Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

edit: if you've been following along got to page 2 where we got the glass in. the WCM seal isn't right

anyone here happen to know the p/n for the windshield glass?

my glass guy of 20 years is ghosting me. i spoke to my old boss at the dealership (where i met said glass guy) and he's been doing the same to him.

anyway, old boss gave me the number of a guy who he said is "ok" Confused

i called said guy and wanted a clear glass (ok, tinted) but i want NO shade line/upper tint. i absolutely can't stand it on anything with an almost vertical windshield. it's right in my sightline and drives me batshit crazy.

the "new" glass guy said the only ones available are the ones with the shade line. i really hope this isn't the case. i'm trying to remember the glass wholesale place my old glass guy gets his stuff from...may have to call them but my fear is that it's the same place the new glass guy gets his stuff too.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history

Last edited by skills@eurocarsplus on Tue May 04, 2021 7:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

This is the glass I just received - no shade line.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this was the "upgraded" glass from the ultra cheap Chinese glass. Still made in china, but apparently better than the really cheap Chinese glass.

Looks like there are 4 part numbers associated with tint:
FW00416 BTN - blue tint?
FW00416 GBN - green tint, blue visor?
FW00416 GGN - green tint, green visor?
FW00416 GTN - green tint

don't know how to fully decipher the numbers though. blue tint; Green tint, etc?

Last edited by Franklinstower on Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

251 845 101 - green
251 845 101 A - clear
251 845 101 B - with built in antenna
251 845 102 - green with blue visor
251 845 103 - green with green visor
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/us/volkswagen/type-25/body-parts/window-glass.html

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

That sticker is right on the money. That company PGW until a short while ago only had Shaded Windshields for this application.

Our other supplier now only has them with a green band at the top. I just did a nationwide search and those are he only possibilities.

There is a PGW distributor in Hartford. I have no idea how far that is from you.

If you give your glass guy that part number you should get what you want.
"FW 416 GTN"

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

THANK YOU

so what you're saying is the windshield has a green tint to it but no shade line/tint at the top.

the p/n for that is FW 416 GTN correct?

16CVs that is exactly where he gets the glass. do you happen to know the name of the place? i was thinking it was CT Glass but it may be Pilkington North America Inc.

how does this glass fit? any issues? i know we have had a hell of a time with bay window glass. so much so we've had to re-radius the top corners

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
THANK YOU

so what you're saying is the windshield has a green tint to it but no shade line/tint at the top.

the p/n for that is FW 416 GTN correct?

Yes, my glass with that part number has a very slight tint to it, no tint band on top.
I haven't installed it yet, currently its in a window out pre paint stage so I can't comment on the fit.
When I got my glass, I had two options only, and this was the higher end option so hopefully it fits well. $135 plus tx.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

That website I posted has all the glass for all the windows without tint
They also are showing that they will have Jalouse windows in the future.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

Skills

Contact me through PM or call me, my number is one of my ads. I can probably get you hooked up with a glass.

Yes the bus glass is tight on the upper corners, I usually end up grinding them to fit.

In cases lie yours where your Glass guy is un willing to help you get the right part, I advise going on to Craigslist and looking for a local independent glass guy. We all buy from the same warehouse and it shows as a stocked item within PGW. If it is not at their branch they can always do an intercompany transfer or ship it if your in a big hurry.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

Will do. thanks for the offer. When I have a minute I will reach out to you for sure

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

i'm 6'2" and use the top of the glass frequently.. had a replacement windshield and assumed the replacement would be like the original, no tint band, but when it came there it was. REALLY bothered me at first and now i don't see it at all. so. if you end up with a tint band, i think you can deal with it. adapt or die, right?

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

A few years ago I was looking for a windshield for my thirty year old Mercedes. During my search I found a Yelp feature that allowed me to post a request for an estimate from all the local glass installers. Since I was going to do the install myself, I just asked for the glass price. About four retailers got back to me and I went with the lowest bid. I got a Chinese PGW that fit perfect. It was a super easy process

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
if you end up with a tint band, i think you can deal with it. adapt or die, right?

i'd rather die. i'm 6'4" and had the displeasure of driving a bay window long enough with the shade line to make me never want a windshield with one again.

the edge of the tint was on the ragged edge of my sightline and any bump i hit made it so i was looking thru tinted bifocals. annoying during the day, infuriating at night.

i'm fine with the shade line in my Audi...or other 'normal' car for that matter. the R Model Mack had the windshield replaced for the same reason. i just can't do it

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

FML

the nice, clean original windshield cracked when he tried to push it back out. upon install it didn't pull the seal right. long story and my blood pressure is high enough already it's about to squirt out of my eyes Twisted Evil

so, i'm going to have to use that miserable shade line pile of shit until i can get my hands on a clear piece of glass. i want to put my face in a blender already.

16CVs has been a great help in finding the glass i want. if my dud of a glass guy can't or won't do what 16CV's is willing to do for me then it basically means a trip to Boston for me to pick up the glass.

bottom line is it's available, but for whatever reason my normal glass guy isn't willing to do the leg work.

people wonder why i fucking hate outsourcing stuff....here is a classic example. and to rant even more....i posted this thread about a month ago AFTER spending about 2 weeks trying to get a handle on the situation before i waved the white flag and posted.

this is my personal rig.... but imagine if it were for a customer. my head would have been on a stake and my shop burnt to the ground. no matter how much pre-game planning i do it's always a clusterfuck

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
FML

the nice, clean original windshield cracked when he tried to push it back out. upon install it didn't pull the seal right. long story and my blood pressure is high enough already it's about to squirt out of my eyes Twisted Evil

so, i'm going to have to use that miserable shade line pile of shit until i can get my hands on a clear piece of glass. i want to put my face in a blender already.

16CVs has been a great help in finding the glass i want. if my dud of a glass guy can't or won't do what 16CV's is willing to do for me then it basically means a trip to Boston for me to pick up the glass.

bottom line is it's available, but for whatever reason my normal glass guy isn't willing to do the leg work.

people wonder why i fucking hate outsourcing stuff....here is a classic example. and to rant even more....i posted this thread about a month ago AFTER spending about 2 weeks trying to get a handle on the situation before i waved the white flag and posted.

this is my personal rig.... but imagine if it were for a customer. my head would have been on a stake and my shop burnt to the ground. no matter how much pre-game planning i do it's always a clusterfuck

Add that with Hi shipping and you get a heart attack Twisted Evil
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

I’m trying to source this windshield now as well (in NY). Contacted two glass places, Safelite and a small independent place. Awaiting call-back from both.
Safelite makes one use the website-then after you fill out the form it says we will have to contact you about your classic.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

here's the deal...

16CV's has been kind enough to help me out with this. here is what i can tell you...

all you're going to find easily in our area is the green tinted windshield (which is fine) but WITH the green shade line/tint band. believe me...i have called everyone from NY to ME trying to find what i want.

what 16CV's has offered me is to order windows from PGW and have them dropped at their Boston warehouse..... it could take 2 days, it could be 4-6 weeks....just depends on how the truck does the 'relay race' from warehouse to warehouse

i can't get my fool glass guy to function. after this, i'm done with him.... after 20 years this is the last straw. anyway i am going to take 16CV's up on his offer...just need to pound out the details

i plan on ordering a bunch....like 3 or 4 windshields. fuck it...may as well get them while the getting is good. if you want in on this i can ask him how he'd like to proceed. neither one of us would be making any money on this but i'd be willing to help you out seeing you're in MA it may work out?

problem is the time line.... who knows how long it will take. at this point, i just need a windshield. i'm beyond fucking angry that mine got broken....

anyway, message me and i'll give you my # and i can tell you what i know. i'd be happy to keep you out of that shitty shade line if i can help you out

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

Add that with Hi shipping and you get a heart attack Twisted Evil

Laughing yea, that's next....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

I contacted my local PGW wholesaler/distributor. He had the windshield in his warehouse for me in less than a week. Problem was that he couldn't sell it to me directly so...he called in a local installer that has an account with him and I met the installer in the warehouse parking lot and purchased it from him for $150.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

^^^^^

that's basically what we have to do here. 16CV's is willing to help me do this. i really have no need to get into the glass business but after this shitshow i have been considering opening an account.... but like many things in life if i'm not doing their numbers sales wise they may not want to give me an account....

anyway i appreciate all the help/input.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: