Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Dripping from Main Seal
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

VW Brazil had a second oil drain from the VW factory. With engine together it is easy to just drill a drain hole and it will not get blocked up with engine case sealant when assembling. Does help to have another engine case apart to visualize at what angle to drill the hole and miss hitting the large case half stud bore which would cause a bigger oil leak.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=649204&highlight=fly+wheel+oil+drain

Also helps to polish the bore for the seal in the case with 300 or 400 grit wet/dry sand paper. Any corrosion or scratch will cause oil to leak around the FW seal outer edge. Personally have never used a sealant (just oil the outer edge of the seal so it slides into place) and once I took up polishing the seal bore, have not had any oil leakage problem.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

So I ordered the speedi sleeve based on this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjIbYMDDwMA and it is not the right size. The part on the video fits on the flywheel. I got the same part, but it is too small.

txasylum wrote:
I just ordered a crank shaft repair seal and new crank seal. The repair seal is also known as a speadi sleeve.

Pruneman99 wrote:
.006 is a bit loose, but I'd call it ok still. Mine is much worse.

Polish the snout on the flywheel. You can drill an extra drain hole in the case at the 6 o'clock position to help drain back. I've not tried to his mod, but others have and reported success.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Dripping from Main Seal Reply with quote

What's the flywheel surface where the wheel slips into the seal look like? Is there surface rust? Is it rough? The issue isnt the seal.

Are you lubing the ID if the seal when you install it?

Is it even comming from the seal?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: