Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

When will i pollute the ground with oil a and bits of con rod?
On break in
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
3rd start up
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
50 miles down the road
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
3k miles down the road
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
15k miles down the road
27%
 27%  [ 16 ]
50k miles down the road
48%
 48%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 58

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
Swapped push rods. I think it was the forging on that one rocker. All is good now tho.
Probably too late now that you mention that "all is good"", but in my experience when I installed solid rocker shaft kits and the shims that go between the rocker arms and the rocker blocks, there is a very small amount of play if you push the rocker shaft laterally. This is after setting the rockers and spacers to reduce the side clearance as close to 0.005". I mark the center spacer tube with a touch-up paint stick or paint pencil with either "R" or "L" and an arrow which indicates in which direction to push the shaft to create that freeplay. If you tighten the rocker assembly and find that any of the rockers are tight, then just loosen the 2 fastening nuts on the rocker blocks and push the shaft laterally to create that tiny free clearance. Once you have achieved that so the rocker arms rotate freely, tighten the 2 rocker block nuts.

hi. i did somewhat notice what your talking about although i didnt think about the last part you mentioned. one of the testings i did was i removed the push rods and fastened the shaft assembly. none of the rockers were binding which meant the bolts and washers on the outer ends were too tight.

the only other idea i have relating to the issue is maybe the blocks that fasten the assembly down have been shaved or are shorter than stock. but i think the mix match rockers is more likely. idk for sure tho.

thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

so today i made basically no progress aside from getting the exhaust bolted up and rigging a remove starter button. i was gonna run it today but ran into two issues.

1, it was raining.

2, my wiring isnt right.

so, heres my issue. the smaller positive lead that comes from the better terminal causes my engine not the spark when i have it wired to the B+ terminal on the regulator even tho the diagram tells me thats where it should be.

however, when i hook the positive lead to the positive side of the coil, the engine does produce spark. HOWever, this causes the idle valve and choke element to get nice and toasty. both of which are connected to the positive side of the coil.

so what am i missing? i have the green wire from the dizzy hooked up to the negative side of the coil. i have all 3 generator leads connected to the voltage regulator. i have ground. i have the main positive lead going to the starter.

help would be great. the electrical realm isnt something im profitiant in. i think i spelt that wrong.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Forget hooking up gen/reg. Just wire starter to battery and a hot lead to coil positive (still need jumper to idle jet and choke)
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
Forget hooking up gen/reg. Just wire starter to battery and a hot lead to coil positive (still need jumper to idle jet and choke)

Yeah that sounds like a better idea. Thanks

Today so far I've gotten the chassis out of the basement so I can tidy up a few last small things and start it up. You can see how dirty my chassis is from debri landing on it but oh well. I need to touch up a few scratches anyhow.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, does anyone happen to know what the thread size is for the oil filler neck?

Thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

I picked up the starter today. Works great! Thanks for the suggestion.

As expected, it started right up. But with 4 issues. 1 of which has been solved.

1. It was smoking, but the control ring seated after the second run. I remember one of them being kinda weird sitting in the groove. Engine doesnt smoke at all now thankfully.

2. I have a giant exhaust leak as expected.

So I will be on the look out for a new head. And I really hate the aftermarket muffler so I'm probably just gonna buy a good used merge header and j tubes.

3. Out of all the places it could be leaking oil... its leaking out of the oil filter lip. Wtf? Its tight so maybe I got a faulty seal? Idk.

4. I need to re adjust the rockers. I specs i found for side play are obviously way too large.

Other than that now i just need to fix the above problems, get it tuned properly, not just by feel lol, and make it not look like an incomplete turd Laughing

The first video is me starting it for the very first time, the second video is the second ir third time starting it. Sounds way out of tune but at least it runs. Idk even knowing it has oil preassure yet. A sender unit is in the list.

Right now I have a "german" 009, and a h31/30. I've heard it's an ok set up.

Question- which vacume nipples should be plugged? Where can I find a diagram?

Thanks

Link

https://youtube.com/shorts/uLqYb7mbJk4?feature=share
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

So I got the engine tuned, timed, and idling. I'm kinda surprised at how quick the throttle response is.

So now that I know it's a good runner, I'm taking it back down to a long block so I can replace the one head, adjust the rocker assemblies and valves, change the oil, paint the tins, and figure out the correct length oil lines. I figured out where I want the filter to go. I'm putting it in the coil location and then relocating the coil to the other side

I also have a set of elephant adjusters I was gonna use for the 1385 but figured I'd just buy another set. These ones are cb adjusters to replace the current ones.

Whoever gets this engine is gonna be set lol.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

All the nipples should be plugged if you are running the 009. Why not step stud or thread insert the head? Way easier than changing the head. On that stud there is sometimes room to put a nut behind the flange and a longer stud
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
All the nipples should be plugged if you are running the 009. Why not step stud or thread insert the head? Way easier than changing the head. On that stud there is sometimes room to put a nut behind the flange and a longer stud

thats wht i figured Wink i ended up plugging all the vacume ports.

i drilled the hole oversize but the nut idea may work. thanks!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Well what do you know. I was actually able to grind a bolt down and stuff it behind the exhaust flange. Thanks for the idea Teeroy!

Today, I found a stud, modified the nut, and made the exhaust purdy.

I straightened the lip out. Heres what I'd looked like before.

Removed the exchangers because I dont need or want them.

I thought it was an aftermarket muffler but it turns out it's actually german.

Btw, who makes stock size j tubes that aren't trash?

Thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Got some more tons prepped and painted. Bolted down the exhaust. Started assembly.

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

just because it says germany dont mean it's og....just that it might of come from germany...befor or after manufacture...or not. lotsa sneeky places that have things stamped or claim 1 thing but in reality it may be another....but your probably good to go with that one.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Original or not. It fits and fits well. Which is the good part Smile
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

You DO have a wavy lockwasher under each of the muffler flange nuts, don't you?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
You DO have a wavy lockwasher under each of the muffler flange nuts, don't you?

Shocked . Nope. everyother car ive removed headers from never had lock or wavy washers. or lock nuts. So i just assumed. I will fx it tho. thanks

Also, the cip1 hardware kit for the exhaust is GARbage. 3/4 of the nuts no joke self detonated their own threads at low torque. It was pitiful. really Laughing

so i popped some german higher grade m8 x 1.25 nuts and they are strong as can be. just thought id share.

but i do have me some wavy washers on the intake studs ov course Wink
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Wow. This makes 0 cents. Engine only wants to back fire out of the carb. I got it to run once on some dumb ass combination 180 degrees out. And it ran like crap that way.

Firing order is correct.

Timing is currently back to how I had it.

I've replaced the coil, condenser, rotor, cap. And still no change. Sa.e thing.

I even static timed the thing like 5 times making sure I wasnt crazy

I also checked valve lash and that hasnt changed.

Fuel delivery is still good.

This thing started up on a dime last time I had it running which was like 4 days ago.

All I've done mechanically sense then was fix my vacume leaks and my exhaust leak.

This is just embarrassing Embarassed Embarassed

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Yup. It was something stupid. Firing order was off. I went by ild pictures. Which makes no sense because I set the order per how vw wants it. And my dizzy isnt backwards. Runs better than before now.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

I checked a few photos of the 009 I have on my Ghia's 1600. The distributor body is clocked so that the condenser is pointing to the left; if viewed from above it'd be at the "9:00" position. Your condenser is now at the "6:00" position... but you had it at the "9:00" position several photos up, seen here:

Have you checked where your distrib. drive gear lateral slot is positioned when cylinder #1 is at its TDC position? If you lift up the distrib and view the drive gear, the center slot is milled off-center. The smaller crescent portion needs to be pointing rearward like here (Danwvw gallery). Install the distrib so that the tang at the driveshaft fully engages into the slot. Rotate the distrib. body so the rotor points to the small notch on the edge of the distrib. body. Fully push the distrib. down. Snap on the cap so that the #1 plug cable is in the terminal above that notch. But you probably know all this.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

it dont matter where the condensor is aimed at as long as its timed right with the right firing order...the dist dont know witch is #1 nor does the cap. thats up 2u to get right. it's when you have the vac canaster on there that you really need to get the gears right or somethen may not fit... even when rotating the wires... on some...but normaly you can. as for the ex wavy washers...I like them and use the brass nuts .Ive never had any issue with them I also use the copper gadgets.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

I agree, Mark. I should've mentioned with my observation of the distrib. body that the body itself appeared to be 1/4 turn CCW from previously but the cap and wire orientation remained unchanged. What soup can do easily is to simply reindex his plug wires 1/4 CCW in the cap: Pull up the wire going to #1 and put in the #4 wire. Go around the cap CCW similarly per the firing order.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: The 1600 "grenade", Placing bets Reply with quote

Thanks for refreshing my memory Rome. When I installed the dizzy I didnt really mind which way it was facing so I stuck it in so that the numbers were facing the front of the engine. I think the confusion here was that the old photo you posted, i think I hadent timed it yet. Thanks for the help tho.

So I've got another "issue". I re shimmed the rockers which went well, but these epehant feet are needing ALOT of shimming. I've got 3 shims per side on there and I think each are 40 thousands or 1mm. Or 3mm in my case. And I still can get any lash.

I've got a stock cam, lifters, push rods, rockers. Should it take this much shimming? Yes, the adjusters are loosened all the way.

On the positive side, it looks like CB pre soaked the adjusters which is nice.

Is it normal to have to be forced to clearance the rocker ends even in a stock application for the elephant feet?

Thanks

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: