Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cleaning Headliner
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssquires68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Cleaning Headliner Reply with quote

Has anyone ever tried cleaning the headliner in their bug? I have some yellowing, not a lot so I'd just like to clean. What's the best thing you've found to clean up yellowing?
Do those Mr.Clean magic erasers work on this?
TIA
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning Headliner Reply with quote

I was able to remove smoke stains (and much of smell) from my old Square's headliner with windex on a cloth and repeated wiping. That was the cause of much of the yellowing, obvious because it was strongest near the driver's window... he smoked with the window cracked.

For yellowing, you might try hydrogen peroxide, though I've never done this on a headliner, and it may take off the printed dots. Hard to keep it wet long enough to work, too.

How are your windows and rubber? Definitely coordinate window seal replacement with headliner replacement; they are best done together. These small improvements may hold you until you replace it.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning Headliner Reply with quote

I used Magic Erasure and it took some of it off. But not all.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning Headliner Reply with quote

Yellowing may be aging of the material or the old glue coming through as a stain and it won't come out. But if it's dirt, on my perforated vinyl materials, I used Dow Bathroom Cleaner (the "scrubbing bubbles" stuff). Just a light coat, leave it for a minute, watch the dirt pull into the foam and then remove with a large damp (not wet) sponge. Wiped immediately with dry terry towel. Worked like a charm!

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning Headliner Reply with quote

magic eraser takes a bit of pressure rubbing to work so might stretch the material. the foam cleaner souns good...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
cricketseed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning Headliner Reply with quote

Keep in mind that those magic erasers are basically microabrasive sandpaper:

https://www.wired.com/2015/09/whats-inside-mr-clean-magic-eraser/

I would probably try a different approach, like one of the others suggested, first.
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning Headliner Reply with quote

Consider vinyl paint, some of that stain is from moisture staining the backside of
the headliner. I've had success on two of my beetles with vinyl paint, some of the holes get covered because they are not complete perforations. I works nice
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NavyGeneral Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning Headliner Reply with quote

Volkswagen had a system or procedures to enhance and recondition used cars taken in on trade, both Volkswagen and Domestic models. They did an in depth rehab, up to and including either painting or dying the headliners, carpets, seats etc. This procedure carried over to painting the inside of the bumpers as well as rusted headlight apparatus. Vehicles on the Volkswagen used car lots were aesthetically and cosmetically very nice. Several images here from the Volkswagens Reconditioning manual.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning Headliner Reply with quote

Howdy ...

Years ago I used tons of elbow grease & that cheap cleaner called Totally Awesome on my off white seats.

After wiping with a cloth, I stood up to take a call but had to steady myself - skateboard knees & getting older.
I stood there with the rag in my hand on the door opening.

Anywho - that area of the headliner was very clean. So clean I did the whole thing the next weekend with very good results.
It was diluted & I rinsed with damp cloth afterward cuz it WILL take tire marks off cement.

Maybe some help ... stay safe

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning Headliner Reply with quote

...but the handbook said to "explode the car" boss!

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning Headliner Reply with quote

FWIW, I once saw a trashy stained headliner which was made quite presentable by a spray can application of " Kilz" primer. Won't fix tears and holes, but makes for a nice clean fresh cover.
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning Headliner Reply with quote

Do what pwmcguire said, it's the only thing that works, I've tried them all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: