Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

Got my replacement windshield installed by a small local place that was great to work with. Also got to hang out in a grassy spot, under a tree using their picnic table.
The band didnít seem too bad as I drove it home. I think Iíd find it more bothersome in places with big vistas, such as going to the sun road in Glacier.

Hard to photograph, it extends down to about 3/4 of the rear view mirror.
Actually, if this was limited to even with top of the rear view mirror, Iíd might have selected it on purpose. Actually more noticeable in these pictures, than in real life.

My main problem is that I was hoping to pad my seat a bit more to change my leg to accelerator angle in hopes of lessening knee problems. Now, Iíll look into cruise control.

Well, onto putting my interior back in on Sat. and packing for a trip, departing Sun afternoon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

the problem I have with the original (or old seals still in good shape) is that they bleed black on every wash and with a white van, it is very noticeable.
I am in the process of replacing all my window seals and my windshield. I have a mixture of new seals from various vendors - bus depot, gowesty - all with different origins and manufacturer. I am going to try to keep straight which seals fit best. I have a feeling some of the seals from Gowesty are of lower quality and from an unknown manufacturer....but we will see.

I wrapped all my windows with the new seals and they have just been sitting for a few months taking shape before they go in. I don't know if that matters, but I don't have a choice so I thought that would be better than leaving them boxed up in some twisted form.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

nmerrill wrote:
Since we're talking about them here - Do Folks always replace the seals?
I've got all the windows out and every seal I removed appeared in great shape. No cracks or tears while removing. I've been surprised at how good shape much of the OE rubber on my van has been when removed, and suspect even old OE rubber may be better than *most* of what is available now.
So, always replace window seals just because?

Unless you are the original owner of the van I don't know how you can confirm that the seals that you removed are the OE seals. If they are still pliable and crack free you should give it a try but just be prepared that your glass reinstallation project may need to be paused when one of the old seals fails during reinstallation.
[email protected]
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

i'd reuse them if they were in good shape, but i would not reuse the ones with the plastic trim.

i know it's up for debate, but i think the trim fattens the seal up a bit to aid in sealing. obviously these aren't bead lock seals (think 80's GM truck/van) but i do think it makes a difference.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
dobryan Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

nmerrill wrote:
I've got all the windows out and every seal I removed appeared in great shape. No cracks or tears while removing. I've been surprised at how good shape much of the OE rubber on my van has been when removed, and suspect even old OE rubber may be better than *most* of what is available now.

I'd run those seals if they are in great shape. You never know what quality you will get with replacements.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The West Coast Westy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

I found two local independent places that could get the green shade band.
I went with what may be a 1-man show, with good reviews.

16CVís, you are right about the insurance Co. Iím not getting into details, but I had to start a claim, they called back with the amount they would pay, if more have the glass guy call them for an adjustment.

Years ago, I dropped off the car with my keys and my name, my insurance broker name, returned later in the day and picked up my car. I never contacted the insurance company at all.
[email protected]
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

don't even get me going on ins co's and people with extended warranties.

the last one i dealt with wanted to pay 52/hr. told them nope...labor is 1xx.xx an hour.

after much back and forth (which i told them i was billing for) they agreed to pay.

girl on the phone asked "how do you sleep with yourself at night?"

told her i sleep fine on a pillow full of money. she about shit herself. fuck ins co's... they don't give me a break so why should i return the favor.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

If your local hillbillies would just think past their nose you wouldnít have to want to get into the glass business which has shitty margins and Ins companies that dictate what they will pay. It ainít no get rich scheme.

35 years ago, an independent guy could leave with 3 jobs and break 2 and still make money. Yes our suppliers keep our best interest st heart, if they start selling to the dealers and repair shops then their regulars customers (like me) would be pissed and go elsewhere. I tried to get an account with one of your wholesalers that the shops but from and was told the same thing about MOQ and a minimum per month.

I have for years advocated staying away from the 10K gorillas and look for a good independent guy. Always look for a hungry guy. Heís the one most likely to help you out.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:

This is such child's play and these guys are either Lazy or stupid.

Stacy

how about both?

it's maddening the fucking hoops i jump thru for the most basic things.

i honestly got so pissed off i called PPG/PGW direct and tried to get an account. long story short the juice isn't worth the squeeze and to add to that the amount of glass they want you to move is insane.

i have no need want or desire to get into the glass biz. i will say, you guys have one fucking hell of a lobby.... they have glass locked down like it was gold. i wish the auto biz was the same way

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

There seems to plenty of Green shaded glasses in 3 warehouses in Ma. Ask your vendor if he buys from Mygrant Glass?

This is such child's play and these guys are either Lazy or stupid.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
XYG is on the glass. i can grab a photo if you want

I have 2 places searching. I should hear back from both tomorrow.
Itís looking like Iíll be doing my vacation with busted glass, because I canít imagine them getting glass in time.

I can get the blue band one by the end of the week...
[email protected]
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

may as well be som-ting-wong...

XYG is on the glass. i can grab a photo if you want

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
call around, the green/green is for sure available as i have one in my van at the moment.
]

That's what I am doing. What brand is the green band - PGW or other?
[email protected]
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

call around, the green/green is for sure available as i have one in my van at the moment.

like i said on the phone, not great but not near as obnoxious as the blue. i have a parts van with the blue band in it.... yuck.

i'd be curious to see you seal. i still have to hunt another one down as i feel the WCM cost me my original glass[/s]

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

Someone had mentioned to me they had gotten a no-shade band windshield @ Safelite. I went down to Safelite today and they spent some time looking, but they can only get the blue band.

My windshield broke and I am going away and I am now in time crunch. I was hoping they would have the greenband and I would be OK with it.

Not much choice for me at this point.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

that said, anyone have any other company that has an original style NON TRIM 'cal look' seal they can suggest?

I installed a windshield with in my vanagon last year without issue. My seal was made by Vewib.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

Itís not just down there, I donít warrant customer supplied glass at all.
Samba member # 14980
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

I had the windshield out installing my dash AC. I purchased a replacement black windshield seal for Bus Depot. No problems with fit. I also used their seals for the side windows when I went to jalousies, but that's not a good example.

New glass is actually very flexible compared to 30 year old glass. Down here the glass shops don't guarantee they won't break used glass.

In Car https://youtu.be/5hbfdUJR88Q
dobryan Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

I have always had good results with window seals from Bus Depot but it has been a few years since I last used them.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The West Coast Westy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: