt upper mount and above the galley lid.

So far, this booster has worked well. It definitely helped on a long, rural drive last weekend.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Just an update on my install--I chucked the old Anycall system and installed a weBoost Drive Reach OTR. This is a cell booster designed for semi trucks, to support multiple devices, on all networks, including 5G.

For the antenna, I used the weBoost 4G NMO antenna mounted in place of the old whip antenna above the driver side engine vent referenced earlier in this thread.

The inside antenna is mounted on the driver side B pillar, below the seat belt upper mount and above the galley lid.

So far, this booster has worked well. It definitely helped on a long, rural drive last weekend.

kourt

I could be wrong, but I dont think these boost 5G , they just dont interfere with it. Its still just a 4G booster they have been making for years.
Kind of like calling canned peaches "gluten free"
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

I think you're right. The 5G network includes some of the old 4G/LTE bands, and some new frequencies that the old boosters don't handle. So they can say legitimately that it's 5G, but not truly.

Here's some photos of my antennas.

kourt

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

elyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
I think you're right. The 5G network includes some of the old 4G/LTE bands, and some new frequencies that the old boosters don't handle. So they can say legitimately that it's 5G, but not truly.

Here's some photos of my antennas.

kourt

about to pick the truck one.. you don't think the RV version was necessary? looks to be that just the inside antenna is different?

with where you mounted it do you notice a difference between reception in the driver vs passenger vs in the back?

truck: https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-reach-otr
rv: https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-reach-rv

also what benefit do you get from the nmo antenna in addition to what the booster antenna gives? maybe i'm mislead

thanks!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

Real world test of weBoost.

weBoost Drive Reach OTR (477154) Cell Phone Signal Booster Kit, Made in The US, All Networks & Carriers - Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint & More, FCC Approved https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WYQND57/ref=cm_sw_r_c...&psc=1

Mounted on the front roof rack. (I have some large eye bolts there from carrying hang gliders.)

Here is my office this morning.

On the Colorado river just outside Moab, UT.

Cell signal strength is 1 bar lte. Can barely get a text out.

Here is the data rate before turning on the WeBoost.

Pitiful…..

And after the weBoost is on.

Very good performance.

This system cannot make something out of nothing. If there is NO signal it cannot create one. But if there is any level of signal it will greatly enhance the data rates.

I am very pleased. Without it I would not be able to have my office on this gorgeous spot.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

Dave, at $500 that isn't an insignificant investment, but it sure makes it more palpable knowing it works before you click on "Checkout".

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

elyk wrote:

about to pick the truck one.. you don't think the RV version was necessary? looks to be that just the inside antenna is different?

with where you mounted it do you notice a difference between reception in the driver vs passenger vs in the back?

truck: https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-reach-otr
rv: https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-reach-rv

also what benefit do you get from the nmo antenna in addition to what the booster antenna gives? maybe i'm mislead

Sorry I didn't see this and reply sooner. I was hiking the JMT and gone for a long time.

The Drive Reach RV (the one for use while parked and moving) has a pedestal style of antenna. Flat surfaces are too valuable for me to give up space for that type of antenna. I suppose you could mount it upside down, under the spice rack, above the galley.

I haven't noticed any difference in reception based on where I am in the van (referring to how I have the inside antenna mounted on the B pillar near the driver seat belt).

I chose that NMO antenna for several reasons: it's more discreet, it has excellent gain, it has a low profile and therefore low wind load, and I can use the NMO base for other ham radio antennas if I need to. The low profile/low wind load is important: you don't want to mount the provided antenna to any fiberglas--a low hanging tree limb will rip it down and most likely damage the fiberglas.

I'm running the same unit dobryan is running.

kourt
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Dave, at $500 that isn't an insignificant investment, but it sure makes it more palpable knowing it works before you click on "Checkout".

Dave

And it has already paid for itself. Very Happy

The Western Syncro build
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

kourt wrote:

I'm running the same unit dobryan is running.

kourt

FWIW I only use the unit while parked so no issues.

I did not mount the internal antenna. This way I can move it around to be wherever I am inside or outside. It has about an 8 foot cord.

The Western Syncro build
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

Here's a little update on how I mounted my WeBoost antenna. The outdoor antenna that was in the kit that was given to me was a little beaten up and looked to be a replacement for home use, so I replaced it with the Marine version WeBoost (Wilson Electronics) sells. This antenna is very robust and also screws directly onto the adjustable mount I used to change the angle of the antenna when the roof is popped. By the way, I talked directly with WeBoost regarding having the antenna at an angle and they said it needs to be as perfectly vertical as possible to work correctly, which prompted me to get another adjustable mount. (I already had one for my rarely used WiFi antenna/booster.)

Additionally, I purchased a 1' extension for the antenna to get it as high as possible when deployed. I use the adjustable mount to lay the antenna flat when I'm driving to avoid any obstacles like tree branches, fast food drive throughs, etc.

I'm still deciding on where to permanently install the amplifier/booster component, but I think it will go in the closet. The inside antenna has to be a fair distance from the outside antenna. If it's too close, you get what's called "oscillation". Oscillation occurs when the antennas pick up each others signals and create a feedback loop. A metal roof helps dissipate that effect, but of course, we have fiberglass roofs, so no help there. To get the booster to stop its blinking light error message signaling that the two antennas are too close, I have to put the inside antennal all the way in the back of the van, usually on the rear bumper, which does the trick and still provides plenty of signal for my laptop, cell phones, ROKU, etc.

Now, on to some real world experience using this system over the last few months. First I should mention that I use a Jetpack MiFi 8800L unit to get my cell signal from Verizon towers. It supports MiMo and has 4 internal antennas, hence the "multiple in - multiple out, MiMo". When I have a semi-decent signal, the MiMo Jetpack unit is still the best at pulling in the signals all by itself. I also have an antenna made by Netgear, which supports MiMo, but with only two antennas. It is not powered or amplified and just plugs directly into two tiny external antenna ports on my Jetpack. I am shocked at how well this Netgear antenna works when the signal drops to the point that my Jetpack by itself just can't pull in the signals properly, and works especially well on increasing upload speeds.

Then enter the WeBoost system (Drive 4G-X RV). These boosters do not support MiMo, so you have just one antenna, although it is a big ass antenna and is boosted with the amplifier. I've used this system when there is barely a signal and it works great to pull in that signal. However, the Netgear antenna will provide a much better signal if there is enough signal for it to work. Going back and forth between the Netgear and the WeBoost, the Netgear is usually significantly better. But when the signal is really weak, the WeBoost is the only option.

If you're thinking about getting one of the WeBoost systems, you might consider getting the Netgear first to see if that takes care of your needs and save a few hundred bucks over the WeBoost in the process. (The Netgear antenna won't help if you're just using your cell phone, since there are no external antenna ports on a phone.) Of course, having both antenna solutions is best, especially in my case where I live full-time in the Syncro and am pretty dependent on a cell signal.

Recently, I spent 3 weeks in a backcountry area and had absolutely no signal. None of the external antennas helped at all. They can't create a signal where there is none. For my next campsite, where I'm writing this now, I chose a dispersed camping area closer to a town (Red Feather Lakes, CO) and am getting a pretty decent signal.

The interesting part is that on most days, the Jetpack does the best job by itself. The next best is using the Netgear antenna, but sometimes it's the best. Last place goes to the WeBoost in this particular location, with no real increase in speed over just the Jetpack. However, a couple of months ago, I was dispersed camping at a location where only the WeBoost provided a usable signal and I was certainly glad I had it.

Weather conditions also plays a big part on which solution works best at any given time, and of course here in the Rocky Mountains, the weather changes quite a bit, forcing me to try the different antennas to see which one works best in the current conditions, while still at the same spot. Then the weather changes and I have to start over when my signal quality drops. I guess I have the bases covered now for various locations and conditions, but I wish it were a simpler process. I'm looking forward to trying Musk's Star Link satellite system once it's widely available. It looks like it might be the ultimate solution for internet in the Westy.

Here's a list of some of the equipment I mentioned (Amazon Affiliate Links):
- Netgear 6000450 MIMO Antenna with 2 TS-9 Connectors - $50
https://amzn.to/3927LzD

- Wilson Electronics 9.88-inch 4G Wide Band Omni-Directional Marine Antenna w/ SMA Male Connector $111 https://amzn.to/3DUJXeV

- Shakespeare 4190 Ratchet Rail Mount - $41 https://amzn.to/3hbtSb1

- Shakespeare 4700-1 1' Heavy-Duty Stainless Steel Extension Mast - $32 https://amzn.to/3zUSH2l

Here are some speed tests using all three configurations at my current location in Roosevelt National Forest.

The Netgear antenna is the clear winner in this scenario with the significantly increased upload speeds.

And here's a shot of my current campsite where I've been enjoying Netflix, YouTube, updating my website, reading posts on the Samba, etc. Note my dog Willow running through the frame.

Here is the Jetpack I use (Jetpack MiFi 8800L 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot), although mine thinks it's a phone Wink , so I get true unlimited and unthrottled data directly through Verizon.

In case you don't know what "MiMo" or "MIMO" is, here's a quick definition:
MIMO (multiple input, multiple output) is an antenna technology for wireless communications in which multiple antennas are used at both the source (transmitter) and the destination (receiver). The antennas at each end of the communications circuit are combined to minimize errors, optimize data speed and improve the capacity of radio transmissions by enabling data to travel over many signal paths at the same time.

Creating multiple versions of the same signal provides more opportunities for the data to reach the receiving antenna without being affected by fading, which increases the signal-to-noise ratio and error rate. By boosting the capacity of radio frequency (RF) systems, MIMO creates a more stable connection and less congestion.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

I purchased the Weboost unit and now have to think about mounting ideas for my Westfalia pop-top.

Have you experimented and found that the adjustable mount is needed? I was hoping to setup something using the bracket face on my CamperVanCulture artificial rain gutter bracket.

Looks like this product will fit my needs great. Now I have to figure out which side to mount it on.

Last edited by shagginwagon83 on Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I purchased the Weboost unit and now have to think about mounting ideas for my Westfalia pop-top.

Kourt, have you experimented and found that the adjustable mount is needed? I was hoping to setup something using the bracket face on my CamperVanCulture artificial rain gutter bracket.

I think you'll need to consider using it with the pop top down and with it up and devise a mount that will keep the antenna vertical in those situations. An adjustable mount would certainly make that possible.

Mine is mounted to the front luggage rack so I did not need an adjustable mount, but I do not get any height gain when the pop top is up.

The Western Syncro build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: