Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can't open drivers door on 1959 ragtop beetle.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FNCuban
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Can't open drivers door on 1959 ragtop beetle. Reply with quote

OK, looks like the door lock mechanism failed. How do I get the door open so I can remove and replace it? Have the door panel off and the interior lever is still connected and operates the door lock mechanism. The outside door handle operates the door lock mechanism and I even slipped a screwdriver between the post and door handle lever to get more post travel .... nothing.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't open drivers door on 1959 ragtop beetle. Reply with quote

There's a chance the door latch may be jammed part way between open and latched. I'd try bumping the door shut somewhat forcefully then pushing it inward while operating the handle to see if that frees it up.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't open drivers door on 1959 ragtop beetle. Reply with quote

Pm me an email address, I can send copy of door lock info from '59 shop manual.
I'd start by looking into the other side door handle setup and compare. The difference is the lock on driver side
FNCuban
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't open drivers door on 1959 ragtop beetle. Reply with quote

Got the door open!!!!

I has able to get a small (reading glasses) screwdriver between the door and the striker plate to push up on the latch. The latch was actually broken and pushed up into the door lock mechanism. The strike plate had a bit of wear indicating that the latch may not have been moving freely for a while.

My next step was probably a sawzaw as I could get a blade through the door gap. Don't know if I could have taken the door hinge pins out as well. Anyone else have to resort to these last two options?

Attached pics of broken latch.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: