Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

When will i pollute the ground with oil a and bits of con rod?
On break in
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
3rd start up
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
50 miles down the road
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
3k miles down the road
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
15k miles down the road
27%
 27%  [ 16 ]
50k miles down the road
48%
 48%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 58

brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

What is the VHT paint # ? I like the blueish silver color.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

brian rogers wrote:
What is the VHT paint # ? I like the blueish silver color.

Hi. Unfortunately, I already threw it out. It was the up to 600 degree version. Not good enough for exhaust. It was just what I had.

Also, if you use that line of vht. You need to remove ALL surface rust. Or it will come back after a rain like mine.

Sorry
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

ok, who makes a good set of stock style valve adjusters? Is empi really my only choice? I got the body back on the car and have nearly wrapped up the brakes, and would like to take it for a spin(like thats possible with a stock 1600 Laughing ) once restore the rims ive got for it(baja tires eat into the rear fenders). right now i dont have the time to mess with the elephant feet unfortunately.

thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

edit- ok, it looks like i lucked out and found some NOS german adjusters Dancing
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

It might surprise you when you go for a spin. After all, that trans was designed for a 40hp engine and with 65hp and no glass, you should zoom a bit Laughing

Edit: you don’t need fenders Very Happy
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Laughing 65hp? maybe at sea level on a nice cool humid day and some nitro methane fuel Wink

id say more like 49whp Smile

i would remove the fenders... but the car looks tragically incomplete without em.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Laughing 65hp? maybe at sea level on a nice cool humid day and some nitro methane fuel Wink

id say more like 49whp Smile

i would remove the fenders... but the car looks tragically incomplete without em.

I was talking engine brake hp. My Squareback has 65bhp and it zooms good. And with lower gearing zoom zoom. You can go a lot faster if you don’t have stuff on a roof rack even faster with no roof rack Laughing on the flats I topped out floored at 60 mph with a fully loaded rack and 76mph with no rack. 40HP!!! Very Happy With 65hp I haven’t seen it’s top speed yet as it has gone 90 and it was still accelerating that was in a 500lb fatter Squareback too
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

I'll see how fast I can top out. There's two freshly paved roads right outside my house Very Happy

Yum. They be on the way. They German too. So no Brazilian or empi garbage.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Send me those elephant feet if you don't want them!

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Send me those elephant feet if you don't want them!

I would, but they're going on the 1385. That is unless I find some 1.25 rockers with adjusters already on them. Which I did, but the seller never got back Crying or Very sad actually, they were the better kind with the adjusters on the push rod end. NOS bug pack Crying or Very sad
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Ayo WTF Shocked

First off, a rocker shaft bolt straight up decided to loosen. How?? It was torqued to spec. That explains the "knock" coming from that cylinder.

An even bigger WTF is this Shocked Question

These rings were absolutely 100% installed right side up. How on gods green earth did they rotate dead straight down?

The ring gaps were on the tight side too which doesn't make sense.

Those cylinders look like shit. Oh well. I removed them. Cleaned them. Re orientated the rings, and re installed. If it doesn't smoke ill be very surprised.

The good news is... bottom end is SOLID. End play good. No play i can feel in rods or wrist pins. Cam looks great. Lifters as well.

I have a spare non rotted dp head ill clean and throw new valves in. Should run better after all this.

But I am curious on how the rings moved position. They feel real spongy.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Looks like #4 was a dead hole. I can't recall seeing a piston that clean after running for a time.

Are the bottom of the #3,4 cylinders, gas washed?
I ask because of the staining where you say the rings reoriented.

If the rings are spongy feeling. Perhaps you overheated the engine at some point.
But how is that possible, when the car, is not driven much? <<<I'm speculating here.

And another question. What's up with the spooge on the top of the #4 intake valve spring? Also the oil looks like it has water in it, under the #3 valve springs.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

They could be gas washed. I had a fuel pressure issue and it was running pig rich.

However, there was a pool of oil sitting at the bottom of the cylinder so I don't think thats it.

The number 3 cylinder is the one with the rotted head chamber. I don't think the valves were sealing. Like at all. The engine probably has 6 hours if run time. So not very much.

The rings felt spongy upon initial install. The cylinders are AA but the pistons? Idk. Not aa.

Yeah water keeps finding its way into the oil. Idk how. Very annoying.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Rings rotate when the engine runs. Look like one of you pistons is installed backwards, both part numbers are closer to middle. They both should be to the front or both to the back of the hole
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

One of those 2 pistons is oriented the wrong way... If you can see the "arrow" imprint which is usually found on the top of stock-type pistons, the arrow is supposed to point to the flywheel on all 4 pistons. If no arrow, then likely the writing should point to the FW- so that #3 was installed the wrong way?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Yeah no arrow or dots on these but good catch.

Yes I remember now. The later model engines use offset pistons.

Although... both cylinders have the same issue.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Stock rods were offset, requiring the offset wrist pins. Early and late engines not just later. If no arrows, some pistons have a dot on the pin boss or a casting bump of some kind. Pistons all need to point the same way, the cylinders don't matter except they only fit with the flats facing each other
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

thanks for the info. lesson learned. dont rush just because you have a deadline. i thought 40hp had zero offset rods but i could be wrong.

the game plan then is drain the oil, tear down to a short block. clean up pistons and the other two cylinders. install pistons correctly. port heads and manifold. install with new valves. rebuild carb. see if she smokes.

if she does then... hone cylinders and try new rings? preferably not swiss cheesium rings lol.

im am interested in what kind of marking is going on with the cylinders tho. could oil cause those wash marks? it doesnt look scored to me. rather polished.

also note: that clean pistons combustion chamber is just as sooty as the others. so im confused.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

If the pistons have a direction....it is because the pin may be offset closer to one skirt of the piston.
if the pin IS exactly in the center of the piston, then they can go either way.

IMo the easiest way to tell, is set the piston skirt up on a table and measure with calipers from the far side of the pin to out side of skirt, both ways, and see if it is the same or not.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

modok wrote:
If the pistons have a direction....it is because the pin may be offset closer to one skirt of the piston.
if the pin IS exactly in the center of the piston, then they can go either way.

IMo the easiest way to tell, is set the piston skirt up on a table and measure with calipers from the far side of the pin to out side of skirt, both ways, and see if it is the same or not.

alright will do. thanks a ton. while im meassuring i may as well balance them.

im gonna buy new rings and a hone. anything wrong with nos cast grant rings?

also, what hone sould i be buying in this situation?

thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

The #1 choice of average joe would be a 240 or 320 grit silicone carbide dingleberry hone.
Dingleberry hones are made by "Brush Research" and "Osborne".

Some people love these things, and some hate them.
Personally, I don' like them, I don't use them, but many do.

I would lean more toward using a 180-220 grit "three stone" glaze breaker type hone to rough them up, and then wrap 400 grit wet/dry paper around it and do a handful of strokes with that for a finer finish. That's really old school method, but, still works.
OR maybe use a "ultra finish" plateau brush if you want to get more fancy instead of the wet/dry sandpaper trick, OR MAYBE fine scotch-brite instead of sandpaper.
But that WILL take a bit more experimentation and practice to get right. You may need a spare cylinder to torture to get it tuned-in.

Depends HOW DEEP you want to get into honing.
Average joe gets the job done too, so whatever, I'm not offended in any case.

Looks like there was some rust in the cylinders, but not really enough to worry about. looks "Etched" rather than rust, but it's the same thing.

Grant's regular cast rings are very good IMO, I have had zero problems with them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: