Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

if you were doing this for a customer they'd be getting the 'standard' green band tint..
if the customer wanted a custom (clear) glass.. then you now know that comes with custom wait times and custom prices..

and since it's glass, no guarantees it won't crack on install..

I know you go thru shyt with the Bay glass available ..

it is what it is.. and the customer pays for special feelings..

now of you want a old/used vanagon windshield.. I have a couple up here in (the real) upstate NY.. they're free 4 pickup.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

thank you for the offer, and i may take you up on that.

normally i'd jump in the sharTTuck and be on my way. my big problem is time....i just don't have it. my chain is very short these days and i can't be gone for too long.

between customer obligations and farm related stuff i just can't venture off like i use to. hopefully, it will get better in a bit but i could clone myself X3 and still not have enough help with my current workload. i'm thankful for the work but it's getting old....

anyway to your point.... yea glass is a pain in the ass most times. what i'm REALLY pissed about is the fact my original window broke...it was useable and would have bought me some time.

add to that every glass shop i have called...i get the same answer "not available" so either all of these guys don't have the contacts like 16CV's or that is truly the case.

16CV's assures me they ARE in fact available. i spoke with him today and come monday we will finalize the order. i'm literally going to order a stack of them and hoard them. fuck it...i have the space and i'm fussy enough to tie up 1k in glass if that's what has to happen.

if it were easy....everyone would do it Wink

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
GG099
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

This is my replacement windshield.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

GG099 wrote:

Is that a recent replacement? If so, it’s just old stock. PPG exited glass and paint in 2017.
PPG glass now redirects to PGW.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
GG099 wrote:

Is that a recent replacement? If so, it’s just old stock. PPG exited glass and paint in 2017.

Odd that they still have a paint store here then...
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

khughes wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:
GG099 wrote:

Odd that they still have a paint store here then...

Sorry not paint, fiberglass.
Paint is still PPG. Glass and fiberglass divisions sold off.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad

so not only did i have to temporarily settle on a glass i didn't want, it was a total twat to install.

my very useable original VW glass broke upon re-installation which i was pissed about for obvious reasons. my glass guy is good when i can get him here, and i thought he could have used a bit more lube installing it, hence the cracked window.

anyway he came today to put the fugly green band glass in. put the seal on and son of a bitch if it didn't sit in the channel the same way my OE did with the new seal... a bit proud of the window frame

anyone who has done rope in windows long enough will tell you when lubed up/roped up and ready for install you should basically be able to sink the glass into the frame until the "lips" of the seal the rope is under just about kiss the pinch weld. as in...you can almost push the glass all the way in

this wasn't the case here

so, after much consideration and 1 attempt pulling this glass in....and running into the same issue as we did with this seal on my old glass we pulled the whole deal out and shaved about 1/8" off the glass:

you can see the yellow tape we ran on the glass. he's hitting it with my die grinder and a 36 grit disk

this is what 1/8" of shaved glass looks like when it's dry

the common denominator was the seal from west coast metric we think the fucking seal was made wrong. after we cleaned 1/8" off the glass it dropped in the windshield hole as it should have and roped right in, no problems

fucking barf Crying or Very sad

so, bottom line the seal costs me my original glass. no use complaining to WCM because i'm sure i'm going to hear "we never had that problem before" or some such bullshit....but it was the only thing that makes sense.

that said, anyone have any other company that has an original style NON TRIM 'cal look' seal they can suggest?

i'm not going thru this when my clear glass shows up unless it's unavoidable. i'm beyond pissed that this seal cost my my original glass, and almost the replacement glass ass well.

my glass guy is a good dude and we've been down this road in the past. he's one of the few that will actually do rope in windows anymore. i told him i will look for a different seal as the WCM is clearly too thick

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

I've purchased plenty of things from WCM over the years and have never been disappointed but I've never purchased any window seals from them.

We purchased all of the seals for our Vanagon from Bus Depot and used paracord (and on some windows weedeater line) along with soapy water (not Vaseline) for the reinstall of all of the windows including the windshield after a paint job. Our new windshield came from PGW and did not require any grinding to make it fit in the opening.

We still have a couple of leaks from the lower corners windshield seal that we need to figure out (based on my research on this forum it seems to be a very common Vanagon issue).

There are plenty of sources for window seals and many offer options (German versus Brazilian seals with and without the chrome strip channel). Check out Bus Depot, Van Cafe, Bus Lab, CIP1 and there's probably a few others. I tend to buy from Bus Depot when I can since I'm only one state over from their location.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

I have always had good results with window seals from Bus Depot but it has been a few years since I last used them.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

I had the windshield out installing my dash AC. I purchased a replacement black windshield seal for Bus Depot. No problems with fit. I also used their seals for the side windows when I went to jalousies, but that's not a good example.

New glass is actually very flexible compared to 30 year old glass. Down here the glass shops don't guarantee they won't break used glass.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

It’s not just down there, I don’t warrant customer supplied glass at all.
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

that said, anyone have any other company that has an original style NON TRIM 'cal look' seal they can suggest?

I installed a windshield with in my vanagon last year without issue. My seal was made by Vewib.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

Someone had mentioned to me they had gotten a no-shade band windshield @ Safelite. I went down to Safelite today and they spent some time looking, but they can only get the blue band.

My windshield broke and I am going away and I am now in time crunch. I was hoping they would have the greenband and I would be OK with it.

Not much choice for me at this point.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

call around, the green/green is for sure available as i have one in my van at the moment.

like i said on the phone, not great but not near as obnoxious as the blue. i have a parts van with the blue band in it.... yuck.

i'd be curious to see you seal. i still have to hunt another one down as i feel the WCM cost me my original glass[/s]

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

call around, the green/green is for sure available as i have one in my van at the moment.
]

That's what I am doing. What brand is the green band - PGW or other?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

may as well be som-ting-wong...

XYG is on the glass. i can grab a photo if you want

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

XYG is on the glass. i can grab a photo if you want

I have 2 places searching. I should hear back from both tomorrow.
It’s looking like I’ll be doing my vacation with busted glass, because I can’t imagine them getting glass in time.

I can get the blue band one by the end of the week...
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

There seems to plenty of Green shaded glasses in 3 warehouses in Ma. Ask your vendor if he buys from Mygrant Glass?

This is such child's play and these guys are either Lazy or stupid.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:

This is such child's play and these guys are either Lazy or stupid.

Stacy

how about both?

it's maddening the fucking hoops i jump thru for the most basic things.

i honestly got so pissed off i called PPG/PGW direct and tried to get an account. long story short the juice isn't worth the squeeze and to add to that the amount of glass they want you to move is insane.

i have no need want or desire to get into the glass biz. i will say, you guys have one fucking hell of a lobby.... they have glass locked down like it was gold. i wish the auto biz was the same way

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

If your local hillbillies would just think past their nose you wouldn’t have to want to get into the glass business which has shitty margins and Ins companies that dictate what they will pay. It ain’t no get rich scheme.

35 years ago, an independent guy could leave with 3 jobs and break 2 and still make money. Yes our suppliers keep our best interest st heart, if they start selling to the dealers and repair shops then their regulars customers (like me) would be pissed and go elsewhere. I tried to get an account with one of your wholesalers that the shops but from and was told the same thing about MOQ and a minimum per month.

I have for years advocated staying away from the 10K gorillas and look for a good independent guy. Always look for a hungry guy. He’s the one most likely to help you out.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: