Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Putting larger brake wheel cylinders in the rear
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Putting larger brake wheel cylinders in the rear Reply with quote

I know there has been common practice or putting larger brake wheel cylinders in the back (eg, replace the stock rear 17mm brake rear brake cylinders with 22mm brake cylinders) to help with braking when running Cal-Look with larger rear tires (talking about 4 wheel drums).

By doing this will it effect brake pedal throw before a solid pedal is felt?

With the stock set up I got a firm brake pedal some 1" in, but with larger brake wheel cylinders in the back the pedal throw is like half way to the floor before I feel anything.

I have done the pressure bleeding as well.

Thanks
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Putting larger brake wheel cylinders in the rear Reply with quote

This is serious stuff not to be approached haphazardly. I have ever improved rear braking without at least some improvement in front, like disks or twin leading shoe. It is more interesting to increase breaking surface area rather than cylinder size alone. Remember:

Front brakes break loose: no biggie

Rear brakes break loose: spin city
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Putting larger brake wheel cylinders in the rear Reply with quote

The pedal travel should be 34% more than it was before.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Putting larger brake wheel cylinders in the rear Reply with quote

I did mine recently.

Yes the pedal moves more but is not an issue.
I have braided lines to go on but not got round to it yet. I fitted drilled front discs and performance pads with new stock hardware at the rear and love how the car has reacted. Braking hard with a bit of steering angle suddenly doesn't try to kill me.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Putting larger brake wheel cylinders in the rear Reply with quote

It’s a good idea to change up the wheel cylinders when changing sizes of tires, or disrupting the weight bias of the car.

Example, on rail buggies. I put the small 17mm rear wheel cylinders up front because with no body work or gas tank, the front is so light that I can pick it up myself. My buggy has 33” tires in the rear, and a heavy Vanagon transmission, gas tank, and Type 4 engine in the back. I actually modified the backing plates so I could use Super Beetle 23.6mm front cylinders in the rear, even larger than the standard bug 22mm front cylinders. It was a pretty easy swap. The bolt hole for the cylinder has to be slotted due to the different mounting boss to bolt hole spacing, and it needed a shim between the cylinder and backing plate. By doing these mods, it brakes beautifully, just like a stock car. Having the standard wheel cylinder arrangement like a full bodied car is just downright dangerous in a buggy. Way to much braking up front if you don’t swap things around.

So, in a cal-look, if you got bigger meatier tiers at the back, it may be work beefing up the rear cylinders a bit to keep brake balance the same.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Putting larger brake wheel cylinders in the rear Reply with quote

I jacked up the rear of the car since I replace the rear wheel cylinders to take a crack at bleeding again. Sure enough there was still some air in the lines.

The pedal is much much better now. I am going to run it for a while and see how the larger rear wheel brake cylinders feel.

Thanks
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting larger brake wheel cylinders in the rear Reply with quote

i looked into wheel cylinders a while back with my local guy that sells empi and most of there's used the same wheel cylinders. he knew they were different from factory but looked like aftermarket just used a one size fits all approach.
so even if u go to the local parts store , and you buy a front wheel cylinder thinking its a larger wheel cylinder is it really? obviously if you have to modify your backing plate its some how different. but otherwise maybe its just the same part? something to think about is all
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting larger brake wheel cylinders in the rear Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
I jacked up the rear of the car since I replace the rear wheel cylinders to take a crack at bleeding again. Sure enough there was still some air in the lines.
The pedal is much much better now.
Thanks

Every time I can't get a good pedal this is what I end up finding even though I went through the sequence several times at that point. Sometimes letting the car site or drive it around small streets and then trying again helps.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting larger brake wheel cylinders in the rear Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
i looked into wheel cylinders a while back with my local guy that sells empi and most of there's used the same wheel cylinders. he knew they were different from factory but looked like aftermarket just used a one size fits all approach.

The size of the hole cam be determined, by measuring the size of the hole.
But besides the hole there are also other parts.
There is the groove that the shoe fits in.
Early cars the shoe should be a snug fit in the groove, but not tight. May need to chamfer the edges of old shoes as they mushroom out. In later years they made the groove extra wide and the shoe floats in there.
the wide groove needs to be used with backing plates that guide the shoe on three pads.
to use these with early backing plates you can weld up and widen the part of the shoe that goes in the groove so it fits snug, but the newer style design is better so best to get newer backing plates.
Backing plates can be bent.

i have seen wheel cylinders wrongly sold for older cars. There is no ledge or stop on the pistons, you can push the pistons clear through the cylinder. That is only for self adjusting brakes, or brakes where the adjuster is in the e-brake thingy.
So....yeah parts sellers sometimes get it wrong, but you should have no problem educating them about it if you know how it works. Always compare old part to new. unless the last guy didn't. then, seek help. Razz
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting larger brake wheel cylinders in the rear Reply with quote

j-dub wrote:
74 Thing wrote:
The pedal is much much better now.
Thanks

Every time I can't get a good pedal this is what I end up finding even though I went through the sequence several times at that point. Sometimes letting the car site or drive it around small streets and then trying again helps.

I had similar issues with an S bug , putting on type3 rear brakes ,everything new , had 1/2 pedal , bleed and bleed . Was thinking the old master cylinder was toast , left it over night , bleed up straight away , I had the car on stands with the rear in the air , I think I had air in the back section of the cylinders , once level ,it could escape through the bleeder .
A tip for new players , when bleeding brakes on older cars with old mastercylinders and or boosters /servo , only depress the pedal 1/2 way , never go all the way to the floor , unless the booster and master is new or newish .
Old rubber diaphragms in boosters split and pushing master cylinder cups over areas in the cylinder that they don’t normally run on can cause issues .
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Putting larger brake wheel cylinders in the rear Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
It’s a good idea to change up the wheel cylinders when changing sizes of tires, or disrupting the weight bias of the car.

Example, on rail buggies. I put the small 17mm rear wheel cylinders up front because with no body work or gas tank, the front is so light that I can pick it up myself. My buggy has 33” tires in the rear, and a heavy Vanagon transmission, gas tank, and Type 4 engine in the back. I actually modified the backing plates so I could use Super Beetle 23.6mm front cylinders in the rear, even larger than the standard bug 22mm front cylinders. It was a pretty easy swap. The bolt hole for the cylinder has to be slotted due to the different mounting boss to bolt hole spacing, and it needed a shim between the cylinder and backing plate. By doing these mods, it brakes beautifully, just like a stock car. Having the standard wheel cylinder arrangement like a full bodied car is just downright dangerous in a buggy. Way to much braking up front if you don’t swap things around.

My rail buggy came with no front brakes (filled my drawers a couple of times! Shocked ). I swapped in early Bay rear brakes, I'm not sure what the cylinder diameter is. I have now added the stock link pin front brakes so it will be interesting to see what the brake balance will be like. Tires are 24" rear and 26" front. The idea of short rears is to sacrifice a bit of clearance to get lower gearing for a 1600 SP.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting larger brake wheel cylinders in the rear Reply with quote

I have to say the braking is much better with the larger front brake cylinders in the back as well. I have 22mm ATE brake cylinders on the front and the rear, with steel braided flex lines, and semi metallic shoes all around. I used syli glide brake grease on the friction points on all of the backing plates and shoes.

I will probably try to bleed one more time to make sure I got all the air out. The pedal travel is just a little more than it was before with the 17mm cylinders in the back.

Mine are all late model backing plates with the 3 contact spots and the larger groove in the cylinders.

A question is how often should wheel cylinders be replaced? I bleed/flush every two years since I know brake fluid attracts water, and use Castrol LMA fluid, but to be honest I have never paid close attention to the cylinders. They are very simple with boots on the ends then pistons and seals and a spring, but they live in a harsh environment and crap can get under the boot and start to pit the pistons and cylinder walls and effect performance.

I hate bleeding brakes!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting larger brake wheel cylinders in the rear Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:

A question is how often should wheel cylinders be replaced?

When they go bad! Very Happy

If you pull up the boot and find dampness/brake fluid there, that means the seals inside the cylinder are leaking. Time to rebuild or replace.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting larger brake wheel cylinders in the rear Reply with quote

A larger master would get the pedal back up, but so would using
using the 17mm cylinders front and rear. Or maybe you would prefer all 19mm then it would be near same as stock?
It's just leverage, you can't have it both ways.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting larger brake wheel cylinders in the rear Reply with quote

I like it the way it is with 22mm cylinders all the way around.

Mostly the pedal was due to more air in the system that came out the next morning when I jacked up the rear in the air so that the cylinders were as high as the reservoir.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Putting larger brake wheel cylinders in the rear Reply with quote

Beware that if you swop to a larger master cylinder the pedal pressure needed increases too.
I wrote a novel about the subject on another forum some years back. If it still exists I will paste to here.
Although I must admit that I have never done the 22/22 mm set up on drum brakes. We would have swopped to front discs way before that point. But I see the idea if the car does some off roading.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Putting larger brake wheel cylinders in the rear Reply with quote

Hi Torben,

Please post the link to the post you made if you can find it.

I read a post by you using 944 wheel cylinders in the back at cal-look.no.

I had a new set of front ATE 22mm wheel cylinders so I tried them in the back of the Thing to see the outcome. So far so good-the Thing has larger/heavier tires on the back and the 181 rear brake drums are so much heavier than the front too so the larger wheel cylinders seem to be helping a lot.

I am keeping my master as is-its a volume and pressure compromise.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: