Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear main seal and what else?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Rear main seal and what else? Reply with quote

'90 Westy w/ GW 2.2L motor w/ GW EMS injection

The rear main seal is a slow leaker, losing just enough oil to be annoying.

We're planning a long trip in the fall, and I've decided now is the time to sort out the darn seal.

I'm going to have to job done by a shop I trust, not a shade tree job.

First, what has to get out of the way to get to the seal? Pull the motor or trans axle?

I strikes me that some other items can be cleaned at the same time. I'm thinking of the various known vulnerable pieces. IIRC the fuel delivery plumbing is in that category. What other items are on that list?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear main seal and what else? Reply with quote

I would plan on leaving the engine installed and pulling the transmission.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear main seal and what else? Reply with quote

Works for me. Probably a good time to check the CV's.

FWIW, we were stuck with a learning experience with swapping the transaxle. The PO replaced it with a GW unit. Aside from forgetting the grounding strap, most of the job went well. The big gotcha was not getting the rear part of the shifter shaft out of the way.

The problem is it's too easy to bend the shaft, which makes a mess of where the shifter sits in the cabin, and its overall action. Point learned: keep the shaft out of the way, and don't bend it.

We were stuck with the job of diagnosing, and replacing the shaft. Grrr...
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear main seal and what else? Reply with quote

You can remove the transaxle by disconnecting only the inner CV's, but it is handy to have them completely out of the way and yes, nothing wrong with cleaning, inspecting and repacking with new grease at the same time. Having a way to support the flywheel end of the engine to save strain on the mounts etc is helpful.

It's so easy to remove the shifter, but so often is forgotten. Used to see the same problem when folks were pulling their bus engines.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear main seal and what else? Reply with quote

You're making me feel better and better. :)

Scott and his crew are pretty good about "little details" like supporting the motor.

Barring surprises (brave statement), this looks like a one day project. Yes? No?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear main seal and what else? Reply with quote

aaaand remember that "front is front" and we're talking the FRONT seal!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com

Last edited by DanHoug on Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:49 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear main seal and what else? Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations.

Yep, manual, four speed (there are some five speeds, no?).

SpeedSleeve?

Yeah, my inclination was to call the seal the front seal, too, but the guy that diagnosed the problem went for "real". Thom's also a Westy owner, as well as wizard mechanic.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear main seal and what else? Reply with quote

Again, it was already mentioned, install the SABO seal, accept no substitutes.

You will need to polish up the flywheel where it rides on the seal.
10c (Intrepid Overland is it? ) has an excellent write up about doing the task.

Don't not do it!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear main seal and what else? Reply with quote

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com

Last edited by DanHoug on Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear main seal and what else? Reply with quote

The Reinz and Elring main seals have a Viton sealing surface. They are what I use. Make sure that whoever replaces the seal knows about the endfloat shims under the seal.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear main seal and what else? Reply with quote

About the shims, I don't have my Bentley here, are they listed or described there?
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear main seal and what else? Reply with quote

Also, isn't there some plastic (well, not metal) fuel plumbing that needs to be replaced. I'm guessing it runs around the front top of the engine compartment.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear main seal and what else? Reply with quote

hardway wrote:
The Reinz and Elring main seals have a Viton sealing surface. They are what I use. Make sure that whoever replaces the seal knows about the endfloat shims under the seal.

These are the brands that come in the rebuild kits.......
Step 1 - rip open the gasket package
Step 2 - toss the seals into trash.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear main seal and what else? Reply with quote

Job complete. No leaks. Yet. :)
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rear main seal and what else? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
These are the brands that come in the rebuild kits.......
Step 1 - rip open the gasket package
Step 2 - toss the seals into trash.

Dave

I did not know this. I used whatever was in the rebuild kit when I did all the exterior seals when I put the 1.9 back in the Syncro. Only 4k miles (which is also surprising it's made it 4k miles) and I can see oil mist forming next to the crank pulley seal. Irritating.
tuanis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rear main seal and what else? Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
Job complete. No leaks. Yet. Smile

How long did it end up taking you? Single day? Any big surprises?
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear main seal and what else? Reply with quote

Surprised? You bet!

First, I let Motorcar Makeovers, my bespoke repair guys, do the job. Doing the seal is easy, pulling the transaxle is past my resources.

The surprise was the flywheel was a disaster. It was dished, not flat. The area of best clutch contact was a band, the edge, 3/4 to 1 inch wide!!! There were signs of contact further in. A band, about 2 inches wide, at the inner part of the flywheel was untouched. WTF!?!

I bought a replacement from Van Cafe, and had it sent overnight. I'd planned to replace the clutch "just 'cause now's as good a time as any". Replacing the clutch became "got no choice about this".I

Doing the job of pull the TS, pulling the flywheel, replace the seal was 4-6 hours (guessing). Replacing the flywheel was the same as re-installing the old flywheel. The clutch probably added an hour. Call it a "day and bit" ignoring waiting for UPS.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: