Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

When will i pollute the ground with oil a and bits of con rod?
On break in
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
3rd start up
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
50 miles down the road
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
3k miles down the road
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
15k miles down the road
27%
 27%  [ 16 ]
50k miles down the road
48%
 48%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 58

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

10 degrees?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

10 degrees question mark? Laughing thanks for getting me in the ball park tho. Or maybe your spot on. Idk.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

I measured my plate with my phone and I get 8 degrees. To do it correctly you need a coring drill bit. Gene berg has them part number gb712.
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

The angle is 9.5° , iirc.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Ah yes. I dont know much about the larger polys that came in the mopar cars. But like you said many if the heads are a bolt on. I used to live near you. Shalamar is near jacksonville right? I live in mayakka city near Bradington and Arcadia.[/quote]
shalimar is about 8 hours from jax..... just drop by sometime...I used to race in bradenton every year for the div 2 nhra season opener.,it gets fucking cold there.... there are a few different mopars that has soild cams.the 273 was also solid,340 ta had adjustable rockers, but were spicific to those heads as they were off set, but still can be used if you remachine the heads to move the intake pushrods over about 3/8" but the 273,thats where you get good adjustable rockers for building the small blocks on a budget when you cant afford roller rockers. they were extreamly strong. the ta heads & rockers were predesessors to the W2 race heads. enough about mopars, this is a vw site and I will get in the deleated jail house again...
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

9.5 was the correct number. I tried pressing then out on a junk head but the shape of the punch I was using only shattered the guide. So I went back to the tap and washer method.

It was all working well until... another guide boss cracked. Ughhh. So dumb. It was comming out too.

So I'm just gonna have to deal with the rotted head with 3 exhaust studs for now. If I can get the port flange to seal I will be happy enough.

The cracked guide boss isnt even one I tried removing the guide from. All I did was drill and tap that one.

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Ok this is annoying as hell. So the right side of the engine went together great. Set rocker side play and adjusted the valves. All good. The left side, I cant get one of the rockers to not be tight once the rocker assembly is tightened. At first it was two but now it's the center left rocker shown in the pictures. It has zero play and I cant adjust it. I even removed the washers to see if it was binding or something but nope. I also checked to see if the lifters were sticking. Nope.

I took it a step further and even ground the ends of the two rockers down a tad. Still no difference.

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Link

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Ok well I decided to shim rockers. Geometry is still good. Now it's not binding. I guess it was just the rocker arm. It had a different part number so it must of been the forging was slightly bigger.

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
9.5 was the correct number. I tried pressing then out on a junk head but the shape of the punch I was using only shattered the guide. So I went back to the tap and washer method.

It was all working well until... another guide boss cracked. Ughhh. So dumb. It was comming out too.

So I'm just gonna have to deal with the rotted head with 3 exhaust studs for now. If I can get the port flange to seal I will be happy enough.

The cracked guide boss isnt even one I tried removing the guide from. All I did was drill and tap that one.

.......................................................................................................................hi over the years i have installed many valve guides in vw heads ,. the best way i found that works best. i put the new guides in a freezer for 30 mins. be for i install the guides in the head . i use a hand wire brush in the valve guide hole on the head to clean the valve guide hole . then i use a brush that is soaked in oil .i run the brush up and down in the valve guide hole. i then get one of the new valve guides from the freezer and drive the new valve guide into the valve guide hole on the head . it has worked for me for many years to remove the old guides i use a drill bit that is made to drill out the old brass guides. i dont drill all the way down the old guide. i then use a punch and hammer. to knock out the old guide . put the punch inside the old guide to hammer out the old guide works great ever time i think CB and EMPI and berg. sell this drill bit spencerfvee

Last edited by spencerfvee on Sun May 16, 2021 3:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Are all the pushrods the same length?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Pushrods all the same length? Valve height the same?

Are you sure you were at #3 TDC?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Pushrods all the same length? Valve height the same?

Are you sure you were at #3 TDC?

Yup yup and yup. Checked valve height with a straight edge. Swapped push rods. I think it was the forging on that one rocker. All is good now tho.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
................................hi over the years i have installed many valve guides in vw heads ,. the best way i found that works best. i put the new guides in a freezer for 30 mins. be for i install the guides in the head . i use a hand wire brush in the valve guide hole on the head to clean the valve guide hole . then i use a brush that is soaked in oil .i run the brush up and down in the valve guide hole. i then get one of the new valve guides from the freezer and drive the new valve guide into the valve guide hole on the head . it has worked for me for many years to remove the old guides i use a drill bit that is made to drill out the old brass guides. i dont drill all the way down the old guide. i then use a punch and hammer. to knock out the old guide . put the punch inside the old guide to hammer out the old guide works great ever time i think CB and EMPI and berg. sell this drill bit spencerfvee

Thanks for the advice. The reason I didnt remove the guides using the hammer trick was because I had somebody loose their mind when I told them I tried that before. Which i didnt understand why. Well now I know. Thanks

I got most the tins bolted on. I'm nearly there and ready to start it up. I need to fix my clutch cable tho. It's new, however it makes a weird slipping sound and motion half way through its travel and it doesn't feel right. I'm debating on painting the exhaust. It doesn't have any rot so it may be worth making pretty.

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

wtf are you doing to that guide??you have machines ...whats with that rocker grinding? mill it, and why was the rocker binding.slow down and do it right. if you put a cam in it and try to use the oe style pushrods they can also bind in the rocker....
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

The only operatible machine is the lathe. Which I don't think will do much good Smile although I am super close to having the Induma running again.

The engine is completely stock other than the full flow and that high quality empi pulley. And the rev limiter. None of which affect valvetrain.

I just got the thing filled up with oil and primed. Of course there's one oil leak where the fitting isn't being use how it should be. Now I'm just working on getting the carb and exhaust bolted on. Then it all comes down to wiring
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

So I've completed my sketchy ass temporary wiring. We have spark. Next thing on the list is to static time the engine.

I've got a monster size oil leak from that fitting I'm gonna have to address before I run it. I may teflon tape it for now until I get a chance to run my the parts store.

The carb I rebuilt a while ago. Its teeny tiny. But it's fine for what I'm doing.

As you can see this thing is UGLY but I didnt really want to paint the tins for a beater engine. Plus it's not like I'm gonna be using this engine for very long.

See my high quality vw approved oil Laughing it was like 8 bucks at tractor supply. It's all I have for break in oil.

And yes I know I'm missing tons right now. Yes I install them.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

If you use Teflon tape on the oil pressure sensor, it may not work. It needs to be grounded.

Why is it leaking so bad? Not right enough? Crack?

It's always a bit scary tightening that up. Since it's a tapered thread, there is a fine line between tight enough, and cracking the case.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Yeah I knew people were gonna get confused by that picture. The preassure sensor isnt leaking. It's the return line at the engine side. The fittings aren't compatible. I need to buy the correct AN adapter.

Sorry for the confusion
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Quote:
Swapped push rods. I think it was the forging on that one rocker. All is good now tho.
Probably too late now that you mention that "all is good"", but in my experience when I installed solid rocker shaft kits and the shims that go between the rocker arms and the rocker blocks, there is a very small amount of play if you push the rocker shaft laterally. This is after setting the rockers and spacers to reduce the side clearance as close to 0.005". I mark the center spacer tube with a touch-up paint stick or paint pencil with either "R" or "L" and an arrow which indicates in which direction to push the shaft to create that freeplay. If you tighten the rocker assembly and find that any of the rockers are tight, then just loosen the 2 fastening nuts on the rocker blocks and push the shaft laterally to create that tiny free clearance. Once you have achieved that so the rocker arms rotate freely, tighten the 2 rocker block nuts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: