Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TheDiamondDrake's 1972 Super Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDiamondDrake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject: TheDiamondDrake's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Greetings volks, this is my first air cooled VW. It's a 1972 super beetle. This has been sitting for two years since I overheated the engine. Two months before I melted it I had spent all winter installing a new wiring harness. >:
Here it is a picture of the side of it with the engine out and under a tarp.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Since then, and a few cars later, I have much more experience/understanding with cars altogether. So two weeks ago I picked up an engine + tranny for $1200 that I found at a car show here in Daytona. I bought a 1000 lbd wire frame lawn cart from Harbor Freight to put it on so I can bring it into my apartment and work with it.

My plans are to remove all of the stuff except the long block, clean, inspect, paint, and replace if necessary. Eventually, I'll bolt to my super and hopefully get a few years out of it as a daily driver. Stay tuned, I'll post updates.

Here are some images of the motor after I put in on the cart.

Last edited by TheDiamondDrake on Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
TheDiamondDrake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Carburator Reply with quote

Since my other engine is 76 miles away from my apartment, I decided to rebuild the on on the engine I have here. I've never rebuilt a carburetor before so it's my first time.

The air filter was clogged and the chrome was rusty so I ordered a new one along with the carburetor rebuild kit. The carburetor kit didn't come with a float, but mine looked okay so I reused it. Seals were okay, but the bolts weren't the right length so I reused my old ones.

I soaked it for a day in carb cleaner then blasted it with brake cleaner. In hindsight I should've let it sit in evap-o-rust for a few days, but I didn't buy any until afterwords when my father suggested it. The manifold studs/bolts/nut were removed and soaked in evap-o-rust for two days.

I broke the water/air choke trying to get the bolt off, and then I had to destroy it with a dremel to get the 3-bolt metal holder thing off, so I ordered an electric choke too.

part numbers:

Left: 32/36 DGAV33B1
Right: 01402

Amazon links to part numbers:
Carburator Rebuild kit
Air Filter
Electric Choke

AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: TheDiamondDrake's 1973 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Nice project so far. Smile . You sure it’s a 1973 Super? This beetle has a flat windshield and supers starting in 1973 had curved windshields. Possibly the vin has been switched at one point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: TheDiamondDrake's 1973 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Nice project but *not* a '73 Super Beetle.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDiamondDrake's 1973 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Cool, good luck with it. Your dog is checking for vacuum leaks. Hey, room looks like your girlfriend stole your shit.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDiamondDrake's 1973 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Looks like fun, enjoy the build
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
TheDiamondDrake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDiamondDrake's 1973 Super Beetle Reply with quote

AutoMechanic wrote:
Nice project so far. Smile . You sure it’s a 1973 Super? This beetle has a flat windshield and supers starting in 1973 had curved windshields. Possibly the vin has been switched at one point.

I'm pretty sure it's a super beetle. It has the flat tire spot instead of the slanted tire spot and the super front suspension/taller front seats/sway bar. I'll take more pictures of the body when I put the motor in it.

About the flat windshield. I read on J-bugs that the 72-73.5 super used the flat windshield.

Last edited by TheDiamondDrake on Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
TheDiamondDrake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDiamondDrake's 1973 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I took off the intake manifold and the tin. I found that one of the fins is missing and another one is broke over cylinder 3. It sucks but it isn't catestrophic.

I've also removed the transmission, since the one on my super is still okay, and I want to be able to pivot the engine so I can see underneath. The push rod tubes are damaged, so I had to order some new push rod tubes off amazon since I warped them from sitting on the raised edges of my card. So I pulled apart the push rod assembly to check and thankfully my rods are straight.

I have a seal kit on order as well. Now that I have access to the bottom of the engine I'm going to change the oil screen and add an oil filter to the oil pump.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDiamondDrake's 1973 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Quote:
I read on J-bugs that the 72-73.5 super used the flat windshield.
That's not accurate. All Super Beetles had the spare tire lying flat instead of upright/slanted on Standard Beetles. The front suspension on Supers is the MacPherson strut design. Correctly spelled with Mac... and not Mc... 1971 and 1972 model year Super Beetles had the "flat" windshield like on yours. It's not really flat, but has a slight curve to it. It's called "flat" to differentiate with the much larger and bowed windshield that started with the '73 model year (production as of August 1972).

Your VIN should start with 132 if it's a 1972 model year; the 13 is a Super Beetle sedan, and the 2 is the model year. A '73 Super would be 133. A '71 is 131, but a '71 has a smaller rear window size that does not go as far up into the roof, and an engine lid with 2 columns of engine cooling vents. '72 lids had 4 columns of vents, though a later lid is easily retrofitted to a '71.
TheDiamondDrake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDiamondDrake's 1973 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
I read on J-bugs that the 72-73.5 super used the flat windshield.
That's not accurate. All Super Beetles had the spare tire lying flat instead of upright/slanted on Standard Beetles. The front suspension on Supers is the MacPherson strut design. Correctly spelled with Mac... and not Mc... 1971 and 1972 model year Super Beetles had the "flat" windshield like on yours. It's not really flat, but has a slight curve to it. It's called "flat" to differentiate with the much larger and bowed windshield that started with the '73 model year (production as of August 1972).

Your VIN should start with 132 if it's a 1972 model year; the 13 is a Super Beetle sedan, and the 2 is the model year. A '73 Super would be 133. A '71 is 131, but a '71 has a smaller rear window size that does not go as far up into the roof, and an engine lid with 2 columns of engine cooling vents. '72 lids had 4 columns of vents, though a later lid is easily retrofitted to a '71.

Thanks for your comment. It has the MacPherson strut for sure. I could definitely be wrong on the year of the chassy, since I've seen 4 different colors of paint underneath the dark green which is a sign of a franken-beetle.
This is my first VW, so I'm a noob. I'll make sure to take a look at the numbers when I visit the body again. The body is 70 miles away atm.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: