Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NEED HELP, oil relief piston/tapped oil passages problems!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLUX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: NEED HELP, oil relief piston/tapped oil passages problems! Reply with quote

So, long story short. Rebuilding this AE code case for my beetle/bus, had to clean out all the oil passages and needed to remove the galley plugs. Had a lot of stuff packed in the oil passages from outside storage. Removed the plug on the rear of the engine (crank pulley location) bellow the normal location for the full flow return. This hole goes right into the oil cooler relief piston bore. When I removed the plug I found something inside that is magnetic. This was pretty baffling as the piston was already removed and I can see light from the other end. It looks as though a oil control piston was drilled out then wedged all the way at the top of the bore. I don't know what to make of this. Is this just something that was previously over looked? is this some kind of modification that I've never heard of?? My main question is how to remove it. I've already tried tapping it and using a slid hammer with no luck. first photo is looking up at the hollowed out piston, second photo is with galley plug removed and partial tapped hole leading to the steel piston. Thanks for any and ALL help!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: NEED HELP, oil relief piston/tapped oil passages problems! Reply with quote

Is it maybe a repair sleeve for a previously worn out relief bore? I think RIMCO was doing this repair to cases back in the day.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
FLUX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: NEED HELP, oil relief piston/tapped oil passages problems! Reply with quote

I was thinking that, but it’s the same size as the piston so it hits it. Also it’s blocking the main oil passage. I should be able to see straight down the oil passage with that galley plug removed.
FLUX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: NEED HELP, oil relief piston/tapped oil passages problems! Reply with quote

So I was finally able to remove the piston. It was definitely a piston that someone had drilled through. I was able to tap it with a 1/2" by 13 tap and thread a rod from homedepot into the piston, then with washers and a nut pull it out. I would've never found this if I didn't pull the galley plug for cleaning.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: NEED HELP, oil relief piston/tapped oil passages problems! Reply with quote

Got a picture of what you pulled out? Really curious!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: NEED HELP, oil relief piston/tapped oil passages problems! Reply with quote

FLUX wrote:
So I was finally able to remove the piston. It was definitely a piston that someone had drilled through. I was able to tap it with a 1/2" by 13 tap and thread a rod from homedepot into the piston, then with washers and a nut pull it out. I would've never found this if I didn't pull the galley plug for cleaning.

Great !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
FLUX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: NEED HELP, oil relief piston/tapped oil passages problems! Reply with quote

Here it is. I honestly don't know for sure what it is. Part of me wants to say its a relief piston that was drilled through, another part of me wants to say it's some kind of crazy modification. The only thing is that this engine was basically stock, with no full flow and all the galley plugs installed. It was a 1641, but I'm returning it to stock displacement as it's for a budget build. This would kinda make sense to why the cam bearings and main bearings were very shot though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: