Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Searching for Window(s)-Need some help
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindowCape
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Searching for Window(s)-Need some help Reply with quote

Hello. I'm building a teardrop trailer where there's a few windows that seem like they might be similar specs to either a recent or older VW Beetle... just not sure. I'm hoping someone on this forum might be able to offer some experience or point me in the right direction..... I'm looking for 2 windows. 1) a quarter window for use in the trailer doors and 2) for a large front window that might work from a rear window from either a bug or van.
this window is the tough one.... finding one that's curved only in one direction, the X axis. I've attached some CAD images which hopefully will help. I appreciate any help, suggestions or otherwise. If needed I can answer any questions, if that would be of help. The dimension I've provided are not written in stone....
Thank you very much.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for Window(s)-Need some help Reply with quote

Can't help with the sides, but the leading front window probably should be laminated safety glass. You don't want that stray rock from your tires kicking up and shattering a tempered panel. If you don't mind replacing it from time to time, 3/8" polycarbonate would be an ideal option as it will bend to whatever curve you need.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for Window(s)-Need some help Reply with quote

Most (if not all) teardrop trailers I have seen have the taller rounded portion facing front. I presume there is an aerodynamic reason for this.
WindowCape
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for Window(s)-Need some help Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Regarding the larger front window, as a fall back position I'll use lexan. I'd rather use safety glass. After looking at many vehicles finding the right match is difficult, finding a window that curves only along the X axis. The closest I've seen are maybe on some VWs. Thus my question.... if anyone knows of a bug (rear) window that fits this description.

A follow up question: is there a resource that offers actual window sizes, rather than just models. for instance if I wanted to see the size of a quarter glass for a specific bug? That would be a great help.

Regarding the trailer shape, it's referred to as a reverse teardrop.

Thanks again for any help.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for Window(s)-Need some help Reply with quote

Are your glass dimensions fixed?

If not, alternatives with a VW flair might include fastback rear windows of Type 3 & 4 cars. They differed from each other but were identical over all years.

Neither is flat, and may have curves in both axes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: