Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Dripping from Main Seal
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

Car is stock 1961 VW Beetle. I rebuilt the motor last year (1200cc 40hp). Put it in the car, has a small drip of oil from main seal. Dropped the motor, replaced the main seal again, put it back in, still dripping. Took it for a drive today and it seems to be dripping slightly more.

I saw a double lipped seal before and wonder if that is what I should use. I don't know what else to do.

Any suggestions? Anyone use a double lipped seal with success? Recommendations of seal?

Thanks
Bob
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

What's your end play?

Are you oiling the lips of the seal when you install it? If it's dry where the flywheel touches it, it will burn and leak almost immediately.

Check the flywheel for any burrs or debris on the snout.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

endplay is .006". Rebuilt last year. Less than 500 miles on it. I did oil the rim of the seal last time I replaced it.

Wonder if I should install a Speedy Sleeve to help with sealing the seal.

Pruneman99 wrote:
What's your end play?

Are you oiling the lips of the seal when you install it? If it's dry where the flywheel touches it, it will burn and leak almost immediately.

Check the flywheel for any burrs or debris on the snout.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
endplay is .006".

Isn't 0.006" the maximum ????

http://www.vw-resource.com/endplay.html

https://www.jbugs.com/product/video-vw-super-beetle-oil-pump-crank-end-play.html[/img]
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

It could be .0005" too. It was within specs when I rebuilt it, so I don't remember exactly what it was, but end play is good.

Cusser wrote:
txasylum wrote:
endplay is .006".

Isn't 0.006" the maximum ????

http://www.vw-resource.com/endplay.html

https://www.jbugs.com/product/video-vw-super-beetle-oil-pump-crank-end-play.html[/img]
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

.006 is a bit loose, but I'd call it ok still. Mine is much worse.

Polish the snout on the flywheel. You can drill an extra drain hole in the case at the 6 o'clock position to help drain back. I've not tried to his mod, but others have and reported success.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

I just ordered a crank shaft repair seal and new crank seal. The repair seal is also known as a speadi sleeve.

Pruneman99 wrote:

Polish the snout on the flywheel. You can drill an extra drain hole in the case at the 6 o'clock position to help drain back. I've not tried to his mod, but others have and reported success.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

I used to have the same issue with my ‘67. I paid 2 different shops to replace the main seal, but it still leaked.

So, I bought a new flywheel from Aircooled.net, and installed it myself...along with a new Erling main seal.

6,000 miles later and no leaks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

Unfortunately the flywheel I have is not one you can buy. I am willing to bet the Speedi Sleeve will resolve my issue. Just got to pull the motor again, ugh.

FL-Frank wrote:
I used to have the same issue with my ‘67. I paid 2 different shops to replace the main seal, but it still leaked.

So, I bought a new flywheel from Aircooled.net, and installed it myself...along with a new Erling main seal.

6,000 miles later and no leaks.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

Are you ABSOLUTELY positive it isnt the cam plug, and just leaking down and coming down past the flywheel seal. New cam plugs are notorious for leaking. Only use OE VW. Even old VW ones tapped with a socket to expand, will leak if not expanded enough to seal and fit tight to the case.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

That is one thing to check when I pull the motor. Might be hard to tell exactly what is leaking, but I will look. For what it is worth, I did put sealant on that plug when I put the case halves together.

wheel607 wrote:
Are you ABSOLUTELY positive it isnt the cam plug, and just leaking down and coming down past the flywheel seal. New cam plugs are notorious for leaking. Only use OE VW. Even old VW ones tapped with a socket to expand, will leak if not expanded enough to seal and fit tight to the case.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

I had two Chinese cam plugs leak and pulled the motor twice. I had used sealant both times also and I didnt even notice the cam plugs moved around with the sealant on them. The ill fitting plugs caused the oil to pour past the seal and drip down the same place as the main seal. I have built 100s of motors but this leak had me flustered. The plug you want will have VW or a VW part number stamped on it. What you need to do is flare it just a bit so there is a crush at the seal, bolt up the case and check it. Dont find it when you start the motor as I did. I never suspected the cam plug was the problem. I was looking at the flywheel and crank which I just got back from DPR and spent over $1000 to have it worked on. I will never use any cam plug except OE VW (even used).
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

Probably impossible to test it to see if it is leaking when the motor is out of the car, correct? Tipping the motor up on one end so the oil reaches the cam plug? Will that leak if that is the problem?
And that is the problem, I suppose I can split the case enough just to change it out without a complete tear down.

wheel607 wrote:
I had two Chinese cam plugs leak and pulled the motor twice. I had used sealant both times also and I didnt even notice the cam plugs moved around with the sealant on them. The ill fitting plugs caused the oil to pour past the seal and drip down the same place as the main seal. I have built 100s of motors but this leak had me flustered. The plug you want will have VW or a VW part number stamped on it. What you need to do is flare it just a bit so there is a crush at the seal, bolt up the case and check it. Dont find it when you start the motor as I did. I never suspected the cam plug was the problem. I was looking at the flywheel and crank which I just got back from DPR and spent over $1000 to have it worked on. I will never use any cam plug except OE VW (even used).
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

Drill another drain hole? I've never heard of that being done. Is this something folks do all the time?

Pruneman99 wrote:

wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

Usually motor has to run. When you remove it, just take the flywheel off, gingerly, so as not to disturb where the oil is coming from. About the only way to tell if it is indeed leaking, is just to look at it......see if oil is running from cam plug to the mainshaft seal and then to bottom of motor. It has to come from top, cam plug to bottom, usually collecting and distributed by oil plate at bottom. The leak will not occur and show itself from bottom to top. And yes, another drain hole is drilled, but you cannot repair this engine unless you either change the cam plug or flywheel seal or maybe even the crank or flywheel. Again 40 year old, used cam plugs from VW work better than the new crap from China.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

I took the flywheel off and lots of oil Ran down the block. Of course this was normal because the existing drain hole is at 9 o’clock. Anyway. No grove in flywheel but I did notice when I slipped the seal on it it was tight initially and then seemed to slide mist easier as I slid It down. So guessing it is worn. Still not sure abt drilling a hole in the case at 6 o’clock position.

wheel607 wrote:
Usually motor has to run. When you remove it, just take the flywheel off, gingerly, so as not to disturb where the oil is coming from. About the only way to tell if it is indeed leaking, is just to look at it......see if oil is running from cam plug to the mainshaft seal and then to bottom of motor. It has to come from top, cam plug to bottom, usually collecting and distributed by oil plate at bottom. The leak will not occur and show itself from bottom to top. And yes, another drain hole is drilled, but you cannot repair this engine unless you either change the cam plug or flywheel seal or maybe even the crank or flywheel. Again 40 year old, used cam plugs from VW work better than the new crap from China.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

If you find yourself splitting the case at some time, the link below shows some pictures of how to add the extra main seal drain VW featured on later model cases.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9469804&highlight=#9469804
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

Are you driving the seal in all the way until it bottoms out?

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

And if u are, try leaving the seal flush and not inset.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

case cracked behind #3 ? oil galley plug leaking? 2 things not checked.
rare . especially on a 40 hp . but you never know.
Steve
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: