Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing Generator Stand Studs/Nuts with BOLTS for Easy Removal
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Replacing Generator Stand Studs/Nuts with BOLTS for Easy Removal Reply with quote

I've come across this here and there but there isn't a dedicated thread for it so I thought I'd start one. I have a specific question I'm looking for opinions on as well

The basic idea is to replace the generator stand studs/nuts with bolts so that in the event your generator happens to fail you do not need to drop the engine or try to mess with pulling the shroud from the car.

There are TWO ways I have seen this approached

First method involves modifying the stand. The front two holes get slotted and only the rear two studs gets replaced with bolts. When doing it this way you would remove the two bolts, loosen the nuts closest to the shroud, then slide out the stand.

Second method is basically the same except skip slotting the stand, remove the studs, and just use four bolts. All four bolts would need to be removed to replace generator.

Which method would you choose and why?

And If you do this mod already, are there any tricks or iterations I have not mentioned that anyone wants to share?

Last edited by evanfrucht on Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Generator Stand Studs/Nuts with BOLTS for Easy Removal Reply with quote

Been there, done that.

Steel inserts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Generator Stand Studs/Nuts with BOLTS for Easy Removal Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Been there, done that.

Steel inserts.

Neat trick! That's will give the doubters nothing to argue about Twisted Evil

I'm not really scared of messing up the threads, I figure as long as I'm careful it should be fine. Plus it only gets removed rarely, if that... But that is a good precaution to take.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Generator Stand Studs/Nuts with BOLTS for Easy Removal Reply with quote

It's a neat trick but I don't need it. because
1-never had a generator actually fail of it's own fault.
2- most vw's, it is possible to remove the generator in the vehicle without modifying anything, including all the ones I ever owned.

BUT if you have a particular model of vehicle and engine setup that you CAN't, then it might be worth thinking about.
Especially with an alternator.
Theoretically an alternator has far less to go wrong, but from what I see they fail 3x more often, and are more bulky, somehow just more of a PITA overall.

if you buy the time-sert kit, also do the oil pump studs, and the two long case studs by the flywheel cam bearing.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Generator Stand Studs/Nuts with BOLTS for Easy Removal Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Been there, done that.

Steel inserts.

Glenn, would you mind hosting some of your photos on TS? I'm behind a firewall that won't let me access personal servers so I miss a lot of the context when you respond. I've learned to look for good, concise information when you post.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Generator Stand Studs/Nuts with BOLTS for Easy Removal Reply with quote

modok wrote:
...if you buy the time-sert kit, also do the oil pump studs, and the two long case studs by the flywheel cam bearing.

I've seen those cam bearing studs pull out a lot and personally experienced it on an engine I rebuilt.. I will time sert those studs on every engine I build in the future.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Generator Stand Studs/Nuts with BOLTS for Easy Removal Reply with quote

modok wrote:
It's a neat trick but I don't need it. because
1-never had a generator actually fail of it's own fault.
2- most vw's, it is possible to remove the generator in the vehicle without modifying anything, including all the ones I ever owned.

BUT if you have a particular model of vehicle and engine setup that you CAN't, then it might be worth thinking about.
Especially with an alternator.
Theoretically an alternator has far less to go wrong, but from what I see they fail 3x more often, and are more bulky, somehow just more of a PITA overall.

if you buy the time-sert kit, also do the oil pump studs, and the two long case studs by the flywheel cam bearing.

How do you remove the generator from a bug? Im actually curious what the secret is, you make it sound easy. Remove the decklid and then struggle with the shroud? At that point I'd rather drop the engine personally.

And shortly after I bought my car the generator failed, so I'm forever weary. Plus I rebuilt this current one myself Laughing They do wear out and the bearings go out, plus the factory re-manufacting these days is as great as it used to be.

Last edited by evanfrucht on Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Generator Stand Studs/Nuts with BOLTS for Easy Removal Reply with quote

Lifting the shroud is a PITA if the thermostat is still connected.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Generator Stand Studs/Nuts with BOLTS for Easy Removal Reply with quote

You can unbolt the fan in the shroud and pull the generator. Just catch the shims when you pull it. A air ratchet helps as often the bolts are way too tight or stuck.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Generator Stand Studs/Nuts with BOLTS for Easy Removal Reply with quote

Ya I guess this is so much easier since you dont have to untorque fan or mess with shroud or removing decklid at all. That decklid really knows how to get in middle of things Razz Laughing
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Generator Stand Studs/Nuts with BOLTS for Easy Removal Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:

How do you remove the generator from a bug? Remove the decklid and then struggle with the shroud? At that point I'd rather drop the engine personally.

I don't really remember.
If I don't remember,
usually that means it wasn't horribly difficult.

But there are so many different combinations of body and engine I'm not even going to speculate every combo, it could be easier to drop the engine sometimes.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Generator Stand Studs/Nuts with BOLTS for Easy Removal Reply with quote

Ya, I should put in the original post that this mainly concerns most years of the Bug, since that's really where this becomes an issue.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Generator Stand Studs/Nuts with BOLTS for Easy Removal Reply with quote

And intake manifolds! A lot of people want to change the intake manifold and don't realize that it's trapped under the generator.
To change the oil cooler seals the shroud must come off anyway, at least I assumed it did. probably someone will say otherwise. Who knows.
The monkey brain can sometimes gain the power to reach the unreachable bolt with enough motivation (desperation). We are evolved to do it Shocked
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Generator Stand Studs/Nuts with BOLTS for Easy Removal Reply with quote

modok wrote:
And intake manifolds! A lot of people want to change the intake manifold and don't realize that it's trapped under the generator.
To change the oil cooler seals the shroud must come off anyway, at least I assumed it did. probably someone will say otherwise. Who knows.
The monkey brain can sometimes gain the power to reach the unreachable bolt with enough motivation (desperation). We are evolved to do it Shocked

I fabricated my own overdesigned Hoover bit which attaches to shroud with a few screws, one of which literally took me 1 hour to figure out how to screw in. Then I had to take the shroud off again for some reason... lol. Hard to explain but it's funny, trust me.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Generator Stand Studs/Nuts with BOLTS for Easy Removal Reply with quote

The question still remains, whether to SLOT or NOT?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Generator Stand Studs/Nuts with BOLTS for Easy Removal Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
The question still remains, whether to SLOT or NOT?

I have slotted the forward side gen stand holes. And replaced the rear studs with bolts.

Have I had a need to do a gen change without removing the FS? No!

But, it's nice to at least have the ability to change a gen without removing the engine from the car.

Dual carbs are a B!tch. When it comes to removing an engine for a simple fix.

Question answered.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Generator Stand Studs/Nuts with BOLTS for Easy Removal Reply with quote

The more specific question I have (probably overthinking it) is whether to slot the stand or simply replace all 4 studs with bolts.

I'm about to do one or the other tmrw and still haven't made up my mind
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Generator Stand Studs/Nuts with BOLTS for Easy Removal Reply with quote

How much do you wanna F with the left forward fastener, when you have to with all the ancillaries in place .

Do the time sert install on all the holes.
Use three bolts and one stud (forward left), If it makes you comfortable. < I haven't done that. Eh?

quote="evanfrucht"]The more specific question I have (probably overthinking it) is whether to slot the stand or simply replace all 4 studs with bolts.

I'm about to do one or the other tmrw and still haven't made up my mind[/quote]

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Generator Stand Studs/Nuts with BOLTS for Easy Removal Reply with quote

1. I gave thought to slotting holes in my generator stand and using bolts back when I rebuilt my 1600cc engine back in 2016-2017.

2. I decided not to do this, as my two VWs have generators are "rebuilt by Bosch" units from several decades ago, and have been reliable. I had previously worn out and replaced generator bearings (which I found a pain to obtain and replace) so on these "rebuilt by Bosch" generators I deliberately run the generator belt a little loose to ease strain on the generator bearings; my belt does not slip, and I do not have overheating issues either.

3. I'm experienced in removing the complete fan shroud from my VWs without pulling the engine, so for me this is another option. If I pull the 1835cc engine on my convertible, I'd "have to" paint the tins black.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Generator Stand Studs/Nuts with BOLTS for Easy Removal Reply with quote

I’m setting here trying to think of I’ve ever had to unbolt a generator stand for any type repair.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: