Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Merged header with no heat riser attachments?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AidanK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Merged header with no heat riser attachments? Reply with quote

Hi there, not sure if I'm just being a dummy but I'm planning on picking up a 1.5" merged header system with bugpack dual quietpack. I'm working on a 1915 that this exhaust will eventually go onto, but for the moment, I plan to put it on my stock engine. The header does not have any place for heat risers in the intake (SP) to connect. Will I run into icing on the carb if I just block off the heat risers? I'm in Upstate NY, but wont be driving it on cold days, just warm summer ones.

Thanks
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Merged header with no heat riser attachments? Reply with quote

You will want preheat for sure. A manifold will ice up even when it's hot here in California. Such as, not at noon, but maybe at 10 at night. It has to be very hot outside for that manifold to not freeze.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Merged header with no heat riser attachments? Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I'm only going to relate my own experience, so not necessarily recommending for anyone else on this planet.

I've run my 1835cc DP engine without heat risers since back in 1976, as the aftermarket intake manifold for my single Weber 40DCNF didn't have them, see photo. This Weber carb also has no choke. I'm in Arizona, and do observe a difference when engine is first started (first 5 minutes) in winter than in summer; needs a few minutes to warm up in the winter, which can get down to 50F in my garage. So I think that it's well worth the try for you to use yours in summer/warmer part of the year. Yes, I plan to paint the tins black next time the engine is out, but it hasn't been out for over 15 years.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't always follow "conventional wisdom" repeated by those who've never actually had any direct experience with the subject. For example, I run thin wall 92mm cylinders, have shroud-mounted external oil cooler, and lid standoffs; for those, see disclaimer at top of this reply.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Merged header with no heat riser attachments? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Disclaimer: I'm only going to relate my own experience, so not necessarily recommending for anyone else on this planet.

I've run my 1835cc DP engine without heat risers since back in 1976, as the aftermarket intake manifold for my single Weber 40DCNF didn't have them, see photo. This Weber carb also has no choke. I'm in Arizona, and do observe a difference when engine is first started (first 5 minutes) in winter than in summer; needs a few minutes to warm up in the winter, which can get down to 50F in my garage. So I think that it's well worth the try for you to use yours in summer/warmer part of the year. Yes, I plan to paint the tins black next time the engine is out, but it hasn't been out for over 15 years.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't always follow "conventional wisdom" repeated by those who've never actually had any direct experience with the subject. For example, I run thin wall 92mm cylinders, have shroud-mounted external oil cooler, and lid standoffs; for those, see disclaimer at top of this reply.

50 in the winter. I miss those days when I used to live there!!! Now if I don't keep heat on in the garage in the winter, my pipes freeze.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: